• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's Opinion on school

Unique

Being an NT,

Did you excel at school?

Is theory easier for intuitive types?

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theory's, not really caring about the ones being taught?

In your opinion what temperament are schools most geared towards? SJ, SP, NT or NF ?

Any other thoughts on school?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Did you excel at school?

Hah... no.

Perhaps. Easy for me.

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theory's, not really caring about the ones being taught?

Sometimes.

In your opinion what temperament are schools most geared towards? SJ, SP, NT or NF ?

SJ

It's a massive ball of suck..?

juggernaut

Permabanned
Being an NT,

Did you excel at school?
Yes

Yes

Yes and no. Had my own ideas, but was interested in other theories as well.

SJ, totally

I absolutely loathed high school, despite doing extremely well. School didn't get interesting until college. Now there's no other place I belong or would rather be.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
1. I excelled when I cared enough to do the work.

2. It's extremely easy for me.

C. I drifted into my own world when certain theories (which I could poke holes into) were regarded as law. But I've always been generally interested in new theories and stuff, so I'm in the middle.

F. SJ for sure.

5. I absolutely abhorred Middle School. It was like a rehash of elementary school. High school was also retarded, but part of that was because I personally hate how many are structured so that you have to take X of such-and-such class and you can't focus on what you'd like to learn. The structure is retarded and high school did not help me prepare for college at all, which by the way, college is pretty awesome.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Did you excel at school?
Mostly. I suck at classes that require mass, mindless memorization (like Bio).

No idea, but it's not too bad for me. I like theory classes.

I drift into my own world a lot, but I usually think of my "own theories" after class, not during.

SJ.

School is run horribly. Grading is a negative reinforcement system that usually fails to quantitatively show someone's knowledge gained from a class.

Classes that require mass memorization need to at least have some sort of dynamic learning experience, where people can use all the crap they memorized and really apply it to something interesting (in-part to show the person WHY they just memorized an entire textbook).

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
Almost flunked out of highschool, probably because it is run by sensors.

Did well in college.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I did really well in elementary school and got accepted into a gifted program. But sometime around middle school I figured out the luxury of rushing my work to extend my leisure time to the max. It was a constant battle to extinguish the plague of busy work.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
"Busy work!" GAAAAH! I HAAAAAATE BUSY WORK. RRR. You've got no idea. Stupid German bitch, taking my fucking book away because I was reading in class because dipshits were all in the way of the fucking board so I couldn't see what was written on it. HATE.

=D

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Did you excel at school?
Hell no.

Are you implying that theory is taught in school? If so, where? What kind of theory? I never encountered it. If school had been oriented toward theory, instead of rote memorization and repetition, I might have had a different vector in life.

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theories, not really caring about the ones being taught?
Pretty much. Or, rather, having to read between the lines and develop my own theories just so I can understand what's in front of me, because none were ever taught to me. And when I'd try to run my ideas past the teachers, they'd just scowl at me and tell me I was doing it wrong.

Oh, SJ. Not even an argument there. Ridiculous thing is, the techniques aren't conducive for anyone to learn; they're just set up to allow SJ-types to jump through hoops and claim their credentials, to allow them to make more money in the world. It's a farce.

A fucking waste of time. At least, as things are set up now.

marmandahalf

having to read between the lines and develop my own theories just so I can understand what's in front of me, because none were ever taught to me. And when I'd try to run my ideas past the teachers, they'd just scowl at me and tell me I was doing it wrong.

Exactly!!

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Did you excel at school?

Yes, though I was never the best pupil for time keeping, homework or behavior. I got good grades but far from the best.Sort of level were in the UK i could go to most Unis except the top ones. That might change if i get my AAA this year though.

Yes though it wasn't untill the last 2 years of school that i actually did any theory and even then most of it was this last year and i'll be doing it all again at Uni so it was a bit of a waste of time.

Yeah. Though for a long time I was just figuring out the theory behind what was being taugh as it was either taught badly or just memory work. Even when I did get theory i would try prove much to my maths teacher disdain. He made the class applaud me once when I came up with a new quicker and simpler way of doing a question and then came out with "right now you've had your praise do it the normal way because while not as good its the one examiners are looking for"

SJ. The irony is that I don't think SJs actually learn anything from it.

Its not - as it claims to be - about learning in the form NTs would use the word. Its about making sure that the majority of people have a way of thinking most useful to society ie I do what I told how I'm told and then I get good stuff.
While this way of thinking is useful to SJs it useless to other types, and in my humble opinion other types are more useful to society.

93JC

Did you excel at school?
Yes.

Probably.

No.

No idea.

It was great. Easy, few responsibilities, very little pressure.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Oh, one thing college did is it forced me to memorize my social security number. That's come in handy.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Did you excel at school?

Yeah, I mean, I didn't get the maximum grade ever, but always in the top 2 percent or something like that.

Depends; if we're talking about some topic which requires vague theorization, such as philosophy or politics etc, then yes; however, in stricter subjects, I don't think so.

I'm too E to drift in my own world, but I definitely had my own opinion on how to do things, and if I thought an assignment or homework could be done faster than the way the teacher told us to do, I would do it my own way.

It's probably SJ, but I really had an easy time as an NT.

Studying is very boring when there's sunshine outside.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did you excel at school?

- Well, in some ways. I excelled at doing the absolute minimum required to pass each year. :p (So, didn't really excel. But probably would have had it been that important to me.)

Mmh, in school, I disliked the theory part most of the time, unless it concerns theory that I am actually interested in. But theory or written material that I wasn't interested in, I usually had issues with. So, theory is probably easier for J's than it is for P's. As for N/S I do not know.

Oh definatly. Especially concerning physics and mathematics. But that might also have been because I was a rebellious teenager. I never cared too much about what was being taught, as long as I had sufficient grades. And when a topic does interest me, I tend to wonder and mess about with it a lot. Regardless of specifics that are being taught.

The school I've been on was actually pretty damn good concerning this fact. It allowed people to be self sufficient and independant where they could handle it. But also had good counseling for those that need a more personal approach. It was a pretty well balanced system that could cater to each and every individual quite well.

I miss it. :(

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
i aced high school. uni, i got fucked because i wasn't used to hard work

depends on the theory and the interest of the NT types...the more abstract the model, the better

somewhat...i always had my own ways of remembering stuff...

public school system in north america is very good to serve to tempraments of all kinds. this is why there exist school for the gifted and programs that encourage higher learning as well as programs that encourage to those not up for the higher learning

marmandahalf

this is why there exist school for the gifted and programs that encourage higher learning as well as programs that encourage to those not up for the higher learning

The gifted/talented program saved my life. I would've eaten my own fist in boredom without it. Unfortunately, it stopped after elementary school.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Lucky you guys.

The UK equivelant to the gifted program were grammar school which were scraped last generation i think. They brought some back in england i think but in scotland theres no equivalent. Mind you we are supposed to have an amazing education system prefered to the rest of the UK.

I was still bored to hell most days of the last 13 years

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, I wouldn't say that's the case everywhere. I certainly never had the benefit, growing up. I do understand that the school in my home town has greatly improved in the last fifteen years, though.