• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] INTX and extroversion

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Recently, I seen alot of INTPs wanting to be ENTPs or just get a extroversion boost. What can an INTX do to increase His extroversion? :)

As for ENTX how strong is your extroversion, and what advise can you offer to INTX?

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Recently, I seen alot of INTPs wanting to be ENTPs or just get a extroversion boost. What can an INTX do to increase His extroversion? :)

O really? Which ones?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
there are quite a few...people wanting to use Ne. but that will not make you more extroverted.

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
The definition of the E/I duality has always been vague, since tests take into account that the conventional definition and the definition in psychology of I and E are essentially the same.

But, anyway, as a self proclaimed INTP borderlining E....

ENxPs are easier to look for in real life than their introverted counterparts. Hang out with enough of them and eventually, they'll draw the E out of you. They readily accept your quirkiness, so it's easy to feel you're at your comfort zone.

An INTP has a good character-analysis skills. Use this as your radar to determine someone's archetype. Though I still suggest hanging out with peeps you're not necessarily comfortable with to picture out a better spectrum. Do not stick with intuitives only, even if they could be your sole niche.

Use Ne to...
1. create a pseudo Si impression. Your broad knowledge base generated by your Ne can make it appear that you have a certain degree of social conformity (Si), even if what your Ne actually does is just tinker with knowlege per se. You can create an impression that you have a certain degree of Si by stating what you know about basic social stuff.

2. Flirt with NFs. NFs are your training wheels. They're suckers for sleek metaphorical open ended interactions. Kinda like an intellectual jargon that only intuitives understand.

3. Create sarcasm. ENTPs have full mastery of this. What separates an ENTP and INTP in the humor department is that ENTP can self mock, and INTPs can only acknowledge their flaws. On the other hand, NTJs are pretty much in denial. A good ENTP can turn his flaws into something charming by making fun out of it. An INTP needs to develop something like this.

Use your power of perception to draw out all the possible merits of what the other person would say, even if your Ti would suggest that what that person is saying could be a bit illogical. Focus on the merits, and don't let your Ti act as a counter argument.

You only need to appear smart. You need not prove that you're smarter.

Loke

MBTI Type
ENTP
yea, taking a drama class is actually sound advice. Or better yet, create a character, and be him for a day. Not a stupid character like a roman gladiator, but more like, take some part of your personality and exagerate it and make a stereotypical character out of it. It doesn't need to be extreme, just keep it in mind all day. The next step is entertaining people with yourself. And the last step is building ego with that attention. People look at you, and therefore, they love you. If they don't look at you, they don't love you, so you have to do something about it! Quckly! They might already be forgetting about you! Doesn't really matter what it is, as long as you're the one doing it and they're the ones watching :D

Yeah, now you're entp

For inspiration:

YouTube - Wasp - I Wanna Be Somebody

:headphne:

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yup I'd rather be a ENTP than a INTP, but its not really in my control. I don't have problem talking to people, being outgoing, doing stuff, etc......but it just feel draining and i end up just avoiding contact with people just to feel normal again.

So how do i avoid this pitfall?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
there are quite a few...people wanting to use Ne. but that will not make you more extroverted.

What does function theory say about extroversion then? I mean Xe has got to be related to extroversion in some way.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Being extraverted comes from the desire to be around and interact with people, and all the extraverted thinking processes that entails (hence why the extraverted functions get moved ahead of the introverted functions). To be extraverted, one has to have some level of profficiency with their extraverted functions, but more importantly, one has to desire the same focus that extraverts have. One has to be able to derive energy from wholesale interaction with people. It's really an extreme flip from introversion. Trying to ammend one's normal way of functioning can be dangerous when their extraverted functions are underdeveloped. They will find themselves unable to act with amuch profficiency or maturity, and will eventually find it favourable to rely on their predominant introverted functions. Dancing with the extraverted alignment is to completely change the way your mind processes things. It can be done, but keep in mind it takes most people over two or three decades to fully mature their dominant functions. Maturing your inferior functions is no easier.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Being extraverted comes from the desire to be around and interact with people, and all the extraverted thinking processes that entails (hence why the extraverted functions get moved ahead of the introverted functions). To be extraverted, one has to have some level of profficiency with their extraverted functions, but more importantly, one has to desire the same focus that extraverts have. One has to be able to derive energy from wholesale interaction with people. It's really an extreme flip from introversion. Trying to ammend one's normal way of functioning can be dangerous when their extraverted functions are underdeveloped. They will find themselves unable to act with amuch profficiency or maturity, and will eventually find it favourable to rely on their predominant introverted functions. Dancing with the extraverted alignment is to completely change the way your mind processes things. It can be done, but keep in mind it takes most people over two or three decades to fully mature their dominant functions. Maturing your inferior functions is no easier.

well, when you think not in terms of functions, but in terms of other things.
Such as what makes it easier to interact with a book than to interact with people? What fear inhibits you from speaking up your thoughts.
Is it self-consciousness or lack of confidence, or fear that other people will ridicule you. What makes online sopcial interaction much easier than real word interaction? People are not more muted, you always have freedom and power to speak.

Is it easier to interact with someone younger than you (like a 12 or 7 year old) than someone that passes 20 or same age as you? Do you think you are being judged?

