Thread: Chameleoning

MBTI
    INTP

Default Chameleoning

Is this solely an INTP activity?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
    Some times I get intuitions about people which I tend to base on my chameleon-like personality. Does anyone trust their intuitions when they first meet someone?
    Only when the person isn't especially attractive.

MBTI
    INTP

According to the French it is.

The basics is there, but it is not found.

A not found basicness > alienation.
    Alienation > cameleonation.

Le Senne was the first to find the context. The existentialist philosophers owe to him.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

No, I don't think it is. It just seems more prominent in INTPs because they have no real connection skills (except an adaptation of Ne) to fall back upon in their informal relationships with others, so they rely on a very weak form of Fe to begin with.

Since there's no real innate sense of how to connect on the emotional levels -- just the intellectual -- the easiest way to not flub up is to mirror what the other person is emoting.

But this has been examined outside of the MBTI. One book I've read deals with the "monitoring" capability in people, categorizing people for convenience into high monitors and low monitors.

High monitors implement the chameleon-like ability; they are constantly watching themselves and their actions from the outside and mirroring what is around them (or being who others expect them to be) in order to feel accepted. Low monitors don't seem to have the same ability or desire to look at themselves from the outside and monitor their behavior that way, tending instead to being simply "who they are" and forcing everyone else to deal with the conflicts/disparity.

Both types are highly visible in INTPs on various INTPs here and on MBTIc. So it's not just an INTP thing. It seems that those with more focus on Ti and less Ne seem to fit the "low monitor" category, while those more focused on Ne and less Ti seem to be higher brands of monitors.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

I know an ENFJ who's a big chameleon as well.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpei View Post
    I know an ENFJ who's a big chameleon as well.
    I think the Fe-Se connection that gives ENFJs the ability to respond with appropriate reactions in real time. Responding "appropriately" depends on the situation and people involved which of course means some chameleoning.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think everyone chameleons to varying degrees in order to function in society. A fuzzy mix of the person's personality, current mood, and situation determine the extent to which it occurs. I'd imagine IP types would have a greater likelyhood of chameleoning in a given situation, but the ability isn't limited to them, and I don't think any healthy person will always chameleon rather than simply being themselves, either.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Low monitors don't seem to have the same ability or desire to look at themselves from the outside and monitor their behavior that way, tending instead to being simply "who they are" and forcing everyone else to deal with the conflicts/disparity.
    I developed the skill of chameleoning fairly late in grade school, but I only did so as a survival tactic. I was forced into it after several bad episodes in which my lack of conformity came back and bit me on the tochis.

Now, of course, I pretty much let it all hang out...which comes as no surprise to you I'm certain.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I think the Fe-Se connection that gives ENFJs the ability to respond with appropriate reactions in real time. Responding "appropriately" depends on the situation and people involved which of course means some chameleoning.
    Have you ever been in the situation where you absolutely know what you want to say, have it on the tip of your tongue, and are so committed to it that you can't think of any other response, but you also know that what you want to say is absolutely the wrong thing to say for social reasons?

When I'm there, my options are A) look like an idiot, or B) look like an idiot.

And then there are times when I just look like an idiot in passing.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    Have you ever been in the situation where you absolutely know what you want to say, have it on the tip of your tongue, and are so committed to it that you can't think of any other response, but you also know that what you want to say is absolutely the wrong thing to say for social reasons?

When I'm there, my options are A) look like an idiot, or B) look like an idiot.

And then there are times when I just look like an idiot in passing.

I'd think to myself what is the outcome of saying what I want to say and do I want to deal with the reactions. I blurt out stuff all the time that is completely inappropriate (surprise!) but I am rarely unaware of the effects of what I say or how people are going to respond. Sometimes I say inappropriate things to illicit a response which is what I was after all along. Some people seem oblivious to the effects of what they say and I think those people would benefit the most from chameleoning. I'm not oblivious, I customize, which means I'm mostly aware of my audience, hence my chameleoning isn't merely copying behaviors (that's the best explanation I can come up with right now).

If I'm going to look like an idiot, I knew that in advance and didn't really care. When I'm genuinely afraid of looking stupid I don't say anything.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3