User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 44

Thread: Puzzles

  1. #21
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocebo View Post
    I agree that logical people would initially have better results working with rationality.
    However, they can still develop their subjective side in order to get good result in working with people, also. It's a learning process. (Think of it as talent vs. patience and hard work. Just because something is your forte, doesn't mean other people can't learn it.)
    a) i don't believe in talent. i believe in passion, and passion goes hand in hand with the interpretation of the instructions. in fact, i would say passion is the drive most people have, but not all follow. if they did follow it though, i wager you'd see a lot less stress and much more life quality from those same people.

    b) yes, you could essentially have a person teaching themselves how to act in what isn't their area, and yes they could perhaps become mediocre at it. they will at all times be limited by their dominating functions, and it will work against them. so, for however much practice you have, you function will always drag you either towards your goal (again, if it is your passion) or against it (if you're trying to pull something that isn't really you).

    All people are made up of both the rational and the subjective. (This is kind of obvious. Feelers can still do math problems, and thinkers still have feelings.)

    The "skills of this caliber" may be weak to begin with, but one can develop them just as one can develop any part of their brain. Even if it's subconscious. (Explained further below.)
    i think i explained this pretty well above, but just to recap: if it's not in one of your dominant fields, you will most likely suck at it, you won't like it, and you'll become miserable. therefore, i would consider it ignorant not to take the hint.


    Your understanding of other people may be subconscious, but as you said earlier, everyone speaks a different language. How do you know that the "instructions" are subconscious for everyone? Where are you getting this from?
    oh, i am getting this from a certain median i have extracted from several if not all great personas throughout recorded history. i haven't been the first to mention this connection either, but most others would refer to it as "the collective unconscious" or something similar.

    me personally, i don't believe it's a collective unconscious, i think of it more as a set of instructions imprinted in genes that are later compiled into information by the mind. then again, i might just be silly, since this isn't technically possible. :rolli:

    the notion of different languages for different types of people is used to decipher these instructions in whatever manner the specific mind for a specific person think is most beneficial. i mean, why else would it do it?

    Everyone is a person.
    All people are both subjective and objective. (explained above)
    Therefore, rational people can relate to subjective people, and vise-versa.
    Thus, everyone can communicate effectively with people. It doesn't matter what part of the brain they use to do it, since everyone functions differently anyways.

    Being a feeler doesn't mean you can automatically relate to everyone.
    Perhaps the midwestern redneck you're talking about would respond better to the OP. You don't know. Everyone relates to different people, despite the subjective/objective difference. Maybe it's the midwestern redneck who needs advice. You don't know this.
    i never argued that point. look at my type, i'm at a split between ENFP and ENTP, because i am a bit touchy feely emo and a bit cold crunching jerk; if anything, i am the living proof of that both sides can have either functions. but that doesn't mean they're equally good at using them.

    generally it seems like you want to argue both usage and strength as two variables, but you keep putting them together under one roof. are you sure you're not INFP?
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  2. #22
    Member nocebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    89

    Default

    The point isn't to make the inferior functions as strong as the dominant ones, but to have them play their own part in aiding your communication with people. This requires you to use them a bit.

    Any underdeveloped type will have problems communicating.
    Any developed type will be able to communicate efficiently.
    Giving good advice is about communication, and therefore developed types of any temperament can do it well.

    That's my only point, and it's the one you're missing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    i think i explained this pretty well above, but just to recap: if it's not in one of your dominant fields, you will most likely suck at it, you won't like it, and you'll become miserable. therefore, i would consider it ignorant not to take the hint.
    This is silly. Your dominant function is just your preference.
    It doesn't mean you hate the inferior ones, or that you can't use them if necessary.
    (I enjoy using Fe in situations that require it. I'm Ti dominant because my important decisions are led by it. It's my preference.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    generally it seems like you want to argue both usage and strength as two variables, but you keep putting them together under one roof. are you sure you're not INFP?
    Usage leads to strength.
    I think that's the foundation of the Myers Briggs theory, but I'll have to look it up again. (I'll post sources by tomorrow if I can find them.)