Or is what you think is out of context with reality?

What happens when you go to a foreign country and start interacting with people whose language you completely cannot understand? Would you still be an introvert then?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
well, when you think not in terms of functions, but in terms of other things.
Such as what makes it easier to interact with a book than to interact with people? What fear inhibits you from speaking up your thoughts.
Is it self-consciousness or lack of confidence, or fear that other people will ridicule you. What makes online sopcial interaction much easier than real word interaction? People are not more muted, you always have freedom and power to speak.

Yes, it is because introverts aren't as adept with socializing and all the little nuances that must come with the interaction. It's something that must be learned and developed, like a skill. Extraverts develop and use this skill naturally. They are driven to do so. Intoverts find online interaction more appealing because it doesn't have such a high cognitive demand. It is much simpler than talking to people irl, because there are many other aspects to interacting with people that are absent online (body language, touching, actually DOING things, different forms of conversation) and would have a higher cognitive demand for one who is not proficient with it. It's like doing math. One who is not experienced with algebra will always find it to be long, difficult, and draining because they don't have the experience with doing algebra. Same goes for extroversion and social interaction. The more you use a muscle (extraversion), the stronger it becomes. We all tend to use/do what we're best at, which is introversion for introverts. The original causes for introversion are a whole nother topic.

Is it easier to interact with someone younger than you (like a 12 or 7 year old) than someone that passes 20 or same age as you? Do you think you are being judged?

Or is what you think is out of context with reality?

If one finds it easier to interact with younger people, it is sometimes because they themselves (their cognitive functions) are less mature, and are better balanced with others who have an equal level of maturity.

What happens when you go to a foreign country and start interacting with people whose language you completely cannot understand? Would you still be an introvert then?

If you DESIRE to be on your own most of the time and don't find it beneficial or easy to try talking to people, and don't sit at home constantly wishing you had someone you could talk to, then yes, you are introverted. It is the desire to shy away from social interaction that makes you introverted in the social sense. Again, they are just completely different ways of thinking, where one has a totally different set of desires, responses, and direction from the other. Keep in mind I'm trying to mostly stick with the social aspects of introversion and extraversion, and haven't gone far into the other cognitive aspects of it.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Yes, it is because introverts aren't as adept with socializing and all the little nuances that must come with the interaction. It's something that must be learned and developed, like a skill. Extraverts develop and use this skill naturally. They are driven to do so. Intoverts find online interaction more appealing because it doesn't have such a high cognitive demand. It is much simpler than talking to people irl, because there are many other aspects to interacting with people that are absent online (body language, touching, actually DOING things, different forms of conversation) and would have a higher cognitive demand for one who is not proficient with it. It's like doing math. One who is not experienced with algebra will always find it to be long, difficult, and draining because they don't have the experience with doing algebra. Same goes for extroversion and social interaction. The more you use a muscle (extraversion), the stronger it becomes. We all tend to use/do what we're best at, which is introversion for introverts. The original causes for introversion are a whole nother topic.

Well, I think it is the fear of rejection. When you are rejected in the real world, you have to cope with it. Whereas online, if people rejected you, you don't even know about it. The whole thing goes back to shame and senstivity.

Really does people have more freedom to speak online than in the real world?
What are the inhibitors?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well, I think it is the fear of rejection. When you are rejected in the real world, you have to cope with it. Whereas online, if people rejected you, you don't even know about it. The whole thing goes back to shame and senstivity.

Really does people have more freedom to speak online than in the real world?
What are the inhibitors?

Exactly. Online you don't have as many consequences for doing something stupid, so the fear of being rejected or embarrassing yourself is much less. IRL, introverts are more apprehensive because of that fear and the greater perceived consequences of doing something wrong. They don't have as much confidence in their abilities or experience using them (often for the reasons just outlined).

As for why online interaction differs from real life interaction, the reasons are many (including the above) and somewhat complicated. By and large, it's the perceived freedom to say whatever you want without large consequences.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
true.

There is one secret of being an extrovert. you can't hate what you think, otherwise you will always afraid yo speak up. As for rather people will like you or not, you can't really control this.

Introversion is mainly genetic and comes from childhood experiences. These can be conquered if you have the determination.

Trolling in real life is much more fun than trolling in the internet.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm just going to say as an introvert, I tend to have real difficulties talking to people if we're not talking about something substantial. If I want to talk someone but it isn't about something that requires fairly focused discussion, I find it really tiring to converse with that person, even if I want the contact.

So yeah, unless if there's humor in it or if it's something important, I would rather not talk at all than make small talk.

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
On the other hand, NTJs are pretty much in denial.

I am NOT in denial! :cheese:

Drink. Always works for me.

:D

I'm just going to say as an introvert, I tend to have real difficulties talking to people if we're not talking about something substantial. If I want to talk someone but it isn't about something that requires fairly focused discussion, I find it really tiring to converse with that person, even if I want the contact.

So yeah, unless if there's humor in it or if it's something important, I would rather not talk at all than make small talk.

Small talk takes a lot of effort on my part. I can do it... but if the other person also happens to be an introvert the conversation fizzles quickly. If you give me an Extrovert to try to do small talk with, I can keep up my end much easier. I think they just give me more to feed on.