Thread: Chameleoning

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Schizm View Post
    Holy sh*t. I talked to an ENFJ for a while and the whole time I didn't realize it. I was being chameleoned. A chameleon chameleoning a chameleon.
    For some bizarre reason, I am recalling the images of Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog unzipping and stepping out of their costumes, back and forth, until you have no idea who is who anymore...

(Holy fractal imagery, Batman!)

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    BlueWing you have this way of turning everything into a discussion about philosophers, philosophy, and their type. People could be talking about ironing underwear and duckpin bowling and yet you'd find a way to make it about philosophy.
    Thanks, PM. Now we'll have to listen to an analysis of Rosseau's fetish with women's corsets while bowling a 7-10 split. *groan*

I think this is something I need to learn because I have this habit of talking to people and actually being somewhat attentive to topic. This isn't always a good thing, especially when I want people to shut up and leave me alone. If only I could learn how to stop being so relevant. I'm going to take a page out of your book and learn this valuable life skill.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Were you being sarcastic, proteanmix?
    I think she was being sarcastic and serious at once -- quite a beautiful comment, to serve two purposes at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    I keep thinking of the poor Norma.
    Anyway, she was the true INTP chameleonne.
    She said: I think I am a phony.
    The Marilyn thingie was an expensive price to pay to fit in.
    And in the end she did not fit in.
    Uh huh. The irony is immeasurable: She is one of the most famous women internationally in the 20th century... but it was just an image. Who was the real Norma? She died alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewing
    And of course, on the low-high monitoring spectrum, I am on the radical precipitous end of the low monitoring type as my Ti is preponderous bombastic over my Ne, as this in part is the reason why my inner identity is sound calcified and why my self-esteem is very high stratospheric.
    Fixed!

Though, as one correction to Jennifer, INTPs who identify better with the high-monitoring type are not influenced by Ne more than Ti in a way that ENTPs are. The case is that they lack self-esteem because they were unable to build a solid inner identity. They just use their Ne to float around, they cant feel at home in the external world by adapting the way that ENTPs can and certainly cant base their self-esteem in accordance to their external situation. They still use Ti more than Ne, yet much less efficiently than their low-monitoring counterparts. (Inefficiently because they tend to have less confidence in their Ti as they havent built a sound inner identity.)
    I'll think more about this, it's an interesting variation. *pondering*
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

BlueWing you have this way of turning everything into a discussion about philosophers, philosophy, and their type. People could be talking about ironing underwear and duckpin bowling and yet you'd find a way to make it about philosophy.

I think this is something I need to learn because I have this habit of talking to people and actually being somewhat attentive to topic. This isn't always a good thing, especially when I want people to shut up and leave me alone. If only I could learn how to stop being so relevant. I'm going to take a page out of your book and learn this valuable life skill.

Teach me.
    Here is what you seem to misunderstand. Extroversion-Adapt to your environment. Introversion-Pressure your environment to adapt to your agenda.

There was a connection between what was said and philosophy, virtually anything can be connected to philosophy. But nonetheless thats not the point. The point is that the connection was there and you were unable to see it due to your lack of proficiency with Extroverted Intuition.

An individualistic person carries on with his endeavors regardless of the external circumstances. A collectivist minded person conforms.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Here is what you seem to misunderstand. Extroversion-Adapt to your environment. Introversion-Pressure your environment to adapt to your agenda.

There was a connection between what was said and philosophy, virtually anything can be connected to philosophy. But nonetheless thats not the point. The point is that the connection was there and you were unable to see it due to your lack of proficiency with Extroverted Intuition.

An individualistic person carries on with his endeavors regardless of the external circumstances. A collectivist minded person conforms.
    Keep it up! I'm an excellent student.

And I could add that your lack of proficiency with Extraverted Feeling inhibits you from noticing the glazed eyes and cricket choir that seems to result whenever you start to drone.

And honestly it's not so much that you do it, it's that you turn every topic into variants of the same discussion. Do you have anything else to contribute? I don't know if philosophy can or can't be connected to various topics, you just seem myopically determined to find a way to make that connection. Regardless of if people want to hear it or not, regardless of if it's relevant to the topic at hand, almost as if it's your only talking point or something or possibly the only thing you feel comfortable and confident enough to talk about at length.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Keep it up! I'm an excellent student.

And I could add that your lack of proficiency with Extraverted Feeling inhibits you from noticing the glazed eyes and cricket choir that seems to result whenever you start to drone.

And honestly it's not so much that you do it, it's that you turn every topic into variants of the same discussion. Do you have anything else to contribute? I don't know if philosophy can or can't be connected to various topics, you just seem myopically determined to find a way to make that connection. Regardless of if people want to hear it or not, regardless of if it's relevant to the topic at hand, almost as if it's your only talking point or something or possibly the only thing you feel comfortable and confident enough to talk about at length.
    There is nothing myopical about turning every discussion into a philosophy discussion because nothing escapes the province of philosophy.

If I really thought about how others would react to this, perhaps I'd notice. But again, I dont see why that should matter as I am driven only by my sense of inner/higher purpose.

I dont think about what I have to contribute. Remember, extroversion is the attitude that makes us think about how we relate to the external environment. I think about what the environment can do for me than the other way around. I post because it is entailed by a higher purpose that I have in mind and has nothing to do with the concrete, ostensible circumstances that are imposed upon us.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Enneagram
    1w2

Post about Plato's/Socrates' Type moved here.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3