19 18.10%
  • INTP

22 20.95%
First 1234513 Last

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    INTP boss: Lousy directions, but doesn't care to correct or discipline you.
    ENTJ boss: Very explicit and interactive, can be domineering.
    INTJ boss: Very thorough, can be domineering and OCD but stuffs.
    ENTP boss: Fun and freewheeling, flexible, but no real guidance
    just for clarification (not directed at you, but in general):

when i'm in a leadership role, i have no problem whatsoever with guidance. i'm very clear about what i want/need done, about what i expect, and if necessary (say in a group setting where each participant's work will effect another's) explaining why i want it done that way.

maybe it's just me, but when it's time to get down to business, and get things done, i don't have a problem at all taking the lead.

the 'teaching' part comes as a natural part of the role.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    just for clarification (not directed at you, but in general):

when i'm in a leadership role, i have no problem whatsoever with guidance. i'm very clear about what i want/need done, about what i expect, and if necessary (say in a group setting where each participant's work will effect another's) explaining why i want it done that way.

maybe it's just me, but when it's time to get down to business, and get things done, i don't have a problem at all taking the lead.
    It's not just you. Hell, I've only ever had the reverse complaint . . . Probably cause I'm lazy enough to want to avoid having to review something twice or being forced to do it myself.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    It's not just you. Hell, I've only had the reverse complaint . . . Probably cause I'm lazy enough to want to avoid having to review something twice or being forced to do it myself.
    yeah, i think deciding how well a person would teach based solely on mbti profiles is a bad idea. a position of leadership brings out a different side than what's normally shown when one is just 'cruising' through their daily life.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    intp

Well, that, and also: people navigate their preferences to reach different ends in how to go about something. I hate having people come talk to me over and over. For one, the less interaction the better. Second, I *hate* repetition. I also don't like to undermine how they feel about their efforts. It's annoying as hell when people complain about what they get when they weren't so particular about what they wanted.
    So even if we use mbti: dislike of repetition + aversion to excess interaction + and NP "efficient cause I'm lazy" --> clear, specific directions.

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    OMG, give me an mature INTJ or ENTJ. I have NPs for bosses and while I come and go as I please and turn in work when I want they offer no guidance or direction whatsoever. That was initially cool, but it's become extremely frustrating.
    I don't know anything about you or where you work. But maybe you assume that no guidance means they aren't actively participating?

Personally I usually let things free float until there is a specific taks or deliverable to be done.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Believe me, don't snooze on us ENTPs. My freewheeling, laid back ways are just a ruse - I prefer a friendly work environment and hence, don't like to micromanage. I hired you so I wouldn't have to do your job. If someone thinks I'm so absent minded, watch what happens when you don't live up to your end of the bargain... I'm a pit bull in a skirt, for sure.

I am very clear about what I expect and the timeline in which I expect it. In addition, I have a very open door policy, so I am always available to answer any questions. If you don't ask, I assume you know what you're doing and don't need further guidance - so I don't offer it. But if you do ask, I am more than willing to walk you through it step by step. I love teaching and explaining but I just don't want anyone to feel insulted - as if I'm questioning their abilities.

Enneagram
    1w2

Guidance at work is a very individual thing. Some people see guidance as "micromanaging" and others think that if everything isn't spelled out in explicit detail with SOPs there is no guidance. When a work environment isn't functioning or is barely limping by there's a lack of leadership. In my office it just so happens that NPs are in charge.

The major barrier to this as complacency. Astoundingly enough I work with plenty of older NPs who are comfortable and have found there niche and don't want to move. They're making their six-figure or near six-figure salary, have compressed work weeks, go on vacations when they want. I can't hate on them if they've worked enough to get to a place where they don't have to work. Everything's very loose, and we're so laid back we're practically comatose. There are an incredible amount of ideas generated about what we could do and how we can do this but unless someone picks up the ideas and actually makes them happen. I don't think at this point it's a type issue; they've basically reached the point that the living is easy, the job is low stress, and they can roll projects that don't hold any appeal to them to their subordinates. There's a large age difference in my department that may be difficult to bridge and I think the older people have lost their hunger to succeed because they're reached "success."

I know that in my division everything is done at the absolute last minute and I think the quality of work suffers. Poor morale, uncertainty about what an employees role is, and reluctance to communicate openly and honestly are my markers of poor leadership. If it's any proof my division director is gradually getting departments removed from her jurisdiction and placed under other operational divisions. She's an extremely charming 50-something youthful ENFP who has a twinkle in her eyes. Personally, I like her. But none of the other division directors really take her seriously because she produces nothing. She doesn't even know how to access our local drives at work to get the work we leave for her. Everything's "we'll take care of it later!!" If it weren't for the INFP and ESFJ deputy directors feeding her information she'd know nothing. My organization has got a fair amount of N higher-ups so it's not like you can blame SJs. And I work with three ISTPs and they say the same thing, but I don't doubt it could be a J/P issue. I really think that most managers aren't trained adequately enough to be true leaders.

As a sidenote she sent me a friend request on Facebook and I don't know if I want my boss to be my friend of Facebook and I haven't answered the request. I hope she hasn't noticed!
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    intp

Sounds like a depressing place to work. I don't like people breathing down my neck to get something done, either (just tell me exactly what you want and gtfo), but comatose work situations cause a creeping, numbing apathy not unlike depression. Complacency will do that, especially if the complacent have fat checks to help it.
    and I would NOT add a boss on facebook (wtf?), but compartmentalization's not everyone's speed.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

I would seek and bring to fruition an avenue to channel money from the stimulus package to our sector of the company so that we all could keep gaffing off work and maintain our income. I would also create a mini-beaurocracy to mask the money funneling under the guise of a newly labeled supentitlement. eNTP. Yes we can

In all reality, i'd prefer an ENTP. For shifty reasons.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    YaYa

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Guidance at work is a very individual thing. Some people see guidance as "micromanaging" and others think that if everything isn't spelled out in explicit detail with SOPs there is no guidance. When a work environment isn't functioning or is barely limping by there's a lack of leadership. In my office it just so happens that NPs are in charge.

The major barrier to this as complacency. Astoundingly enough I work with plenty of older NPs who are comfortable and have found there niche and don't want to move. They're making their six-figure or near six-figure salary, have compressed work weeks, go on vacations when they want. I can't hate on them if they've worked enough to get to a place where they don't have to work. Everything's very loose, and we're so laid back we're practically comatose. There are an incredible amount of ideas generated about what we could do and how we can do this but unless someone picks up the ideas and actually makes them happen. I don't think at this point it's a type issue; they've basically reached the point that the living is easy, the job is low stress, and they can roll projects that don't hold any appeal to them to their subordinates. There's a large age difference in my department that may be difficult to bridge and I think the older people have lost their hunger to succeed because they're reached "success."

I know that in my division everything is done at the absolute last minute and I think the quality of work suffers. Poor morale, uncertainty about what an employees role is, and reluctance to communicate openly and honestly are my markers of poor leadership. If it's any proof my division director is gradually getting departments removed from her jurisdiction and placed under other operational divisions. She's an extremely charming 50-something youthful ENFP who has a twinkle in her eyes. Personally, I like her. But none of the other division directors really take her seriously because she produces nothing. She doesn't even know how to access our local drives at work to get the work we leave for her. Everything's "we'll take care of it later!!" If it weren't for the INFP and ESFJ deputy directors feeding her information she'd know nothing. My organization has got a fair amount of N higher-ups so it's not like you can blame SJs. And I work with three ISTPs and they say the same thing, but I don't doubt it could be a J/P issue. I really think that most managers aren't trained adequately enough to be true leaders.

As a sidenote she sent me a friend request on Facebook and I don't know if I want my boss to be my friend of Facebook and I haven't answered the request. I hope she hasn't noticed!
    Its easy to criticize the ENFP for not knowing tech shit. But most Execs aren't very tech savy. Honestly, you probably don't know what her workload is or what is on her plate.

Reminds me of when people criticize execs for making millions of dollars per year while their employees only make $20K/year. The execs are being compensated for being on-call 24/7 and growing a ulcer from all the stress.