• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP Isolation

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I saw a profile description for ENTP on facebook just recently:

ENTP - The Inventor
Restless, argumentative, creative, and cutting-edge. Has a lot of energy and thrives on debating and challenging others. Good at putting things together in innovative ways.

If an ENTP is basically forced into isolation from people, they would logically have very low energy right? (Since extroverts gain energy from being around people). I find that I don't ever seem to have energy, I'm usually at home constantly and trying to pass the time, bored shitless. I'll occasionally go on a knowledge quest, but most of the time I spend staying up till 5 am... I suppose trying to find someone to talk to. :)smiley_violin: damn that sounds so sad...). The problem is, this interferes with my work, I'm constantly having to shift my body clock back to get up for university lectures, and that often turns out pretty bad too.

Once upon a time, I think I dealt with this by playing video games non stop, as soon as I stopped that, things suddenly changed a bit. How can I be sure that I'm not an introvert? Am I an extrovert that's just failed to build up a decent network of friends yet?

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The general consensus seems to point to ENTPs being among the most introverted of the extroverts. My brother's an ENTP and will hole himself up for weeks at a time hoarding information of various sorts. I do the same. The difference is that when we encounter other people, if he feels moderately comfortable he will launch himself into discourse whereas I am snail-trailing behind him watching for a pause to interject myself or a one-on-one opportunity.

But we both definitely do the hermetic culling of information (t.v., internet, books, private projects etc.). Of the two of us, I seem to be much better at stopping cold-turkey any activities that seem to be absorbing an unhealthy amount of time (such as MMORPGs). He seems better at propelling himself out of his own funks and marching into the real world armed for action. Make of that what you will.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I don't have low energy in isolation - I just keep trucking along. But I do gain more energy after talking with someone. In general, I have a lot of energy, just not a lot of motivation. I spend the majority of my days alone, and I prefer it that way, even though it sometimes bores me to tears. I like it better because then I am free to pursue whatever comes up if I feel like it. Sometimes it's boring, but I'd rather be bored alone than bored with someone else's company (which happens more often than not.) But yeah, I lead a pretty isolated life by choice and I am definitely an extrovert.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i don't have low energy either. i enjoy spending time with people, but i enjoy spending time alone as well. i don't per se feel more energized by either function.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If an ENTP is basically forced into isolation from people, they would logically have very low energy right? (Since extroverts gain energy from being around people). I find that I don't ever seem to have energy, I'm usually at home constantly and trying to pass the time, bored shitless. I'll occasionally go on a knowledge quest, but most of the time I spend staying up till 5 am... I suppose trying to find someone to talk to. :)smiley_violin: damn that sounds so sad...). The problem is, this interferes with my work, I'm constantly having to shift my body clock back to get up for university lectures, and that often turns out pretty bad too.

Once upon a time, I think I dealt with this by playing video games non stop, as soon as I stopped that, things suddenly changed a bit. How can I be sure that I'm not an introvert? Am I an extrovert that's just failed to build up a decent network of friends yet?

You can look at this by thinking about the differences between Ne and Se. A primary Se goes skydiving, if he is bored, but what should the primary Ne do ? It's not so easy with that one, to find something that caughts its intrest.

With the entp I think extroversion basically comes from the ability to be actually able to explain ones feelings to others, cause when talking with them for prolonged time, you have built a mutual bridge of understanding. And besides that with logic dominant over your emotions, it gives you the ability to see your feelings rationally, though 90% of them slip through your grasp and you first get to know of their existence through others, which are better at the shit.

I can relate to 90% of what you said. I have the same troubles with university lectures and I once did small game development aswell. Tried myself on the Irrlicht Engine and the Microsoft GDK.

The last 10% are: I hate boredom.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The general consensus seems to point to ENTPs being among the most introverted of the extroverts. My brother's an ENTP and will hole himself up for weeks at a time hoarding information of various sorts. I do the same. The difference is that when we encounter other people, if he feels moderately comfortable he will launch himself into discourse whereas I am snail-trailing behind him watching for a pause to interject myself or a one-on-one opportunity.