    As for my type... it's not really relevant? But.
    No, I'm not entirely sure. (Sometimes I score as NeTi, and the test is also not made for people with mental disorders.)
    However, I think TiNe is most accurate for now.

  3. #23
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocebo View Post
    The point isn't to make the inferior functions as strong as the dominant ones, but to have them play their own part in aiding your communication with people. This requires you to use them a bit.

    Any underdeveloped type will have problems communicating.
    Any developed type will be able to communicate efficiently.
    Giving good advice is about communication, and therefore developed types of any temperament can do it well.

    That's my only point, and it's the one you're missing.
    i'm not missing the point. i have taken it into consideration, and, based on empiric results, have found that an inferior function manifests itself the best within the realm of a dominant function... as a counterposition in thinking.

    personally i think you've giving MBTI types a bit too much credit. i can definitely see the Si working in you, so i'm going to cut this discussion short. i don't argue with INXPs out of principle; or well, at least for as long as you can't understand the difference between judging character or analysis and deducting proof.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  4. #24
    Member nocebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    89

    Default

    My argument is supported!
    And the portions that I did not have sources for, I said so!

    Common now, bb. Don't quit on me.
    We can work this out together.

  5. #25
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocebo View Post
    My argument is supported!
    And the portions that I did not have sources for, I said so!

    Common now, bb.
    We can work this out together.
    i see. statements such as, "this is silly" are always well supported with arguments. i mean, imagine how much worse off the world would be if people didn't say, "this is silly". we might have had something such as, oh i don't know, public teleportation? world peace? virtual reality? but those ideas are silly! silly people who think they can just come up with new ideas without them being judged. :rolli:

    no thanks, i prefer learning and teaching to defining and judging. maybe one day you can learn that too.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  6. #26
    Member nocebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    89

    Default

    I've never judged you or the situation or your argument, dear.
    These are your personal beliefs, and I respect them.

    "This is silly" was my opinion. It was not supporting my argument.
    There is support throughout the rest of the post.

  7. #27
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nocebo View Post
    I've never judged you, dear.
    These are your personal beliefs, and I respect them.

    "This is silly" was my opinion. It was not supporting my argument.
    However, it doesn't mean that other information was lacking.
    There is support throughout the rest of my post.
    i see no reason for personal judgments in arguments, but this is apparently where we differ. and so, i conclude this business.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

  8. #28
    Member nocebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    89

    Default

    It clearly says, "I never judged...." :/
    But okay. Tootles, mate~!

  9. #29
    Senior Member therationaledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    112

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sentura View Post
    i was hoping he would. then he'd learn that it isn't his place to give advice to people.
    I get this wierd feeling like...oh I don't know, that you don't have any idea whether I should or shouldn't and are somehow assuming I can't, with no history of my past experiences or the outcomes of them.
    Not too often did people actually follow my advice, but when they have, and followed it exact, its worked.

    Just because I am not touchy feely about it doesn't mean I don't see what people should do for maximum happiness. I may sound cold and impersonal, but thats because human interaction is as predictable as anything else, and I see the different sociatal "rituals" and what they mean.

    What I'm curious about now is why exactly you are argueing so vehemetly? Personal attachment to the arguement? Do you think that people that are touchy feely are better advisors? Do you consider yourself to be one of the aforementioned touchy feely advisors?

    the question is not what you are fighting to prove, but why are you fighting to prove what you are trying to prove? I find that unless someone is just a misanthrope, they don't generally feel the need for some complete stranger to fail utterly (not to mention saying they wished I scarred people with my advice), and I don't get that from you.
    Its personal. So either I have offended you from a post before, p'haps you thought me too cocky or whatnot, or I am just a proxy for someone/something else that offended/hurt you, for example a person you don't like that thinks like me. I have noticed you have posted that in this thread and others you don't like argueing with INTP's. So, biased you are. Also, you very well are probably an ENFP, and the only ENFP I know doesn't like argueing with me because he trusts his feelings, and is wrong oh-so-often and is being prideful.

    My guess is it was the "usefull comment" post, and you don't like being called dumb. The ENFP I know also has a complex with people thinking he is dumb. Connection perhaps? And I saw your little debate with whats-his-name on your profile... you do not especially like people thinking your wrong do you? I can't blame you. Uppity humans how dare they.

    Were you ever....hurt by an INTP?
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

    "You!"

    "Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

  10. #30
    Phoenix Incarnate Sentura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENXP
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    I get this wierd feeling like...oh I don't know, that you don't have any idea whether I should or shouldn't and are somehow assuming I can't, with no history of my past experiences or the outcomes of them.
    Not too often did people actually follow my advice, but when they have, and followed it exact, its worked.

    Just because I am not touchy feely about it doesn't mean I don't see what people should do for maximum happiness. I may sound cold and impersonal, but thats because human interaction is as predictable as anything else, and I see the different sociatal "rituals" and what they mean.
    i'm sure 9 out of 10 psychologists would agree. :rolli:

    What I'm curious about now is why exactly you are argueing so vehemetly? Personal attachment to the arguement? Do you think that people that are touchy feely are better advisors? Do you consider yourself to be one of the aforementioned touchy feely advisors?

    the question is not what you are fighting to prove, but why are you fighting to prove what you are trying to prove? I find that unless someone is just a misanthrope, they don't generally feel the need for some complete stranger to fail utterly (not to mention saying they wished I scarred people with my advice), and I don't get that from you.
    Its personal. So either I have offended you from a post before, p'haps you thought me too cocky or whatnot, or I am just a proxy for someone/something else that offended/hurt you, for example a person you don't like that thinks like me. I have noticed you have posted that in this thread and others you don't like argueing with INTP's. So, biased you are. Also, you very well are probably an ENFP, and the only ENFP I know doesn't like argueing with me because he trusts his feelings, and is wrong oh-so-often and is being prideful.

    My guess is it was the "usefull comment" post, and you don't like being called dumb. The ENFP I know also has a complex with people thinking he is dumb. Connection perhaps? And I saw your little debate with whats-his-name on your profile... you do not especially like people thinking your wrong do you? I can't blame you. Uppity humans how dare they.
    i have nothing personal against you. the arguing i did was mostly playful banter coupled with me arguing my own theory. however, i see that my intention was lost on you. so much for your "talent" with people, eh.

    but yes, you're right that there is a sort of personal attachment to this discussion: i've been working on a theory about how people would respond to pursuing interests that influence them with passion. i'm willing to bet that no matter how well you do, you won't ever do as well as a NF in the field, particularly people with dominant intuitive functions. prove me wrong.

    but... ah, read below.

    Were you ever....hurt by an INTP?
    no, i just consider them annoying. it's like you can't assert you own intuitive functions and override it with too much logic or sensing. i don't like arguing with you because of the same reason. you always think you're right, and there's no way to convince you otherwise except for a perfect logical statement.

    that is unfortunately not how the world works, and your rigidity only acts like a logical bureaucracy that prevents your from understanding; rather than the integrity and delving information you think it gives you.
    i hunt INXPs for bounty
    FUNCTION ORDER FOR THOSE THAT CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHAT ENXP MEANS: Ne > Ni > Fi=Ti > *

    ...people tell me i have wildfires in my eyes

Similar Threads

  1. The World's Hardest Logic Puzzle
    By MerkW in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 12:37 AM
  2. Problem, Puzzle, and Paradox: What’s Missing?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2009, 09:06 AM
  3. Will these vehicles run? A puzzle from the past
    By wolfy in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 06:34 PM
  4. difficult-ish weighing puzzle
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-09-2007, 11:44 AM
  5. Simple puzzles to stump people
    By ygolo in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 153
    Last Post: 09-23-2007, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO