• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Differences between NT thinking and ST thinking

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
There was a thread like this for a NF/SF comparison. So, curiosity led me to creating one for the Thinkers.

lastrailway

I find it easier to categorise thinking as Ti and Te, rather than NT and ST. While analytical, 'whole picture' thinking is supposedly common in all NT types, I can't even start to compare STPs to STJs.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I find it easier to categorise thinking as Ti and Te, rather than NT and ST. While analytical, 'whole picture' thinking is supposedly common in all NT types, I can't even start to compare STPs to STJs.

I agree.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP

Me too...

NT and ST though... as a very broad summary of my personal experience, I'd say NT thinks more about what things mean and ST thinks more about what they are. To the NT, what they mean is what they are, things only are what they mean, you know, they are given definition by their position in a bigger picture. To the ST, what things are is what they mean, and if they've any relevance to anything else than it has to be done and shown and proven empirically and physically. Sorta.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think you can lump most STs into one category of thinking style.

My Mom is an ISTJ, and it seems that her "thinking" doesn't involve problem solving, but rather how to get things done. Maybe it's just problem solving in a different sense.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I really don't think its about "different thikning" per se, but rather about how that thinking is backed ...... the perceptions of sensing and intuition can yield highly different beliefs, afterall

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
abstract/NT: crack the code, then extract a general principle for how the code was cracked, so that methods can be created to crack future codes.

concrete/ST: use methods and experience to crack codes and circumvent problems using common sense? use specific occurrences rather than abstract principles to solve problems?

freedom geek

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
ST thinking: Feet firmly on the ground and hands firmly in the dirt.
NT thinking: Feet firmly on the ground and heat firmly in the clouds.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You have to explain everything (or every step, depends on Ti or Te dominant) in detail and take your time to take em through. But they are wittier than one may think sometimes.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You gonna hold on to that Scotch till the day you die or pass it around for the thirsty people aswell ?

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd normally be all over this, but Jack Daniel's is dead to me. If people want to call it scotch, I won't rush to its defense.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I bought that bottle of glenfiddich solera 16 years, ouh my better than the whiskey from the supermarket. Meets your tongue with a cherry flavour and goes down the throat with a mild-burning hazelnut aroma. Pure Starfleet academy