• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTPs and Routine

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
NTPs, how often do you fall into routines?

How often by your own choice?

What's the boundary between routine you like and routine you don't like?

(I'll try to sharpen the topic later.)

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
With new things or new places/experiences, I fall into routine initially as a way of getting my feet on the ground. From there I explore.

A routine I don't like is one I fall into when I'm bored. A routine I like is one that enables me to not become bored (i.e. offers opportunities)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Routine is routinely with me. The same as numbers go in sequence... which I find myself going through when my mind is relaxed.

I count how many times I stir a cup of tea. Know why? To avoid having to analyse how many times it should be stirred, the effects of stirring, the effects of gravity versus velocity on the dispersal of tea etc etc etc... oh and to make sure it's served before it's cold.

Without routine I think I'd just sit still and drool.....

....more often.

As for liking or disliking routines... I don't like imposed routine, it's most often boring, near sighted and without possibility for improvement until some fantasy figure way after I've gotten bored and wandered off. Routine I like is of course my routines. Because they're right.... obviously.

marmandahalf

I have routines for things that don't have any potential for interesting innovation, to get them out of the way so I can explore something that does.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
To my own amazement, I have learned that routines structure my day, especially since I quit smoking... I can even say that I like routines now, as opposed to when I was a teenager.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
With new things or new places/experiences, I fall into routine initially as a way of getting my feet on the ground. From there I explore.

A routine I don't like is one I fall into when I'm bored. A routine I like is one that enables me to not become bored (i.e. offers opportunities)

Second !

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I try pay attention when I lock the door every morning because I know if I don't I will later wonder if I locked the door. Then I won't be able to stock wondering about it.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
wait, what's the difference between a set of choices and a routine? The kind of attribution I make about it, right?

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I try pay attention when I lock the door every morning because I know if I don't I will later wonder if I locked the door. Then I won't be able to stock wondering about it.

+1 - and also make sure I pay attention when I turn the stove off. Also I put my iron in a specific place, so I know for a fact that I unplugged it.

Then there's the keys, wallet and phone check.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NTPs, how often do you fall into routines?

How often by your own choice?

What's the boundary between routine you like and routine you don't like?

(I'll try to sharpen the topic later.)

I have routines for pragmatic reasons (like: Get up at the same time, shower, blow-dry hair, put on clothes, put on make-up, eat breakfast, leave). If I flex the routine, I get way off course and end up being late to work. But i also find the routine tedious sometimes, I just get SO tired of doing it, consciously, and wish I could do something different.

I have other routines I like, such as getting my coffee right after I get to work and then reading e-mail.

I guess if the routines fits my interests or is self-expressive, that's cool. If the routine is purely practical, it gets old but I do it because I have to. If the routine is imposed, I'll get resentful and look for other ways.

yeah, there are things like that I do too (including taking medication).

I literally beat the experience into my head and pay attention, and I don't mix up the routine in the middle because I do not want to forget. And the routine does mean that, if I get to the end, then I did all the stuff in the middle too; in that sense it is helpful.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I fall into a routine, it is by my choice.

I'm a terrible natural routinist.

Although as stated before, psychologically, I do have certain routines specifically with new encounters. But those are all mental routines.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have routines for a while but then I need to change them.
Like for the last month I've left the house at 8.10, brought apple turnovers from sainbury's then arrived at school at 8.55.
Before I left at 8 and got donoughts from gregs every morning then got to school at 8.00.
Then before i got in late at 9 or 9.05 every morning without food.
I need to change it every month or two.

I make little changes to the walk home as well like going down a path slightly longer at times. Or running certain parts. I'm not sure why I do it but I do.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
My mornings are somewhat structured in the sense that they start the same way every day. I always wake up at a certain time that I set the night before (depends on how much work I've procrastinated that needs to be made up that mroning), and then head immediately for the shower. I do all the morning bathroom routines in a specific order also.

I then need at least 30-45 minutes of zoning out while listening to music, or my day feels horrible. I'm not quite sure why, I think it's because it helps me clear my head before I head out.

Aside from that, I have absolutely no routine.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
about the only routines I fall into easily are to do with sleep/wake times.

When I'm at home, I find it virtually impossible to get out of a routine that verges on the nocturnal - bed no earlier than 2 or 3am, quite often 4+, get up around midday. It frustrates the fuck outta me cos I know I'm sleeping away half my days and by the time I'm awake and have eaten and got my shit together, daylight's fading and everything's closing (in this one horse town lol).

However, take me anywhere else - staying at someone else's house, going on vacation, anything like that - and I seem to very quickly get into a routine of going to bed around 9pm, reading til 10 or 11, then getting up around 7am. And I always aim to keep that going when I get home, but two days in the front door back home and it's back to the nocturnal stuff.

A-J

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm terrible with routine imposed from outside (getting to work regularly for 9 am would be impossible for me).
I do have some self selected routines, but those tend to fall as often on the negative side (I browse blogs when I get up instead of immediately taking a shower etc) as on the positive (I always check my keys are in pocket before closing door).
Then again, I do have ADHD (professional diagnosis) :).