But we both definitely do the hermetic culling of information (t.v., internet, books, private projects etc.). Of the two of us, I seem to be much better at stopping cold-turkey any activities that seem to be absorbing an unhealthy amount of time (such as MMORPGs). He seems better at propelling himself out of his own funks and marching into the real world armed for action. Make of that what you will.

That's so similar to my experience that I'm truly horrified :smile:. I tend to unleash my information on people, and when I don't have enough, I'll probe them for answers to about ten different complex questions... Other people can never seem to answer them, I am glad we live in an age full of internet goodness.

I don't have low energy in isolation - I just keep trucking along. But I do gain more energy after talking with someone. In general, I have a lot of energy, just not a lot of motivation. I spend the majority of my days alone, and I prefer it that way, even though it sometimes bores me to tears. I like it better because then I am free to pursue whatever comes up if I feel like it. Sometimes it's boring, but I'd rather be bored alone than bored with someone else's company (which happens more often than not.) But yeah, I lead a pretty isolated life by choice and I am definitely an extrovert.

I seem to doubt my extroversion periodically, it seems to fluctuate around a bit. Some of the not having much energy on my behalf I could probably more or less account to lack of sleep, exercise and nutrition... I didn't even realize till now.

You can look at this by thinking about the differences between Ne and Se. A primary Se goes skydiving, if he is bored, but what should the primary Ne do ? It's not so easy with that one, to find something that caughts its intrest.

With the entp I think extroversion basically comes from the ability to be actually able to explain ones feelings to others, cause when talking with them for prolonged time, you have built a mutual bridge of understanding. And besides that with logic dominant over your emotions, it gives you the ability to see your feelings rationally, though 90% of them slip through your grasp and you first get to know of their existence through others, which are better at the shit.

I can relate to 90% of what you said. I have the same troubles with university lectures and I once did small game development as well. Tried myself on the Irrlicht Engine and the Microsoft GDK.

I was looking into Nicola Tesla and Feynman, They are both ENTP and seem to be rather introverted. It kind of makes sense, I doubt myself way too damn much I think. The strange thing I find is the whole ISXX being considered more extroverted than ENXPs, how often is this true?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
That's so similar to my experience that I'm truly horrified :smile:. I tend to unleash my information on people, and when I don't have enough, I'll probe them for answers to about ten different complex questions... Other people can never seem to answer them, I am glad we live in an age full of internet goodness.

I seem to doubt my extroversion periodically, it seems to fluctuate around a bit. Some of the not having much energy on my behalf I could probably more or less account to lack of sleep, exercise and nutrition... I didn't even realize till now.

I was looking into Nicola Tesla and Feynman, They are both ENTP and seem to be rather introverted. It kind of makes sense, I doubt myself way too damn much I think. The strange thing I find is the whole ISXX being considered more extroverted than ENXPs, how often is this true?

I believe the point is that you can still be rather introverted, while leading with an extraverted function. (I think there is a distinction between extroverts and extraverted functions, but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

In this sense, we can be withdrawn socially but still look to external matters to fuel our dominant function, which is intuition. I think ESTPs, because their dominant function is sensory, tend to be out and about more. While extraverted intuition can happen by observation - but for me it also happens with interaction. Hearing someone say something sets my mind off on a million tangents and I want to explore more. But after I've collected all these butterflies, I run home to withdraw and dissect in solitude.

When I am out with people, I can be extremely social and operate in NeFe mode. But I don't always feel like being "on", even though it is physically energizing for me.

With the availability of the internet, I find that I no longer require physical people to feed the beast and I consider myself some what of a shut in. This mentally energizes me and leads me to be up all night. If people didn't make so much of an effort to be in my life, they would slowly drift away into oblivion and I probably wouldn't notice or even care. But maybe that's just me...

Cady

MBTI Type
ENTP

This is something I've been debating with a lot too. I may be off-base here as I'm new to this, but I think ENTP's are probably one of the least social "E" types not neccisarily by choice, but it's simply hard to find like minded people who will tolerate our favorite mode of conversation.

