User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Misty_Mountain_Rose View Post

Small talk takes a lot of effort on my part. I can do it... but if the other person also happens to be an introvert the conversation fizzles quickly. If you give me an Extrovert to try to do small talk with, I can keep up my end much easier. I think they just give me more to feed on.
    This is why I (and probably most introverts) could only date an extravert or an introvert with a fairly high E.

MBTI
    nnnn

I pushed myself and faked it till I made it (helped by general growing up). Practice makes perfect...it just becomes a part of you. It's just really nice to have people grow on you, to learn how to share with them and be part of a group, make a person happy by doing a little smalltalk (and learn to value it as a way to connect) and generally feel more at ease. I don't know in how far this scenario is doable for INTPs because it requires a ruthlessly pragmatic mindset (vs. INTP need for authenticity?).

I'll never be an E and that's just fine, but it's made my life significantly easier/more enjoyable and richer and that's what I was going for. I keep challenging myself - it used to be mainly E, now I feel like it's P.

It's much easier to feed/exercise those weaker functions in environments that are structured according to them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    I'm just going to say as an introvert, I tend to have real difficulties talking to people if we're not talking about something substantial. If I want to talk someone but it isn't about something that requires fairly focused discussion, I find it really tiring to converse with that person, even if I want the contact.

So yeah, unless if there's humor in it or if it's something important, I would rather not talk at all than make small talk.
    I used to do this, too.
    Sometimes I would just walk away in mid-conversation!

But soon I discovered that you can take "small talk" and push it in a more substantial direction. Most people have an analytical side, but they don't feel confident enough to use it. Engaging in small talk can help them feel more comfortable with you, and then it's easy to bring up a more interesting topic!

MBTI
    INTP

Lately I've just been in the habit of blurting out whatever it is I want to say to the other person, regardless of location.

I was on the train once to work and saw someone across from me reading this really skinny book (I'm near-sighted so couldn't see what it actually was). It took me a few moments to work up to it but eventually I got up, moved into the seat next to them and just asked, "Excuse me, what's that you're reading?" and, interestingly enough... it worked.

The best is when you're overhearing a nearby conversation about something you're familiar with and someone makes a mistake. It's so ridiculously easy to get into a conversation that way.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Wilson View Post
    Lately I've just been in the habit of blurting out whatever it is I want to say to the other person, regardless of location.
    Lately? NTPs do that all the time.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    Lately? NTPs do that all the time.
    I mean to complete strangers. I've rarely interacted with the outside world for quite a few years.

MBTI
    INTJ

The book thing is a good angle. Especially if you happen to disagree with the other person about the book, I think. Disagreement gets the INT conversational juices flowing much more readily than the superfluous affirmation of assent.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    The book thing is a good angle. Especially if you happen to disagree with the other person about the book, I think. Disagreement gets the INT conversational juices flowing much more readily than the superfluous affirmation of assent.
    Unfortunately it was for a Greek language course... unless I lied and went on about how I hate feta cheese or something.

I've already been told by one person I ended up speaking to on the train that they wanted to say something for months but I always looked so angry.

I really have no idea how to not look angry without looking like a loon.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

awww, that's sad... I always look like more of a goof than an angry little man. I agree with the self depreciation stuff, but some people (particularly those in higher spots on the hierarchy, like teachers) seem to want to hate you when you do something incredibly dumb and laugh it off... like they think they're better than you or something. One of those that has done that to me was probably ENTJ, she was an interesting chick
    5 3 9

Lasting_Pain

Never really wanted to be an ENTP. Nothing really special about them.