• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP's as kids

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
It's always the DAMN! Somalians!!!!!

That would be awesome, bring him to the dark side.

One of us, One of us, One of us.

I am not being racist but my kid doesn't have white friends who can challenge his thinking methods. These kids just want to be gangsters .. Tut.

If this site had a kiddy section, i would let him join. You would rip him to pieces, although he has strong views and is good at expressing them, he is still just a kid. I have to remind myself that sometimes.

I'm highly suspicious of the school's assessment - do you have any examples of this terrible behaviour?

Storming out of the classroom during lessons. Refusing to do his work.
Swearing and answering back at teachers. Running down the halls. Being late for lessons. Blah Blah Blah.

It was mentioned that Elliot may not be stimulated enough in the classroom .. No shit Sherlock. Having a 1000 kids to look after though, school is about gving and showing respect, that is what i was told anyway.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
That sounds very odd for an ENTP kid. :shock:

I mean, not the grades, but the fact he acknowledges to have "his future mapped out".

---

You should remember that according to the whole theory, Jungian typology is not supposed to be made for teens. And that trying to type a young teen often gives unaccurate, false or incomplete datas.

Someone had posted a link to a kids personality test. We both agree on all the strengths and weaknesses.
Lol .. Elliot's future plans are grand. Lets give it a year and see if he changes his mind.

People said I'd regret it when I was older, but I haven't yet and I've been more successful than my swotty sister by a long way, and am happier than her too.

I think your best bet would be to support his decisions to do things his own way. If it really is more in his interest to act another way, you can bet he'll probably realize it on his own when the time's right, and will do it of his own free will.

Totally agree .. School doesn't teach you about life .. Only life does that .. Are my geography lessons on glaciers helpful now .. NO. Its the potential though. I have to think things through so bloody hard (i know what i mean) .. this kid has a brain like a sponge. He reeled off his lines from a school production from 3 years ago the other day just to remind me that he knew them. lol. I am happy to plod on in life. I will get what i want. I just have his best intentions at heart.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
He doesn't hang around with children of his intelligence level?
His friends have no interest in learning?
His friends are deadbeats and losers?
He has no common interests with his friends?

What does having white friends have to do with someone challenging his thinking methods???

There are many ways to word that statement, but I guess you just picked the one that was most honest to you, and I can't fault you for being honest.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

I mean, not the grades, but the fact he acknowledges to have "his future mapped out".

---

You should remember that according to the whole theory, Jungian typology is not supposed to be made for teens. And that trying to type a young teen often gives unaccurate, false or incomplete datas.

why...sounds to me like a typical entp kid to me...maybe with big ideas and very self-aware very early on, but entp nonetheless

its if he actually starts working towards those ideas when you might doubt his ENTPness...or just agree that what we have here is a fairly mature and determined ENTP. determination, in this case (as in mine), comes from adversity. he knows that if he wants something, hes gonna have to go get it himself. there is almost no sense of entitlement.

also, this dude is going places. im only 20 and i barely know what life is but saslou, id say your very lucky to have a kid like that

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
why...sounds to me like a typical entp kid to me...maybe with big ideas and very self-aware very early on, but entp nonetheless

ENTPs are Ne-dom. They are obsessed with possibilities. Thousands of myriads of different possible scenarios are forming in their head within a single day.

"What would happen if...?"
"Should I try that?" -just for fun-

As you said, we often have no idea what life really is, because we consider the infinite possibilities. We could be anybody, just living anywhere, anytime.

We experience several lives simultaneously, and yet we don't understand any. We question everything, so there's usually no definite or ultimate answer.

Being rich makes us poor. Or vice versa.

its if he actually starts working towards those ideas when you might doubt his ENTPness...or just agree that what we have here is a fairly mature and determined ENTP. determination, in this case (as in mine), comes from adversity. he knows that if he wants something, hes gonna have to go get it himself. there is almost no sense of entitlement.

Maturity is a word that should be banned from the vocabulary of every ENTP.

also, this dude is going places. im only 20 and i barely know what life is but saslou, id say your very lucky to have a kid like that

How can you say that?

Why?

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
he knows that if he wants something, hes gonna have to go get it himself. there is almost no sense of entitlement.

I have said it, i am proud. I have always kind of pushed that on my kids. You want something, you go and get it, there are no free tickets in life, and nothing is going to be handed to you. I think it is a positive thing to push on them, even if i am pushing.

in my defense, weirder shit has happened

Freaking hell, don't tell me that, i am going to go grey. lol.

What does having white friends have to do with someone challenging his thinking methods???

There are many ways to word that statement, but I guess you just picked the one that was most honest to you, and I can't fault you for being honest.

Point taken .. (i won't tell you i was partially quoting my kid) .. Maybe he just knows they are stupid kids. Yet still hangs around with them.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Resistance is futile :D

batman.jpg

I would like to help, but I was a rolemodel child. Born conservative, die conservative :D

P.P.S.: When the cops asked for my phone number, after I drove the truck drunk through town, being 13 years old, I gave them the number of the pizza delivery :D

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
How can a so-called Ne-dom kid have any definitive idea about his future?

There is something I don't understand. I suspect this thread is just nonsense, and that we didn't answered the way we should have.

Or that Saslou is deeply mistaken.

Or that her unconscious mind wants to tell us something else.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Awwwww, you are so damn entropic :wubbie:

I will not resist.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I would like to help, but I was a rolemodel child. Born conservative, die conservative :D

P.P.S.: When the cops asked for my phone number, after I drove the truck drunk through town, being 13 years old, I gave them the number of the pizza delivery :D

You're drunk.

Again!

T

ThatGirl

I always thought that little entps talked about becoming engineers, were socially awkward, and left messy rooms.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Maybe he just knows they are stupid kids. Yet still hangs around with them.

What constitutes a stupid kid? The worst thing you can do is let this slide. An ENTP or any kid should not be lead to the possibility that they can underestimate another, or even better, go on thinking other kids abilities are subpar.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I always thought that little entps talked about becoming engineers, were socially awkward, and left messy rooms.

Ya that + messy socks :D (I wont explain the details) :D

Qre:us

I have an ESTJ mother and what she needed to do was appeal to logic. When I was disruptive at school, which was not that often because I'm a girl and socialization crushed a lot of that out of me, she would make vague statements about how "That's not okay" or "How would you feel if...?" None of that got through. It was like null data. ENTPs are system builders. What I needed was someone to ask me to think about the overall school system and what it needs to run optimally. Then I realized that me being a pain in the ass was unnecessary gunk in the cogs that kept it running. And since I agreed overall with the idea of schooling, though I thought many of their methods unduly pedantic, I got my act together. This is the ENTP version of sympathy. You just can't tell us that we should behave a certain way "just because." We're programmed to question statements like that.

Good luck with your son. We're hella hard to raise, but I hear we turn into mostly-awesome adults.

+1 Word!
It's because, as Jen also said:
Telling me to think of my future would have been futile. Appealing to my emotions would have made me read your face to figure out exactly what I thought you needed to hear. Especially since I couldn't identify a feeling at that age if you paid me. I learned how to fake emotions from watching soap operas - I had no idea that people really felt these things, I thought everybody was acting. Give this kid more mental stimulation. When he is excited learning, he won't act out. He is most likely bored at school and bored (or stressed) at home and doesn't even realize it yet. A general lethargy and apathy. Give him something to care about that is all his. If I had been challenged more, I would have ended up on a different path.

And, I know for me, it was the above plus the school system being lazy to deal with kids like me. I was *energy* brimming for outlet. And, I chose to most amusing/interesting one to me. It's an ENTP thing. Motivation for inquiry.

If you motivate me to become interested, in *whatever*, then, I'll channel the shyte out of it. Even as a kid. But, esp. as a kid, if you (parent, school) drop the ball on presenting those stimulating challenges that piques my interest....then, I couldn't help but 'act out'. I knew full well what I was doing - I was a smart-ass shit trying to defiantly play the system.

And, the system couldn't deal...

There's a lot of insight in the Child's Play - portrait of an NT child thread- quite a few ENTPs had responded, along with their retrospective views of seeing themselves as a child, and what they learned of it.

Here's one that kind of reflects what your son may very well be going through. I was a bit younger than him when this story occured:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/641531-post76.html

And another ENTP's similar story of skepticism with inefficient school system for such high-energy personality children (clinical term: ADHD et al :dry:):

I'm highly suspicious of the school's assessment - do you have any examples of this terrible behaviour?

Schools do have a habit of labelling things as "problem behaviour" when in fact it's perfectly normal and healthy - just inconvenient for their purposes. It's easier to foist the blame onto you and the kid, than to accept that they're too inflexible to accommodate different personalities and try to shoe-horn everyone into a one-size-fits-nobody system.

Dealing with ENTP children is much like dealing with ENTP adults. If you want to have him open up and talk to you about what is going on, then you need to address him as you would any other adult. Speak, not from feeling or concern, but from rationality with good intent. Don't try to be a boss or tell him what to do.

Chances are your son simply doesn't care about the effects of his actions. When ENTPs hit the self destruct button, there is little that can be done to stop them, unless it makes sense to do so.

I agree....appealing to the rational, don't talk down. But this V:

Things I wish people would have told me:

"I can see right now that you don't seem to care about anything in life and I get why you don't see the importance in the things you are doing right now. The fact of the matter is, that even though you are still young, the decisions you make right now WILL effect you later on. You need to look at what you want for yourself and your life and start coming up with ways that you can acquire this as quickly as possible, because the truth is you are not going to be happy until you have the ability to be self sufficient.

If you want the freedom to do what you know is right and good for you with out constantly meeting resistance, then you need to focus on the fact that what you are doing right now is only putting more attention on you. The consequences of your actions are going to result in people trying to control you more, and you will end up having a miserable life.

You need to figure out what you want and need and start working toward it. Thats the only long term solution. All these things that you are creating for yourself and having to deal with, will only slow you down and make you even more unhappy. So quit acting like a child and start taking responsibility for your actions. Then people will get off your back and you wont feel the need to be destructive, which I know you know, only hurts yourself.

I am saying this because I want to see you happy. If you ever need to talk about anything or just want to do something together I am here for you."

Would NOT have worked for me, when I was that age. I would take you way less seriously than before you spoke a word. :dry:

The sentiment/message is right, the wording/delivery, for me personally, when I was a kid, way off.

Probably a stupid post, lol,

Trying makes you an automatic winner. :happy:

Here is a phrase that would have made me angrier. WAY angrier.

It's not something to say in front of some ENTP teens, even if I know I shouldn't make generalizations.

I was seeing the same thing. I would have lost respect and got my back up because I could sniff the armchair psychologist patronizing, even at that age, from a mile away!

I had at least 10 different options (with contingency plans of how one aided/set up for, the other 9 options).

I was gonna learn to swim, so that I could become a syncronized swimmer, and if that didn't work, my dream of deep sea exploring would need me to be a swimmer anyway. - type deal.

ENTPs are Ne-dom. They are obsessed with possibilities. Thousands of myriads of different possible scenarios are forming in their head within a single day.

That didn't mean I didn't apply the possibilities to the far-away future. It's just I had MANY set, firm plans for world exploration. Not a narrow, one, mission...only.

Maturity is a word that should be banned from the vocabulary of every ENTP.

I concur!

As for the topic on racism and kids. Learning is key in this phenomenon (unlearning, as well). I echo this V sentiment greatly:
What constitutes a stupid kid? The worst thing you can do is let this slide. An ENTP or any kid should not be lead to the possibility that they can underestimate another, or even better, go on thinking other kids abilities are subpar.

Qre:us

:thelook:

Quick thinking that it wasn't the # for the donut shop.

(wait, do german cops eat donuts on duty, too? /racism)