User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    entp

Default Reason leads to conclusions, Emotion leads to action

Rational thinking and emotion: one without the other is a dangerous thing

THERE'S a famous case in neuroscience of a man whose brain was damaged in a way that stopped him feeling emotions. He was a living example of homo economicus - the rational calculator of what course of action would suit him best.

And, in fact, he was very good at carefully itemising and weighing the pros and cons of every choice.

There was just one problem: he could never make up his mind. He would just go on weighing the pros and cons.

Emotion without reason gives you talkback radio. Reason without emotion gives you the worst excesses of economic rationalism.
    mental attitude - for economists is to say to the community: tell us your material objectives and we'll tell you the best way to achieve them at the minimum cost in resources, given your desired level of quality.

The one thing economists should never do is tell the community what its objectives should be. This is because objectives - ends - are the province of emotion. We want what we want
    The classic example of rationalists persuading governments to give up ends because they would make such wonderful means is the deregulation of shopping hours and dismantling of penalty payments for work at unsociable hours.

There is no denying that moving the economy closer to a 24-hour, seven-days-a-week operation will make it more efficient in producing material goods and services.

But, equally, you have to be emotionally crippled to fail to see that abolishing the weekend advances our material ends at the expense of social ends, such as a rich emotional life with family and friends. Great idea.
    whadyathink

edit: screw the perspective this article is written from...does the article hold any merit to you?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Accurate but phrased to sell emotion to rational thinkers and make the motivators feel better when surrounded by the thinkers.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I think I sound more like that famous case than I want to admit. :blushing:

I spend a lot of time sitting around thinking about what I want to do, weighing pros and cons, but nothing ever motivates me to act on any of it. In fact I always seem to minimize action as much as possible.

I thought I had more developed emotions than this...

Although, maybe the article is partially wrong. It might only be talking about emotions that originate from internal motivation, rather than cues from other people. If so, that would make sense.

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Accurate but phrased to sell emotion to rational thinkers and make the motivators feel better when surrounded by the thinkers.
    most people here being T, specifically NT, everyone here can see that...so screw the obvious...does the article hold any merit to you?

MBTI
    entp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I think I sound more like that famous case than I want to admit. :blushing:

I spend a lot of time sitting around thinking about what I want to do, weighing pros and cons, but nothing ever motivates me to act on any of it. In fact I always seem to minimize action as much as possible.

I thought I had more developed emotions than this...

Although, maybe the article is partially wrong. It might only be talking about emotions that originate from internal motivation, rather than cues from other people.
    for me it makes perfect sense, specially where relationships with other NTs are concerned...ideas are seeping out of (or into) every hole...but not going into action unless i get pushed to the point where i HAVE to make a decision and, in retrospect, it ends up favoring my feelings

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by thisGuy View Post
    most people here being T, specifically NT, everyone here can see that...so screw the obvious...does the article hold any merit to you?
    Sorry but I AM an NT. That was it's merit! Anything else would have been extrapolation and as such would be more a measure of my own merits rather than the text itself.

Aside from that, no it really doesn't impact on me so much. It's too obvious.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    entp

crazy...i never connected the dots till i read the article

I didn't click on the link, just read the snippets you quoted in the OP.

My first reaction:

Just like reason allows for the objective weighing of a situation, its pros and cons, emotion allows for the subjective weighing of an investment in the situation, its pros and cons.

Meaning, we can get to a final conclusion through reason, but the motivation, the subjective analysis of WHY to INVEST** in this conclusion, will be tied to the emotion. Which would lead to action.

** E.g., is it worth it to me to invest the time? Am I excited following this action through? Am I bored with the prospect of taking the action? etc, etc...

So, yeah, I can see it.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Seriously though, why do people believe rational thinkers are emotionless. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Seriously though, why do people believe rational thinkers are emotionless. :P
    Because according to MBTI, Thinking and Feeling are opposites that push each other away. They're both judgment functions that would conflict with each other. You know, like when you line up two magnets with the same pole and they repel each other.

That's pretty much the basis of why rational thinkers are thought to be less emotional than idealistic feelers. Along with the idea of bankers being heartless bean counters, and the idea that generous, empathetic, or compliant people have more feelings, etc. Much of this theory is influenced by popular interpretations of reality, and mirrors a kind of mythological consciousness that people tend towards.