User Tag List

First 4567 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Did you excel at school?
    Yea, but I never really work very hard, it seems like most of the time I just put in the bare minimum amount of effort to get the grade I want...although occasionally I'll get really into a project and will spend a disproportionate amount of time on it.

Is theory easier for intuitive types?

It depends how rigid it is. If it's open for exploration through discussion and not set in stone I love it. If it's one of those concrete theories they give you that's "not up for discussion" I can't stand it.

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theory's, not really caring about the ones being taught?

I can usually asses the merit of what's being taught to me pretty quickly. There's a lot of stuff that's boring, but I know it's useful or applicable enough to my thinking skills that it's worth paying attention too. I have no tolerance for things being taught too slowly. I spent all of elementary school glancing at what was being taught, realizing I already know what they're saying and going back to whatever book I was reading under my desk. It would get me in a lot of trouble.

In your opinion what temperament are schools most geared towards? SJ, SP, NT or NF ?

It really depends on the subject, NT's seem to be good all-around thinkers in that we can easily hold our own in most art and sciences fields. I really think ST's have the potential to surpass us in more technical fields. They're better at following regulation than us.

Any other thoughts on school?

I think the way we're taught today is extremely outdated. I know there've been measures made to move away from it, but memorizing large amounts of factual information on a preset curriculum seems like an inefficient and inflexible way to learn. I did very well in school if the only measure is good grades but I had a reputation for being one of the most difficult students to have in class. Most teachers dislike being challenged, especially in front of their class, and unfortunately that's really how ENTPs like to learn!

I would make teachers cry, get sent to go sit in the office, get to talk to the councillor about how I wasn't going to make it through high school. It's pretty hilarious being a delinquent and one of the top students in your year. Authority doesn't know how to handle it!

I was also really lucky to have a few debate loving teachers who actually admired and encouraged debate and discussion. One in English, one in Poli-Sci and one in Biology...any wonder those are three of my favorite subjects now?
    Last edited by Cady; 06-04-2009 at 03:55 PM.
    Sleep late for a better tomorrow.

Extraverted - 58%
    INtuitive - 73%
    Thinking - 71%
    Perceiving - 66%

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Abt high school:
    *I excelled in courses that I attended. I always got As on all my exams and papers, but I had such poor attendance that I almost failed out.
    *Theory was simple, but they never taught theory - just rote memorization.
    *Always drifted into own world, skipped classes like it was my religion and passed notes relentlessly.
    *School is geared towards SJs, imo.
    *I hated high school. I hate the way everything is taught. I hate learning something the first day and then listening to the teacher repeat the same damn thing for the next 2 weeks.
    I had really bad attendance too. Something like 30 days missed one semester? Procrastination was a big issue with me too.
    Sleep late for a better tomorrow.

Extraverted - 58%
    INtuitive - 73%
    Thinking - 71%
    Perceiving - 66%

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Man, I hated school - especially the school my parents made me go to.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Cady View Post
    I had really bad attendance too. Something like 30 days missed one semester? Procrastination was a big issue with me too.
    Me too

MBTI
    ENTJ

Did you excel at school?

I did when I tried.

It would make sense, and I had an easy time of it.

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theory's, not really caring about the ones being taught?

I wanted to learn quantum mechanics and super string theory and all they taught was the simple atomic elements; electron, proton and neutron bullshit, it bored the hell out of me.

In your opinion what temperament are schools most geared towards? SJ, SP, NT or NF ?

I don't think modern school is a justifiable way of teaching any type.

Is there any way I can get my time back ?
    This world is mine - in time.

MBTI
    INTP

Being an NT, Did you excel at school?
    Yes and no. I was in the gifted program when I lived in the West (US) and the school won all kinds of awards for that program and for being structured in more of a Montessori style. I loved it and stayed well ahead of grade level. Then I moved to the South in the 70's and the material being taught was several grades behind what I had already done. The teachers didn't know what to do with me and several openly resented me for asking questions they didn't know how to answer. The culture clash didn't help either. I talked fast and used big words...the native teachers didn't. Regrettably the gifted teacher was one I was having problems with so I ended up dropping out. I also lost interest in the rest of my classes-which were structured around memorization. There was one teacher who seemed to 'get' me-I think she was probably an NF from up North-and she took an interest and kept me interested in English until I was out of that school. We didn't have middle school-high school was a little better but mostly I just coasted by passing the tests and not doing the homework. I read novels through all of my classes and got a lot of speeches about not reaching my potential. I was absent whenever I got the chance.

Probably-but I tend to need concrete examples and hands on experience too.

I remember in middle school that I was horrified to discover that scientists didn't actually 'know' all these things that the teachers were presenting as facts and laws. I realized that I was having to memorize somebody's guesswork and that we weren't being presented with opposing viewpoints or other options. Then I didn't drift. I jumped with both feet into books. I read about other theories and stories.

I could agree with an argument for SJ. Funny thing is that I think standardized tests are very intuitive but classes are based on memorization and homework. I would say that it isn't really geared towards any of the types. It certainly leaves kinesthetic learners in the dust. This is an interesting topic for me-my oldest son is an ENTP who seems to be very kinesthetic as well. I am struggling with what to do in order to make his school experience more productive than mine. I can't tell what my youngest is yet-too young-but given all the destruction/experimentation and the constant stream of 'why' questions, I wouldn't be surprised if he was an NT as well.

I liked college a lot better than high school. I had to go back and actually pick up some study skills, and I still resented 'core' classes that got in the way of what I actually wanted to learn. So many interesting ideas though...I plan on taking some kind of college level courses for the rest of my life.
    Introverted Intuitive Thinking Perceiving
    Strength of the preferences %
    67 38 12 11

MBTI
    ?

Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    Being an NT,

Did you excel at school? Dropped out of high school.

Is theory easier for intuitive types? Isn't that kind of a defining trait of intuitive types?

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theory's, not really caring about the ones being taught? Definitely.

In your opinion what temperament are schools most geared towards? SJ, SP, NT or NF ? Equal number of pitfalls for each type. It just depends on the context.

MBTI
    ?

52 days my sophomore year. And I don't think I turned in a single assignment. Ahh... good times.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I wanted to learn quantum mechanics and super string theory and all they taught was the simple atomic elements; electron, proton and neutron bullshit, it bored the hell out of me.
    Oh my goodness yes! My Chemistry teacher actually loved having me in class. It was almost like we had our own separate little lecture. Spent so much time after class just elaborating on theories with him. Quite funny really.

I always hated those monkey work lab exorcises though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

haha, I almost didn't graduate high school because I missed so much class. I think the only reason I got a diploma was because they wanted to get rid of me.