I know in a lot of groups I simply feel alienated every time I try to join the conversation because what I say, while interesting, is either too obscure for most people to want to pick up or too charged and people don't want to start a debate.

Very big groups seem to be the worst. There are enough types that tend to curb their behavior to fit the perceived norm, and they won't feel comfortable discussing more unique topics with you in the presence of too many people. I don't completely understand it myself, I guess they're worried about feeling weird?

If I can't relate with Ne most of the time I fall back to Ti and become very quite and contemplative, at this point I may just want to go home and play video games, because I just feel so out of sorts with everyone else.

My best success has been with smaller groups, maybe 3-5 people, hanging out in a laid back environment. People tend to be a lot more accepting, even appreciating our particular brand of weirdness when they don't feel like we're liabilities to them socially.

I completely relate to you with the introverted vs extroverted thing. The more time I spend alone, the less energy I have, which makes it that much harder for me to get out of my house. I'll get very melancholic if I'm alone and don't have something on hand to immerse myself in. Maybe ENTP's are more prone to isolating themselves?

Lucky for me most of my friends are stoners, and keep me around to entertain them with my theories and arguments.

I'm usually up 'till 5am too >.<

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
This is something I've been debating with a lot too. I may be off-base here as I'm new to this, but I think ENTP's are probably one of the least social "E" types not neccisarily by choice, but it's simply hard to find like minded people who will tolerate our favorite mode of conversation.

No, you are right. We kept to distinguish between social extroversion and Ne. The latter means the entp likes input from the outside world to get to know new things. But it doesnt mean he needs the outside world...

Sachetan

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think that intuition means that we like to "live within our heads" making plans and building theories but if we do that too often we'll get out of ENTP mode since it's the outside contacts that eventually charge us. Maybe it has to do with finding a balance where we're dragged back into life after a period of creative hatching?

I once heard a theory that could explain that couch potatoness but don't really remember it. It had to do with changing your behaviour to something really different when under stress than what it is normally. Someone please help, if you know what I'm talking about.

But being bored is something I really don't understand. Never have been, not even when I was a child. There's always too much to do. Or is it because of my E/I that are almost equal?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that intuition means that we like to "live within our heads" making plans and building theories but if we do that too often we'll get out of ENTP mode since it's the outside contacts that eventually charge us. Maybe it has to do with finding a balance where we're dragged back into life after a period of creative hatching?

I once heard a theory that could explain that couch potatoness but don't really remember it. It had to do with changing your behaviour to something really different when under stress than what it is normally. Someone please help, if you know what I'm talking about.

But being bored is something I really don't understand. Never have been, not even when I was a child. There's always too much to do. Or is it because of my E/I that are almost equal?

I remember specifically as a child, telling my parents that I was bored. of course they just told me to go and colour in books, or go outside and play. I don't know why I remember that so clearly, it must have been the first time I was ever bored or something :shock:. Certainly other types would get this just as much as ENTPians? I'm feeling half bored right now... I feel like building something...

Cozlet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Just need to say right here, that I love my ENTP with passion.

He was custom made 100% perfectly just for me.

S'cuse my egocentrism.

:)

Cozlet

MBTI Type
INFJ
Sorry... did i just miss the point of this discussion?

Mm. Nothing new there.

Anybody else find ENTPs distracting beyond functional levels?

Just curious.

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I can relate to 90% of what you said. I have the same troubles with university lectures and I once did small game development aswell. Tried myself on the Irrlicht Engine and the Microsoft GDK.

Are you kidding? And what if the Se user doesn't have the money to go skydiving (a few hundred US dollars a jump)? Should they go for a run? No, the boredom sets in. Play basketball? The issue here assumes that there aren't others around. What's left? Break things! Not good..

A Ne user can keep themselves busy in their minds - having a goal and a vision, and hurling themselves towards it.

King-of-Despair, what do you want in life? Where do you want to be in 5, 10, 20 years? Sounds like you've got some free time, so seize your chance to commence!

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't wanna sound like a smartass but these posts are from 2009 :shock: