User Tag List

First 678

Results 71 to 78 of 78

  1. #71
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Both are examples of the stated theory not, as you supposed, the opposing sides of it. F does mean feeling but it does not mean that feeling means F. Otherwise feelers would be less inclined to think and that's just complete BS.
    Again...what? Of course, we're trying to see if there's connection to MBTI given the OP....I thought that was the intent of the OP?

    Where did you deduce that whatever I said would mean that feelers have 'less inclination' to think?

    F does not mean feeling, nor does feeling mean F. F stands for "Feeling"...a term in MBTI-speak. And "Feeling" is abbreviated as F. This "Feeling" in quotes has a very specific definition according to MBTI, just as "Thinking" does...which....does not...literally translate to thinking (as we use the term, in everyday usage).

    Again, I'm having a hard time understanding your point, and your point of what you think I'm trying to say. Esp. this:
    Both are examples of the stated theory not, as you supposed, the opposing sides of it.
    In MBTI, eight "things" have been paired off, i.e., dichotomized. E/I, N/S, T/F, P/J. Meaning, in the theory of of MBTI, the pairs are opposite to each other. I didn't say any more or less. Hence, me saying extremes...the true dichotomy. In reality, unless one is a robot, I don't think you have to sell me hard on the idea that "thinkers" can feel, as I never contested that. My point was (from the beginning) that "Thinkers", because they're predisposed to face situations through the "thinking" function, when faced with a situation that overwhelmingly calls for the utilization of a "feeling" function, would be more awkward/uncertain of how to tackle it, than a comparative "Feeler" in the same situation. Which, I called, 'less control'.

    ISFJ "You have to do that because you're supposed to". If F was all about emotion then there wouldn't be this strain of irreverent traditionalism running through it. It'd be more independent and individualistic.

    Oh and that example is from a negative feedback ISFJ so it's not even about gaining approval particularly.
    Well, I think, the SJ has more to do with following tradition, than F...so I don't really get your illustration there.

  2. #72
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Again...what? Of course, we're trying to see if there's connection to MBTI given the OP....I thought that was the intent of the OP?

    Where did you deduce that whatever I said would mean that feelers have 'less inclination' to think?

    F does not mean feeling, nor does feeling mean F. F stands for "Feeling"...a term in MBTI-speak. And "Feeling" is abbreviated as F. This "Feeling" in quotes has a very specific definition according to MBTI, just as "Thinking" does...which....does not...literally translate to thinking (as we use the term, in everyday usage).
    You appeared to be inferring that feeling (ie F) indicated emotion, the two are not directly linked. If that reading is wrong you have by abject apologies.
    Again, I'm having a hard time understanding your point, and your point of what you think I'm trying to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander
    You're either wrong because you think that F is feeling as in feeling emotion (A) or you're wrong because you're thinking that an attempt at classification is the reality (B). A implies B does not imply that B implies A.
    F does stand for feeling, feeling emotions is a common thought strain but F does not equal emotion.
    -or-
    We are told that this thing is an orange, ergo it is limited to being an orange however it was what it is before it was labelled and will continue to be exactly the same. The definition given reflects what is not the other way around. (Without perfect understanding room must always be left for the observations to be wrong.)
    In MBTI, eight "things" have been paired off, i.e., dichotomized. E/I, N/S, T/F, P/J. Meaning, in the theory of of MBTI, the pairs are opposite to each other. I didn't say any more or less. Hence, me saying extremes...the true dichotomy. In reality, unless one is a robot, I don't think you have to sell me hard on the idea that "thinkers" can feel, as I never contested that. My point was (from the beginning) that "Thinkers", because they're predisposed to face situations through the "thinking" function, when faced with a situation that overwhelmingly calls for the utilization of a "feeling" function, would be more awkward/uncertain of how to tackle it, than a comparative "Feeler" in the same situation. Which, I called, 'less control'.
    In such clinical terms you are correct but in reality such terms are never met. There are too many variables in humans for dichotomies anyway, the MBTI is being purely illustrative in that regard in my opinion. I have seen no great divide, no chasm to cross only those with their left ear pierced and those with their right ear pierced. Of course that is a difference but it's hardly as important or crucial as many seem to imagine it to be. My ENFP friend can analyse with the best of them, my ENFJ friend can cut people down with a few choice words like an NT would (though he tends to shout so perhaps an ENT). The type is never the person, only an indication, in general, of part of their psyche.

    Also, and in combination, the MBTI does not indicate prevalence, only preference. Many people seem to be making that mistake in concept recently.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #73
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Ehm yes INTJmom, I suppose I should have said crying has never solved any of my problems. I lost a loved one as well, I did cry (despite it taking me ages to actually cry about it. Took me two years. >.< The first two years I basicly just drank, used and abused away. :/), I pitied myself afterwards. It may have been a play in getting over myself but in no way did it really do anything positively to me. In the end, it was my actions after I decided to move on, that helped me move on. And not the crying or sadness.

    I understand it's not like that for everyone.
    Alcohol was sounding pretty enticing today.

  4. #74
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Alcohol was sounding pretty enticing today.
    Trust me, it doesn't help one bit in the longrun. It might be nice occasional for some stress relief, but it's important not to get lost in it. Which is very, very easy to do. ;(

    At least for me, since I had no one on my supporting side at the time. That may have been my downfall into substances at the time come to think of it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  5. #75
    Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    I get it now! Alcohol leads to 'action'!


    ...or did I miss the point again
    Embrace the possibilities.

  6. #76
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    I get it now! Alcohol leads to 'action'!
    It can, though a little too soon I've found
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  7. #77
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post
    I get it now! Alcohol leads to 'action'!


    ...or did I miss the point again
    I think you're closer to the point than you may realise...

    I'm assuming however you do realise it. In which case, best reply ever. *tips hat*
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  8. #78
    Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I think you're closer to the point than you may realise...

    I'm assuming however you do realise it. In which case, best reply ever. *tips hat*
    Embrace the possibilities.

Similar Threads

  1. How Relevant is Philosophy To Actions?
    By BlackDog in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 11-25-2014, 11:01 AM
  2. [INFJ] Call to Action for all INFJs
    By yeghor in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 114
    Last Post: 09-16-2014, 02:23 AM
  3. Box of condoms leads to evacuation
    By rivercrow in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 04:55 AM
  4. Ambivalent Childrearing, OR "Confusion Leads to Illumination"
    By Ivy in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-06-2007, 08:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO