First 12345 Last

Thread: XNTP & debating

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    And this is the point. I don't condescend to anyone, I just speak in their comfort zone. I can cross into nastier tones if that's what I'm faced with, but I never lead with that.
    Well, I can be quite condescending and intimidating, but that's only a tactic, another ENTP trick. I can switch immediately to diplomacy, if required, and especially if I'm interested.

I guess another difference between INTPs and ENTPs is what motivate them. I'd say INTPs are often tempted to show the outer perfection of their thoughts and systems, and that they use debates as a way to constantly refine them; while ENTPs simply prefer to "get out of boredoom" (as I previously wrote). They argue just for the sake of it, and playing the devil's advocate is their second nature.

ENTPs as I see them, are arrogant only on the surface, rarely on the core.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    As a generalization, from what I've encountered, I can mimic well the patterns of my receipient and morph my position to be presented accordingly, while an INTP sticks to their 'style', irregardless of the receipient's mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Exactly.

-1, irregardless is not a "real" word.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

^I also enjoy correcting my own spelling and choice of words.

Some of the most fun debates go on in my own head and what you said about foremost impressing yourself in a debate holds true for me too. Conversely, I am most worried about disappointing myself. I am my own harshest critic.

I think ENPs in general use humor more effectively while making the most serious arguments. I use this as a disarming strategy that works rather effectively and makes the context more comfortable for people who might equate debates with conflict. Like others have mentioned on the forum, I don't like to stop debating until the ideas have been explored fully and I have realized that feelers are up for this too as long as they are reassured it is an intellectual exercise. Humor helps to keep the tone friendly.

I also agree with the idea that ENTPs are well-equipped to mirror the strategy of their opponents and use similar strategies effectively on their feet. ENTPs may be better at explaining their arguments to others and see value in doing this while INTPs seem to be less concerned with doing so.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Online I give up/lose interest pretty quickly unless I'm having fun or learning something, I donít have strong views on many things and Iím a lot more interested in seeing and understanding another point of view then convincing someone theyíre wrong, the topics that I do have strong opinions on are not really worth debating as Iím probably not going to learn anything. I prefer to debate/discuss/investigate alternate views in person.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

How did you infer this?

More accurately, I made it sound like, compared between an ENTP and an INTP, as a personality profile, an ENTP would be better equipped at this than INTP (see my justification through functional orders).

To give real world applicability, from my own perspective as an ENTP, engaging with INTPs, this has been the case. You could very well prove this wrong. But, this would not be about comparing an ENTP and an INTP profile, then, but, comparing you to me. Where I just happen to be of the ENTP variety, and you of the INTP variety.

Ya wanna play?

All the time? To prove your intelligence? Meh. Me? I don't gotta prove my intelligence, just disprove theirs if (and only if) they come off condescending. My content of the debate, are my testement to my intelligence, regardless of the bells and whistles (context, being secondary aim of mine..if even an aim, depends).

My main aim and challenge is to always impress myself first, if my audience happens to be as well, meh, so be it. And, as much as I can bullshit others, I can't bullshit myself. Which makes this challenge, imo, more worthy.
    Yes. I do want to play.

Easiest way to end a debate is by simply not participating in it. Now doesn't this just blow your mind? An INTP not going to debate. :gasp:
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post

Easiest way to end a debate is by simply not participating in it. Now doesn't this just blow your mind?
    Nah...been there, said that...

....which, most times, leads my receipients to respond with thundering silence. [...] Which, I'm also game.

Quote Originally Posted by ergophobe View Post
    ^I also enjoy correcting my own spelling and choice of words.

Some of the most fun debates go on in my own head and what you said about foremost impressing yourself in a debate holds true for me too. Conversely, I am most worried about disappointing myself. I am my own harshest critic.

I think ENPs in general use humor more effectively while making the most serious arguments. I use this as a disarming strategy that works rather effectively and makes the context more comfortable for people who might equate debates with conflict. Like others have mentioned on the forum, I don't like to stop debating until the ideas have been explored fully and I have realized that feelers are up for this too as long as they are reassured it is an intellectual exercise. Humor helps to keep the tone friendly.
    ENTPs are easier to slide into their personal motivation for humour - again, entertaining oneself...which often becomes sarcastic, and not as nice-play-nice as ENFPs.

I also agree with the idea that ENTPs are well-equipped to mirror the strategy of their opponents and use similar strategies effectively on their feet. ENTPs may be better at explaining their arguments to others and see value in doing this while INTPs seem to be less concerned with doing so.
    I think this is key. ENTPs are motivated by the external energy....hence, the values from the external world, while INTPs are motivated by their internal energy, so, I can def. see the 'less concern to do so'.

MBTI
    YaYa

I think another component is speed.

I would think an INTP would take more time thinking about stuff than the ENTP; this could be frustrating to someone wanting to engage immediately. But I feel like I can maintain a sustained engagement with many great pauses.

Or I could be just talking out my ass.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFP

ENTPs are easier to slide into their personal motivation for humour - again, entertaining oneself...which often becomes sarcastic, and not as nice-play-nice as ENFPs.
    This is my achilles heel. The intention at my end is never to hurt with humor but I am just not gifted at realizing where this invisible divider falls between humor that falls on the playing nice side and humor that hurts. Feelers are so much better at seeing this line. I'll use humor and think other people are as thick-skinned as I am. Particularly with friends, I'll let my guard down and share more of my off-brand humor and suddenly get this "ooh that hurt expression" which always shocks me. The intention was never to hurt - I just can't help but get competitive even with humor in the way of saying what seems funniest not what seems to be the funny yet suitably nice thing to say.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Online I give up/lose interest pretty quickly unless I'm having fun or learning something,
    So true. I have the same ISSUE. The reason i think it is an issue is because I tend to start an argument and lose interest before making my point being heard(ONLINE).

+ typing an argument is not as fun as verbalizing one.
    INTPs don't seem to have this issue. They seem to enjoy writing things more than any other type. Long............

But you could learn more from an INTP argument than an ENTP one. INTPs i think are the best teachers. They have more concentration than the ENTPs, thus go deep into a subject much more than an ENTP could tolerate, explore more possibilities and putting it into sentences(in writing) step by step in a more understandable and neat/er way.