• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP's and Racing Thoughts

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Maybe this applies to other types like INTP, but I've noticed that sometimes I get so keyed up that my mind just spins out of control. It feels like I circle the drain faster and faster and empties into the abyss.

1. Do you experience this?
2. What is going on?
3. What helps you?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Not really, well sometimes maybe, my mind gets 'off key' and I feel like i have to reset something to go back to 'myself'. I utterly hate it.
2. What is going on?
ur bat shit crazy
3. What helps you?
vodka and a good night of sleeping, cardio.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
cardio really helped me alot. It clears the mind.
I have lots of sleep related issues and it's the best way I know to force my body\brain to stick to some kind of healthy rythm.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Maybe this applies to other types like INTP, but I've noticed that sometimes I get so keyed up that my mind just spins out of control. It feels like I circle the drain faster and faster and empties into the abyss.

2. What is going on?
3. What helps you?

1. yes. all the time
2. it's usually when I can't get something or somewhere fast enough. during the planning stages of anything. when things just aren't moving as fast as my thoughts. when conversations are long winded. I get stuck in a thought cycle that has no outlet and it furiously eats me alive.
3. writing helps a lot. it allows me to exorcise them from my brain where I can then deal with each thought one by one. it allows me to do something with all of it when I know that the situation just depends on waiting it out, which is not my strong point. also working out really helps - especially running, but in those times, I can't run without music. I need it to help me quiet those thoughts and focus on breathing and energy.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does not Ne "think out loud" anyway?

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
no. it just fools other people to make them believe that we are smarter than them.

Gods. I saw what you did there....

There's got to be a forum warning for Gods concealing themselves.

R

Riva

Gods. I saw what you did there....

There's got to be a forum warning for Gods concealing themselves.

well i can't send warnings to myself could I?;)(if you know what i mean)
and i am kinda immune to forum warnings now.(by others)
i choose to ignore them. hard work i know. but i figured deleting them before reading them it less tiresome.

and as for you lady, i got lots and lots more coming your way. ;)

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Yes, many days.
2. What is going on?
It's like having the television on with several channels running simultaneously. It happens when I have too much on my plate and I am trying to tackle it all simultaneously, when stressed or when impatient about my plan not moving as quickly as I think it should, as Jeno mentioned.
3. What helps you?
Exercise, as the others mentioned already. 45 minutes of cardio before the calm is reached and the fog clears. Getting some fresh air - taking a brisk walk is also great.
Deep breathing.
Writing down the ideas one by one, listing the steps and time frames for them all (putting it down on paper helps )
Finding a non-judgmental bouncing board of a friend who will just listen patiently as I run through the ideas, find the ones I need to prioritize and dispense with the rest. The person is usually just there to listen. Articulating them aloud does the same thing as writing them down.
In essence, some way of either dispensing with the extra energy so that you can think through things without it getting in the way or harnessing the dozen thoughts a minute by just finding ways to capture them one at a time mentally.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
only when i stress out.
i have a priority queue running inside my head for what i want/need to think about, and most of the time it's empty from needs. however, whenever i get stressed out, it starts filling up and i start malfunctioning. it's like a silent panic or an ArraySizeException.
i start doing whatever it is i need to do, even if i can't find an obvious solution to it. after a while, then feeling automatically gets soothed and i return to a stable state of mind.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When they race, do you make bets on which one will win?

In all seriousness I do this too. It's probably an NP thing, moreso ENP, but still an Ne thing. When I'm really focused my thoughts race, or when I'm worried, trying to solve something, etc. Sometimes for no reason at all. I find that exercise helps stop this, playing a game, etc. Something to distract yourself.

marmandahalf

I'm so glad this happens to other people, too. I thought maybe I was selectively manic, but only with this symptom. Or something.

I haven't figured out how to deal with it yet.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My ENFP sis complains of this too. I still think the root lies in Ne going off the rails.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
there are so many possibilities to a situation, sometimes its hard to choose which one applies more and which ones are just me being hyper

how do you decide whats more applicable? i think we might have to grow some Se for that...ya? or have a Ne 'guided'

563 740

MBTI Type
ENTP
My ENFP sis complains of this too. I still think the root lies in Ne going off the rails.

DEF.

For me, it's like I have to have something to think about/pick apart/turn over in my mind/attack from every angle. If I'm in a good place, it's something new and exciting that's recently happened and I'm figuring out how it fits into the big picture of my life. If I'm tired/stressed/unhappy/been stagnating, my mind starts tearing apart the things it needs to leave alone - stuff that I'm totally happy with in life (job/friends/locale, etc).

Sleep, exercise, avoiding stasis, and nicotine all seem to help. But especially sleep.

LucrativeSid

Could you explain what you're talking about a little bit more, Synarch? It's a nice metaphor, but it's wildly confusing when I try to actually relate it to the way my thoughts work.

Racing thoughts? Do people think slowly and not move from one thing to another? I can't tell if mine are racing or not because I've never compared it to anything else.

What is it really like to have "racing thoughts"? What's it like to have your "mind spin out of control"?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Happened to me a while ago, it was really crazy, I felt like I had totally lost it. It's like a chain reaction gone wrong or something, nothing will shut-tfu.
2. What is going on?
I thought it was Ne overload, but I was told that it was a result of overuse in Ti, but if it happens to XNFP too, then it is probably Ne overload (and then maybe Ti or Fi not being able to do its job properly). Lots of people drink caffine too, perhaps it is related somehow?
3. What helps you?[/QUOTE]
It goes away on its own, but the above cardio stuff etc. might actually help a bit. (It never helped me much with my sleeping patterns though). But when I had it, I talked to people (at about a million billion miles an hour, they were overwhelmed)

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP

Hell yeah.

2. What is going on?

Not sure. I think its just Ne trying to go down to many tangents at once.

3. What helps you?

Eh. A walk clears it. Playing guitar helps a bit.
Normally i just sit back and enjoy it. Unless its in an exam at which pount i try control it a bit.

nucleaReligion

MBTI Type
ENTP
1.) I feel it occasionally.
2.) The last time a big one happened, I was listening to Sigur Ros and taking pictures. I don't know when it started, but it was intense and stimulating. I became excited over any new possibility and kept playing the same song over and over to the point that the pictures were coming out just as I had imagined them. It was exhilarating and at the same time hard to contain.
3.) I let it run its course...although before I ran (which actually made it worse) or these days I swim. If it becomes to much, splash yourself with cold water. Ice cold.