User Tag List

First 123

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Here is my $.02. I'm a dude, but I can somewhat relate to her behavior.

When I got out of graduate school, I went to teach courses at a university. I kinda thought "professional dress" was a stupid concept. (I still do actually, but I digress...). So I dressed fairly casually, and since I also looked pretty young for my age my students showed me a lot less respect than the other instructors. The next year I decided to experiment, so I dressed more formally including a tie and everything. I was amazed that the students gave me far more respect simply based on how I dressed. To me how a person dresses has no effect toward their competence on the job, but now I realize that most other people don't see things that way. (Also my opinion of humanity went down a notch when I realized this, but again I digress...).

Anyway my take on her is that I think she dresses how she wants to dress regardless of being in a work environment. I doubt she realizes the effect it has on her job performance. Since she is in a PR role, I think it should be pretty easy to explain to her that she needs to look the part. In this case dress code is part of the job description. If she still doesn't get it, then explain that even intelligent scientists are still shallow and petty people who judge a person based on their appearance. Furthermore this is a business and you want to take their money from them, so she needs to dress professionally to do so.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Is she the baby of her family?
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Here is my $.02. I'm a dude, but I can somewhat relate to her behavior.

When I got out of graduate school, I went to teach courses at a university. I kinda thought "professional dress" was a stupid concept. (I still do actually, but I digress...). So I dressed fairly casually, and since I also looked pretty young for my age my students showed me a lot less respect than the other instructors. The next year I decided to experiment, so I dressed more formally including a tie and everything. I was amazed that the students gave me far more respect simply based on how I dressed. To me how a person dresses has no effect toward their competence on the job, but now I realize that most other people don't see things that way. (Also my opinion of humanity went down a notch when I realized this, but again I digress...).
    There is a book in germany called "The Captain of Koeppenick". In that a guy without a job, who was considered the lowest of society back then, finds a Captain's uniform and steals it. He puts it on and takes over a company of soldiers in the neighbour town. Then he moves from eastern to western germany with the company living like a king, cause being military made you welcome everywhere back then. He is quite the gentleman + quite the ladies man, until he puts off the uniform in the end and vanishes into the mist
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]