User Tag List

123 Last

Default The oddest ENTP women ever...

I work with a female chemical engineer-she is about 30, PhD in chemical engineering from a top engineering school here in the US. Did her undergrad here as well at the same school. She grew up till college in Taiwan. She was raised with the expectation she would take over the family business which is chemical engineering in Taiwan.

The problem is that she is one of the strangest entp women I have ever seen. She is an ENTP, although it took me months to really be certain of this and I am still somewhat confused. I thought ESTP for a long time but her thesis is exceedingly abstract and her eyes are much more entp than estp, and she actually can talk science once focused-unlike my estp collegues.

She is outgoing, energetic, very clever, and once focused comes across as a typical entp especially when interacting with other Thinker women.

However in the majority of her interactions she overplays her femininity to the point of ridiculousness. She is infantile by definition. She has been with my company for three years as a principal investigator, but would come to work dressed in miniskirts, halter tops and with her bathing suit showing through her tank top. The majority of men she worked with no longer wanted to interact with her as they were very uncomfortable with all of the "extras" showing.

She also will try and be excessively flirty, even with other women, making coy eye movements, little giggles and change her entire posture to appear less threatening. She tries to show off her boobs to me even. She ACTS like an idiot, and to make her stop i will say "hey, dude, you gotta put on your game face" and she settles down to being a normal entp again. She plays up her own pretend stupidity to get others to help her do things.

When things go sour she likes to fall back on the "he's being mean to me" excuse. She also has gotten tangled into two recent messes with an entp male coworker and a customer in which she got propositioned sexually, but just can't understand why, and then later said they were mean to her because she declined thier advances.

1) Have you EVER seen an entp women like this? (I never have)
    2) Could there be cultural effects at play here that influence here her decision to become infantile as some sort of defense mechanism?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

she sounds fun (biased entp here)

off to cardio, i might actually write a real answer later (maybee)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    her eyes are much more entp than estp
    What do ENTP eyes look like?

Anything like this?
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

If she's dumbing herself down to be accepted it sounds influenced by culture to me, at the least background and then mixed with self esteem issues.

MBTI
    GONE

I have a question for you - is she cute? I mean that seriously. If you saw her outside of work, would you think she was a professional or a cute girl hanging out at the mall?

It might be influenced by culture - but I wouldn't say this is common in east asia or even Taiwan. I've known my fair share of Taiwanese/Chinese female exchange students, particularly in the sciences, and they came to get down in the hood - as in that hood you mix chemicals and do experiments in (it's some kinda science nerd lab jockey joke, I'm sure you get it).

Also, unlike in the states, it's very accepted in east asia for women to excel in math and sciences and still retain their femininity - in fact, being smart, being at the top of your class - does nothing to diminish your femininity or desirability. In fact, being school smart and having a quality higher education is a desired trait in women and women generally have no hang-ups about it.

So I wouldn't say she is trying to over compensate for her smarts.

Then again, acting overly feminine and such - it's not uncommon in east asian culture. However, it is pretty inappropriate how she is dressing, as it's immodest.

I think if it's related to upbringing, it would be more related to her family. Perhaps she was doted upon or this behavior was rewarded in the past. Or acting like this was the only way she could get what she wanted.

I would say if she is considered very attractive by most people, that it was just easier this way and people didn't take her intelligence seriously.

Since she's 30, even by her cultural standards she only has a few years left where she can get away with this kind of behavior. If I'm guessing correctly how she's acting - the almost infantile, cutesy, making pouty faces, acting exuberant when she gets her way - that's acceptable in girls.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

If she made her PhD at the age of 30 already, she probably nowadays is in grave need to get laid .
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    GONE

Hey, random thought - maybe she's rebelling against all the responsibility and expectation put on her. She just wanted to have a normal life as a young woman - go to the mall, shop, date around, be goofy. But no, she had to come to the states to study freakin chemical engineering so she could become CEO of her family business at 35 and die alone (okay, I'm reaching here, work with me). She she has a little bit of a peter pan(ella?) syndrome.

Or being taken out of her social context and straight into the grind in america, she still acts and dresses like she did at 18 back in Taiwan. Which has the same outcome as Peter Pan(ella)ism.

Either that, or she really is just clueless. It's possible her family, her crew back home dresses and act like that and it's totally fine. Taiwanese/Chinese fashion can be a little "extra".

If it's a problem, is there any way HR can talk to her without threat of a lawsuit?
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

Johari/Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Mort Belfry View Post
    What do ENTP eyes look like?

Anything like this?
    Mort those would be hyperthyroid eyes, not ENTP eyes. This is totally my BS, but it seems entps do a lot more visual retreival of info (NPL) lots of up left and up right glances. The estps I have been watching almost never do this-they do lots of side to side glancing which is supposed to match with verbal retreival. hell I dont know...

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I have a question for you - is she cute? I mean that seriously. If you saw her outside of work, would you think she was a professional or a cute girl hanging out at the mall?

Since she's 30, even by her cultural standards she only has a few years left where she can get away with this kind of behavior. If I'm guessing correctly how she's acting - the almost infantile, cutesy, making pouty faces, acting exuberant when she gets her way - that's acceptable in girls.
    She's fucking hot as hell. I mean I dont dig chicks, but she is totally sexy-cutsy. That's why it is so problematic. She has a very sexy body and a cute face too.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    If she made her PhD at the age of 30 already, she probably nowadays is in grave need to get laid .
    Nope, she has a boyfriend. Actually finished her pHD at 28.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Hey, random thought - maybe she's rebelling against all the responsibility and expectation put on her. She just wanted to have a normal life as a young woman - go to the mall, shop, date around, be goofy. But no, she had to come to the states to study freakin chemical engineering so she could become CEO of her family business at 35 and die alone (okay, I'm reaching here, work with me). She she has a little bit of a peter pan(ella?) syndrome.

Or being taken out of her social context and straight into the grind in america, she still acts and dresses like she did at 18 back in Taiwan. Which has the same outcome as Peter Pan(ella)ism.

Either that, or she really is just clueless. It's possible her family, her crew back home dresses and act like that and it's totally fine. Taiwanese/Chinese fashion can be a little "extra".

If it's a problem, is there any way HR can talk to her without threat of a lawsuit?
    Clueless yes. I have considered the above. She has moved out of the lab and into marketing as she didnt want to stay at the bench, but as she stands she is useless to interact with my customers. They are still scientists so her behavior is still odd and flippant by thier standards.

Turns out nobody at my company has ever honestly talked with her about this. HR is useless unless its time to get fired.

The taiwanese twist might be part of the issue-that's what I am hunting at. My thoughts much follow yours here.

I would like to give her some honest feedback-already have with regards to her claims about the entp coworker. But now that customers are involved things are very sticky.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    She's fucking hot as hell. I mean I dont dig chicks, but she is totally sexy-cutsy. That's why it is so problematic. She has a very sexy body and a cute face too.
    Okay, now that gives me more to work with.

I kinda thought as much...

As I said before, being smart and successful in east asia doesn't diminish or even affect your sex appeal or femininity quota - if you are already cute/hot to begin with. Regardless of her credentials and schooling she is going to act and dress in the way that "young cute women" are expected to act and dress like.

Though - given that cultural context, it's still kinda strange that she's acting so clueless in the workplace. Then again, as an NP, cluelessness, especially about what is considered "appropriate attire" can be expected.

I'm interested to see how this turns out!

Johari/Nohari

Oberon

She sounds like a bundle of conflicting cultural and emotional imperatives. If her attention is called to the problem, she will eventually work it out.