User Tag List

View Poll Results: What if your prefered argument outcome?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Be right

    29 70.73%
  • Have everyone else think you are right

    12 29.27%
First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 46

  1. #21
    Senior Member Typology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    epyT
    Enneagram
    ...
    Posts
    167

    Default

    Joey Naylor: ...so what happens when you're wrong?
    Nick Naylor: Whoa, Joey I'm never wrong.
    Joey Naylor: But you can't always be right...
    Nick Naylor: Well, if it's your job to be right, then you're never wrong.
    Joey Naylor: But what if you are wrong?
    Nick Naylor: OK, let's say that you're defending chocolate, and I'm defending vanilla. Now if I were to say to you: 'Vanilla is the best flavour ice-cream', you'd say...
    Joey Naylor: No, chocolate is.
    Nick Naylor: Exactly, but you can't win that argument... so, I'll ask you: so you think chocolate is the end all and the all of ice-cream, do you?
    Joey Naylor: It's the best ice-cream, I wouldn't order any other.
    Nick Naylor: Oh! So it's all chocolate for you is it?
    Joey Naylor: Yes, chocolate is all I need.
    Nick Naylor: Well, I need more than chocolate, and for that matter I need more than vanilla. I believe that we need freedom. And choice when it comes to our ice-cream, and that Joey Naylor, that is the defintion of liberty.
    Joey Naylor: But that's not what we're talking about
    Nick Naylor: Ah! But that's what I'm talking about.
    Joey Naylor: ...but you didn't prove that vanilla was the best...
    Nick Naylor: I didn't have to. I proved that you're wrong, and if you're wrong I'm right.
    Joey Naylor: But you still didn't convince me
    Nick Naylor: It's that I'm not after you. I'm after them.
    [points into the crowd]
    That is, if we're taking the traditional defintion of argument here.
    Only after disaster can we be resurrected.

  2. #22
    Systematic chaos Cenomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    623

    Default

    I'm really surprised at how many people picked option #2.

    Anyone who did, could you please explain why?
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

    P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

    P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......


    Eh, I'll finish it later.

  3. #23
    Senior Member htb's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Posts
    1,506

    Default

    If you're not right, the first person who knows the score will point it out to you.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INxJ
    Posts
    3,917

    Default

    I'd want the person to walk away more knowledgeable, unless I was really wrong. Which I can admit to. Thus, I walk away more informed. I prefer clarity and closure, in an honest and direct way.

  5. #25
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,670

    Default

    As a strategic person I will say: That completly depends on the context of some situation.



    I prefer to be direct and blunt, but sometimes you just heve to distort things. So that in the end you will be able to guide person towards facts. Sometimes things are too counter-intuitive/complex for direct approach.

  6. #26
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenomite View Post
    I would rather be right. Winning arguments even if I'm wrong gives me no satisfaction.
    Not in my case. If everybody thinks I'm right, and only I know I'm wrong, that's a huge victory, which shows great persuasion skills and charisma. I don't do this often though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cenomite View Post
    The second option means that you know you are wrong, but through tact have made the other party and your audience think you won.
    If they think that I speak the truth and agree with me, I won. 'Truth' doesn't really matter in this case.

  7. #27
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I don't care about winning an argument as much as getting things clarified and understood. Probably a J thing.
    No, it's not.
    Not in the least.

    And if you're going to go there:
    I think J's are more inclined to take the Procrustean route, honestly.
    P's remain open because they want to be right if a better answer appears.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #28
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Neither for me.

    It's not about being right or others thinking I'm right.
    I don't give a shit.
    I just want to spark a discussion.
    To stir the pot.
    To get people thinking.
    Seeking what is true is what I'm about.
    Being "right" sounds dictatorial.
    That's bullcrap.
    Well said.
    I find it irritating when people (self-included) have a cloud of not-reasoned-through yet comforting convictions - particularly when they claim some moral high-ground on that basis. The best outcome is to strip through it, jettison the bull, and save what's good.

  9. #29
    Senior Member Qre:us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    4,909

    Default

    have everyone else think you are right, cuz you ARE right.

    * not only are you good at understanding the truth, you understand it to the degree where you make it transparent to others. With a dash of debating skills for persuasion...meaning efficiency in mode of transfer. Hot dayum!

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    No, it's not.
    Not in the least.

    And if you're going to go there:
    I think J's are more inclined to take the Procrustean route, honestly.
    P's remain open because they want to be right if a better answer appears.
    Well thank you for the clarification. My statement was based on the oft-observed snideness from Ps regarding Js exacting nature. I definitely do prefer precision over sloppiness (thus the comment about wanting things "clarified and understood"), so if that's "procrustean" then I will happily accept the label.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] NT Women Dating Preferences
    By obzen210 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-21-2016, 11:09 AM
  2. NF and NT singles: Which Type of Partner do you Prefer?
    By Franz in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-30-2010, 09:33 PM
  3. [NT] NT preference for semantic-based arguments
    By foolish heart in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-30-2010, 10:10 PM
  4. [NT] NT's, arguments and attitude to other NT's in debate
    By slowriot in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 12:18 PM
  5. [NT] Music preferances for NT's in general
    By Katsuni in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 10-14-2009, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO