User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Did you excel at school?

No. Although I finished top of my year at age 16, in the grand scheme of things I was nowhere and I think I knew that at the time. Things went further downhill by 18. I started at a new school at 17 and didn't fit in. Everyone was better educated than me and instead of trying to catch up I drifted. By 19 I was left feeling like a complete failure. I was in and out of jobs for a few years. I decided to go back to university, taking on a course that I thought I might be able to pass. It was only at this point that I really started to do well.

Is theory easier for intuitive types?

I'm not sure. However, I will say that for me I prefer theory to practice.

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theory's, not really caring about the ones being taught?

I generally hated school, although I had a core of great friends. I used to sit at the back of math classes playing chess or reading books by Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams.

In your opinion what temperament are schools most geared towards? SJ, SP, NT or NF ?

It definitely rewards those that do as they are told and do it by given deadlines.

Any other thoughts on school?

Time and time again I have been underestimated by teachers. I don't know whether it was reverse psychology on their part but I doubt it. I suppose they may have disliked me because I would refuse to participate, was very arrogant, and was clearly wasting what talent I had. I don't know whether this is a trait of INTJs or just me. I can understand their sense of anger and frustration and why they would prefer other students who were keen and did what they were told. My school career was exemplified by one particular report. For one subject I scored 1 for achievement (the best), and G for effort (the lowest). I used to gloat about this, but now I see it for what it is - a waste of potential. The head of year commented that "the results do not augur well for the future". In the short term she was wrong, in the medium term though she was spot on.

However I don't blame the teachers because they are working within a system. It's difficult for me to critisize the system as I can't think of a better alternative. School is simple: the object of the exercise is to achieve the highest grades you are capable of and to hopefully discover what it is that will interest you for the rest of your life.

I've learned that you cannot beat the system. Instead you should use it to your advantage. It's taken me a long time to recover from the effects school has had on me. I have had a lot of issues and it has been pointed out that it may have started at the age of 12 when told by the headmaster's wife that I was a spoilt bastard for refusing to sing in the choir. Since then I've had an unhealthy distrust of all authority figures especially teachers.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Sorry for being off-topic, but damn! That reminded me that I really want to read the Discworld stuff...or really anything by Pratchett. Is he any good?
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

What type are schools geared towards? Depends on the school and program.

In my experience... high school? SJ. Grad programs in linguistics, media law and law school? For the most part, NT. Law school values an ENTJ like no other.

Being an NT,

Did you excel at school?
    Yeah, I did/do okay.

Yes.

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theory's, not really caring about the ones being taught? Yes and no. I love learning about others' theories and synthesizing them. I'm pretty confident neither I - nor anyone, for that matter - is going to come up with something out-of-left-field novel. Breakthroughs come from understanding and building on other people's work.

I... suppose. Yeah!

FigerPuppet

Did you excel at school?

In the subjects I care about, yes.

It is for me.

Did you find yourself drifting into your own world, wanting to come up with your own theory's, not really caring about the ones being taught?

Sometimes.

In your opinion what temperament are schools most geared towards? SJ, SP, NT or NF ?

(High school) Definitely SJs. Teachers' pets; the SJs write a huge amount of notes. They are not creative at all, and need to read how to connect A to B. They depend on the memorization of material, where we depend on our understanding of it. I believe this enables us to come up with solutions to a problem without having memorized a method.

No.

MBTI
    IsfP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Being an NT,

Did you excel at school?

Not at all, but I "can". I've seen school as a pain and it isn't the best way to look at it I guess.

I would think so, making connections would make things easier in a learning environment wouldn't it? I think sensors would be the kids in class that just dink around.

Most of the time I do this. But I also like other's theories just as much as my own. It just takes a lot of thought on part of the "theorizer" to interest me.

SJ maybe.

Highschool was the strangest experience of my life.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Sorry for being off-topic, but damn! That reminded me that I really want to read the Discworld stuff...or really anything by Pratchett. Is he any good?
    I particularly enjoyed the first two: The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. They're all mildly amusing though.

MBTI
    ENtJ
    Enneagram
    8w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

1. Yeah.
    2. I guess so. I've never had a problem with it.
    3. Sometimes, depending on the subject. I like learning about other people's theories, though, because it opens doors that I hadn't thought about.
    4. Probably SJ.
    5. My normal high school probably wouldn't have been worth my time if I had stayed there. Anywhere that contains people of different levels of work ethic is bound to be boring for anyone who might care about learning. I remedied that by actively seeking challenges and attending an accelerated, college-level high school. That's the only thing that made high school worth my time and attention.
    "Yet, the right act
    Is less, far less, than the right-thinking mind.
    Seek refuge in thy soul; have there thy heaven!"

MBTI
    ENTP

Did you excel at school?

If I was bored with the class, I didn't do well. If I enjoyed the class, then yes, BUT, there were times when I'd underachieve...and my professors know it.

I think so, maybe because we like to play with things.

If by proving them wrong, maybe :P

Not sure, but I would say not NT....we get bored to easily, we want more action. We enjoy learning, but on a different level than taught.

Being in college for five years, I think it's okay...but right now, I have about three ideas I'm floating around for a business and am about ready to say, you know what, why not pull a Bill Gates and see what happens

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Did you excel at school?

I did well in elementary school. I was fortunate enough to go to a private school for a few years where they taught in a very different way and when I went to public school in 4th grade I was put in the gifted program. I don't know how much it's different, but I guess it was able to keep my attention and challenge me enough. Once I got to high school however I lost all interest in school. It wasn't intellectually stimulating, the focus was on busy work and it just started way too early in the AM. College has pretty much sucked too as most of the gen ed classes make me feel like I'm back in high school again. I do well in all my art classes though...I guess the point is that if something is interesting I'll be at the top of the class, if not I just don't show up.

I think so. It's too bad the educational system, at least where I've been, has rarely focused on theory.

I certainly drift into my own world, especially if I already understand what is being taught (which is usually the case after 10 mins of lecture on a topic) If I'm not being told why something is important I will not care about it either.

SJ...they can follow the rules and do meaningless work

Most of it is a waste of time and is just a glorified babysitting service.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Did you excel at school?

Kinda. Once "they" thought that I was intelligent, they placed me into higher courses. Unfortunately, the higher-level material and ways of teaching involved more course work, which I could never stay on top of consistently. The problem is that they expect you to jump through the hoops constantly, and memorize a lot of nonsense. College has been a lot better than high school, however. They actually call for critical thinking and encourage rhetorical writing skills.

I don't know. I'm good with theory.

Sometimes, but I didn't always disregard the ones being taught. I believe I had an earnest thirst for knowledge.

Whatever types find motivation and satisfaction in "succeeding". Also, being able to cram as much as you can into your short term memory is a big plus.

In the US K-12, it's a terrible agent of socialization that is in dire need of reform.