• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP's as kids

Qre:us

German cops dont eat at all...

xD

RoboCop.jpg

Makes ya even more of a badass drunk in that story! :D

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Storming out of the classroom during lessons. Refusing to do his work.
Swearing and answering back at teachers. Running down the halls. Being late for lessons. Blah Blah Blah.

It was mentioned that Elliot may not be stimulated enough in the classroom .. No shit Sherlock. Having a 1000 kids to look after though, school is about gving and showing respect, that is what i was told anyway.

Right. Sorry but I had to laugh at some of those. Running down the halls - running. Perspective, anyone? Since when was running actually a crime? Or harmful to others?

Answering back - you mean disagreeing. I've had that old chestnut thrown at my daughter, when it turned out she actually had a point, but the teacher considered themselves entitled to never be questioned or challenged, even when they were clearly wrong. In that situation, I'd swear too.

Refusing to do work - my daughter also refused to do work, and so did I. Because it was utterly pointless. It was work I learned or gained NOTHING from doing, which wasn't in the least bit challenging or fulfilling. How does it show respect to a person (your son, my daughter, any kid) to force them to waste their time? Especially when in the case of our kids, they really do have so many other ideas for how they could use it better.

Being late and storming out - again, if the whole thing's a waste of time, how is it reasonable to expect someone to kowtow to it?

I'm actually very proud that my daughter never let them grind her down.

What does he say his reasons are for doing these things? I imagine he probably won't tell you a lot of it, because at the moment he sees you as being on the side of or in league with the institution that's trying to repress him. He'd be suspicious of cooperating with you, because he knows that deep down what you seem to want is for him to just conform.

After I started homeschooling my daughter she began to really chill out and open up to me more and we started getting to the bottom of things, it turned out that the school was hardly reasonable in the way it treated her. You get it all the time in schools: behave like an adult and we'll treat you like one. Except they don't. If an adult disagrees with you in a polite and respectful way, you don't give them detention and lecture them for being "disrespectful".

Most kids maybe will at least pay lip service for a quiet life, but not me and not her. If he is an ENTP and you are an ESFJ then I guess you've got to fully internalize that being respectable and "keeping the peace" are never going to be high priorities for him. As long as you don't do that, he'll keep seeing you as the enemy, part of the thing that wants to change him.

I have now taken both my kids out of school, because I'm sorry, but I just don't think it's a healthy environment for them to be in - what other conclusion could I reach when two kids who are bright and healthy and joys to have everywhere else they go, are suddenly labelled as "problem kids" by a single institution? And since I made that decision, our quality of life and their cooperation levels and enthusiasm for learning have rocketed from rock bottom to sky high.

I'd say to seriously consider homeschooling as an option. Then he'll believe you really are on his side. I know you are, you know you are, but he doesn't believe it.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yea...Synarch's right...Male role models..especially around 12...because he's also going to be quite uncomfortable with his S function...

So he has F..uncomfortable at this time...then S...which is vulnerable to hormonal shifts...(sex hormones)

So an NF guy perhaps will automatically make him feel comfortable...and like Synarch said...being around him would be good to pick up on what's socially okay and what's unique to him...he may begin to see that others' are comfortable with their emotions and learn it's not an issue.

I wish I had that growing up...

:)

Hi.

Seriously need some advice here.

My ENTP children son is 12 yrs old. Smart, humourous if not a tad to serious for my liking ;). His drive and determination astounds me. His only down fall is he doesn't tell me how he feels.

I have been at his school for the last hour and sat there listening whilst absolutely dumbstruck. They thought they should bring it to my attention now that is behaviour is off the rails to the point that they are considering exclusion. WTF??? (This has been going on for 3 months apparantly).

Like i said, the kid is smart and he knows it. He is the only person i know who will find a website that most people didn't know even existed. lol. He comes home everyday and tells me what he was great at, be it PE, science etc etc.

The kid is on self destruct i have found out today. The school is going to get some outside agencies to come and have a look at him. I know he has gone through shit with me the last few months but i haven't even seen any warning bells (there was one a few months ago, but the doctor told me to sort my shit out basically, thanks doc). He is happy at home or so i thought.

How do i help a child that lets no one in? Is so stubborn only he knows best. I love him to bits, he is my son. I just don't know what to do. I know we are very different people and we handle things differently. But i am lost on this one.

Any advice would be gratefully received. Thanks.

P.S. He is currently on his keyboard, it is on full blast, and he is banging on the keys. I have asked him to come down but he doesn't want to. I think he might be embarrassed. Bless him. :(

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You think a guy in puberty can develop the wisdom to learn about his emotions ?

I highly doubt that

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ENTPs are Ne-dom. They are obsessed with possibilities. Thousands of myriads of different possible scenarios are forming in their head within a single day.

"What would happen if...?"
"Should I try that?" -just for fun-

As you said, we often have no idea what life really is, because we consider the infinite possibilities. We could be anybody, just living anywhere, anytime.

We experience several lives simultaneously, and yet we don't understand any. We question everything, so there's usually no definite or ultimate answer.

Yea...As a kid I wish I had those bat tools Batman has...IRL....going on missions and outperforming in every way..

So if you can get your hands on some of Batman's gadgets..

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I highly doubt that

Okay what's your idea? You got the big glasses...there's gotta be somethin' to that intelligent look!

So far you got doubt...that's an empty tank...Get in my car...we're going places...but if you're bad I'm gonna hit the ejection button

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP

I highly doubt that

yeah I tend to agree with that! I think a better bet would be a fellow NT male, so he could get a break from the incessant prying into his emotional state. He'd probably find it refreshing and feel like a new uh, man lol

I know that's one reason why I find being at the pub so relaxing - it's a T-male dominated environment where just srsly, your feelings are your problem dude, we don't wanna know, now come here and let's talk about rugby, or somesuch. It's great, gives me the emotional space and privacy to figure my own shit out inside while I just chill. Obviously that's not a feasible release for a 12 year old (not even in Europe lol), but some equivalent would be what the doctor ordered.

I think it's very possible to sorta love someone to death as it were... specially NT's really need that space and lack of pressure to reveal or explain emotions. If I really had to, I could handle maybe one "heart to heart" every couple of weeks, but I remember when I was a teenager and my parents, it felt like they were just constantly on my back. Them and the teachers and then concerned relatives, always everywhere I turn someone asking me how I feel, what am I feeling, full of reassuring emotional stuff that didn't really reassure me at all, just made me feel inundated and like I had to respond somehow "correctly", just really pressured. When I talked it over with a counsellor years later, even the counsellor agreed that it was probably a very large part of the reason why I went so far off the rails and liked hanging out with bad kids - they didn't care how you felt, only whether you could skin up good :yes:

If I could've got that space elsewhere then I probably wouldn't have hung out with those guys. It's the sorta ExTx need isn't it, to be with people but to remain detached, remain autonomous.

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
Some ENTPs like to break down machines, take them apart and put them back in innovative ways. Some like to do the same thing but with organizations and systems. It sounds like, he sees the flaws in the (school) system and wants to break it. If he had the power, he would build a new system and believe me, it would be more efficient, flexible and effective. If you, his mom, can see and appreciate this frustrated creativity, he will be very impressed by you and respect you more.

P.S. As a general rule, the less you say, the better. One clever, insightful, understated comment might be most effective. Something like, "They'd be smart to ask you how to make the school better," woud've been very effective with me.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Okay what's your idea? You got the big glasses...there's gotta be somethin' to that intelligent look!

So far you got doubt...that's an empty tank...Get in my car...we're going places...but if you're bad I'm gonna hit the ejection button

I have no clue, I would totally suck at parenting. I am just stating the obvious :) (at least hoping that it is obvious)

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I do not want my son to waste his potential (lol, he actually wants to join this site, i have to remind him he is 12) .. I just hope he comes to some kind of conclusion in his head, and moves forward.

