User Tag List

123 Last

Default Do you ever get "hungry" for a good argument?

epistemological, teleological, scientific, or even mathematical?

For me this hunger for an argument feels a lot like hunger for food. I tend to overeat, when I haven't had my intelectual fill.

Anyone have similar issues?

Maybe experienced in a very different way? Use your imagination.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Yes, I do, often; and it's difficult to find people who don't feel personally threatened by competitive exchanges, let alone those who enjoy controversy. An ISTJ recently told me that I "just like to argue," and while disappointed with what was her refusal to continue a minor debate, I took the remark as a compliment.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    9w6

No. Never just for the sake of arguing. I don't think people need an annexation of my inner conflict.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

No. See above.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ENfP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sx/sp

Not quite "argue". Just to rant/debate/speculate...although most of the time I'm fine with just letting things roll around in my own mind so that I can keep improving them until someone brings them up.

It's kind of the reverse of hunger for me...more like a bloating feeling. Like letting out gas...it can build up sometimes and it feels better after it's all out.

sparkly sparkly rainbow excretions

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    holy shit am I a feeler?
    if you like my avatar, it's because i took it myself! : D

MBTI
    ENTJ

Yes I do but I'm careful to do it with the right kind of people.

Quote Originally Posted by niffer View Post
    Not quite "argue". Just to rant/debate/speculate...although most of the time I'm fine with just letting things roll around in my own mind so that I can keep improving them until someone brings them up.

It's kind of the reverse of hunger for me...more like a bloating feeling. Like letting out gas...it can build up sometimes and it feels better after it's all out.

I actually meant more like this (though the feeling is still hunger).

By argument, I meant:Logical argument - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you were to interpret it in the other way, I am hungry to lose an argument. I want to lose an argument not because the other person is more obstinate than I am, but because I clearly see that he or she is right.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP

I love a good debate. All of my fondest childhood memories of my INTJ dad were arguments. I don't often get hungry for arguments though, I just enjoy them when they come up. I wave my hands, I raise my voice, I laugh scornfully, smirk dismissively and reductio ad absurdum like there's no tomorrow. But only with certain people in certain environments, where I know I'm not going to permanently offend anyone. I'm especially fond of arguing ridiculous positions and playing devil's advocate. But I have to be reasonably familiar with a topic to enjoy arguing it.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I dont think seeking for arguments for their own sake, and I do think my discussions evolve into arguments very often. If I challenge groupthink in some way, people often rely on the opinions and conceptions they formed while in group, giving a chance for short discussion. The depth and bredth of arguments in such systems of thought is rapidly handled. Same goes for any thought systems with poor or flawed argumentative power or logical basis. I dont think my discussion partners ever feel humiliated, they just run out of arguments to provide for their case, and are soon forced to operate outside their thought system. They then notice a new point in how their thought system is related to outside world, which is uncharted territory for them, and provides them with a new learning opportunity. I often find in future conversations that the person has studied such new areas after they noticed them.

If someone is interested in handling information gracefully, discussions often evolve into appreciating each others observations, and we handle multiple topics that we appreciate in the same conversation.

If the person presents a good case on some though system I haven't known before, I become an appreciating inquirer and a challenger, but not in the way that I would hold sure that I am right.

If the person presents a bad case of argument to justify actions or a social philosophy I consider distasteful or inefficient, I will go to the end of it the tear that system apart, not the person, tho. It's not an argument, more like moving the lawn or cleaning a closet.

If the a point is being made that is challenging and well-presented but supports an offending conclusion, then I would say that argument starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    If the a point is being made that is challenging and well-presented but supports an offending conclusion, then I would say that argument starts.
    And in such a conditions I have an intense craving to be presented with an incredibly clear argument to convince me of the "offending" position.

I've been going to an evangelical bible study for 5 years now, looking for such an argument (in the philosophical sense, not in the "shouting match" sense).

Robot Fusion