Let him.

Seriously if you let him read all this it would probably help a hell of a lot as one of the main thing i had growing up was this feeling that i was totally different from everyone else and it screws with your head at times. Especially with all the pressure to fit in as a kid. Maybe seeing that actually he is a perfectly normal - if somewhat rare - kid would help. Get him to read the NT child thread.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
If this site had a kiddy section, i would let him join. You would rip him to pieces, although he has strong views and is good at expressing them, he is still just a kid. I have to remind myself that sometimes.

Has occured to you that he would probably love that? If he is bored in school its probably from lack of mental stimulation and letting him get ripped to shreds would probably give him a big mental stimulation. Most ENTP kids would love the opportunity.
Oh and most ENTPs on here seem to be teens, twenties or thirties and there really isn't that much difference between teenage ENTPs and 12 year old ENTPs. Or older ENTPs!

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
P.P.S.: When the cops asked for my phone number, after I drove the truck drunk through town, being 13 years old, I gave them the number of the pizza delivery :D

WTF??? And there i thought i was a bugger as a teenager. You put me to shame. ;)

Or that Saslou is deeply mistaken.

Or that her unconscious mind wants to tell us something else.

You are pretty much getting it how it is. I do blunt honesty.

I always thought that little entps talked about becoming engineers, were socially awkward, and left messy rooms.

He loves his technology websites. he told me this morning in technology they are using the sewing machines :doh: .. Why not let them come up with a thesis for black holes, the big bang, anything but sewing .. Lol.

What constitutes a stupid kid? The worst thing you can do is let this slide. An ENTP or any kid should not be lead to the possibility that they can underestimate another, or even better, go on thinking other kids abilities are subpar.

I am blunt with my words, i say then think. What i meant was these children my son hangs with, don't challenge his views. I see my son's cogs going round when he is discussing space and time with my 49 year old step dad. He is in his element then.

discipline him or send him off

No i can't discipline him, he is more stubborn than me. Send him off, never. I never quit.

You made some very good points substitute. Cheers for that. I can not home teach him. Single parent now and i have to work. I will go and talk to the school with some of the views from this thread and see how it goes.

I can see why Elliot would think i am on side with the system but the kid knows me. He knows although i like to conform i still do it on my terms (the rebel within) but i do play the game as long as i can see it will go to my advantage.

I don't know any NT's. My husband was INTJ. Its funny looking back as Elliot always used to hang around us a lot. It bothered my hubby. I think Elliot was just listening though to our conversations as occasionally they were depth to them (i did say occasionally ;)) .. sigh.

We'll just see what happens.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Has occured to you that he would probably love that? If he is bored in school its probably from lack of mental stimulation and letting him get ripped to shreds would probably give him a big mental stimulation. Most ENTP kids would love the opportunity.
Oh and most ENTPs on here seem to be teens, twenties or thirties and there really isn't that much difference between teenage ENTPs and 12 year old ENTPs. Or older ENTPs!

We did look at the NT forum the other day and that's why he wanted to join. I will let him have a look at the thread. If he can get some thing from it then great.

If he still wants to join, then we will possibly look at a month trial or something. I just worry that he may get his views ripped to pieces, he is a kid and maybe not properly able to articulate his opinion. I am not putting him down. Can you see my concern though?
And i know that's life. Shit happens, put it in perspective and get over it. Its just the mum in me ;)

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
We did look at the NT forum the other day and that's why he wanted to join. I will let him have a look at the thread. If he can get some thing from it then great.

If he still wants to join, then we will possibly look at a month trial or something. I just worry that he may get his views ripped to pieces, he is a kid and maybe not properly able to articulate his opinion. I am not putting him down. Can you see my concern though?
And i know that's life. Shit happens, put it in perspective and get over it. Its just the mum in me ;)

Yeah i can see your point of view. Its just that it one of the worst views you can have with an ENTP.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

he will lose respect for everyone who accepts his views without ripping them to shreds first.

same goes for him accepting others' view's.

im not saying let him join but im willing to bet that once hes on here, your gonna a have a fairly hard time getting him off here

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
he will lose respect for everyone who accepts his views without ripping them to shreds first.

same goes for him accepting others' view's.

im not saying let him join but im willing to bet that once hes on here, your gonna a have a fairly hard time getting him off here

Lmao .. Smart mommy ;) .. When he gets home from school, he is on my laptop. I only get on here if he is in the bath, taking pic's of things, or asleep.

I am getting another computer tomorrow .. he can have that one :)

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
ENTPs are Ne-dom. They are obsessed with possibilities. Thousands of myriads of different possible scenarios are forming in their head within a single day.

Maturity is a word that should be banned from the vocabulary of every ENTP.

How can you say that?

Why?

if you don't like maturity, call it a learning experience

i say that because i look at my own life and concede to the point that having no sense of entitlement and working towards practically everything you want and need requires a completely different school of thought than the ones you see today, especially in middle school kids. to see such functioning in a 12 yr old is not only somewhat admirable but also refreshing...it means that hes not afraid of hard work as long he finds it worthwhile

dude with an attitude like that is going places...as long as it doesn't get to his head

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
You are pretty much getting it how it is. I do blunt honesty.

Being mistaken is not contradictory with being honest.

But since you say you might appreciate a blunt 'truth', here are my two cents anyway.

---

Seriously, I have very serious doubts about your theory and every advice we have heard here, because you're not supposed to be able to type a twelve years old kid.

He can't be ENTP because at this stage, his cognitive functions are still growing; his path is not chosen, unless you believe types are determined by genetics (and I won't follow you on that very slippery slope).

And even then, again, there is NO WAY you could be sure he will become an ENTP. Thus I guess you have self typed him, and this is a common mistake. (But Jung would have been horrified with what you did! :D)

For instance, I know many strong Js (as adults) that were extremely messy kids. And I know several indisputable extroverts that were rather shy when they were younger, and vice versa.

And furthermore, according to what you have said about him, your son is NOT behaving like an adult ENTP at all (and it is fortunate, believe me).

---

Thus, I can only induce that you are projecting many unconscious questions, desires or biases on him, since you apparently "want" him to be an ENTP. Don't worry, such behavior is perfectly normal for any responsible caring mother, so I won't put the blame on you.

But don't fool yourself too much, it wouldn't be very wise.

---

The only sound advice I have noticed here is the need for adult male role models, because it can work whether your son will become an ENTP or not. Does he have a few interesting uncles, for instance? :)
But the rest are extrapolations based on weak evidences.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I am sorry but i am tired so i am going to keep this short.

Someone on this site posted a link in one of the threads .. I got my kid to do the test.

This is what he got, which he agreed with .. Portrait of an ENP Child ..

Adult personality types contain four letters, while for kids aged 7-12 we use three letter types. What happened to the missing letter? It's there, we just can't usually determine what it is until after a person is around 13 years old. ENP kids will grow up to be either ENTP "Visionaries" or ENFP "Inspirers". At this stage in their development, it's not obvious whether they will choose Thinking or Feeling to complement their preference for Intuition. You will see the child practicing both Thinking and Feeling as they settle down into their preferred function. In some children, it's possible to distinguish their "missing" letter, but for many kids we just have to wait a few years to be sure.

The kid wanted to take a look at the 2 and he said agreed to all the visionaries Strengths and weaknesses. Maybe he will turn out to be an inspirer .. I just was asking for a little guidance with a little problem i am having. If you choose to look more into it then fine.

My son could have the type TW*T .. and i would still love him to bits and be very proud.

Also, if i could choose his type, it would be an SJ obviously as me and my other son is ..