half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default Single ENTPs

I was thinking the past few days about how nice relationships sound in theory, but I can't reconcile it with my compulsive need for freedom. Are there any single ENTPs that regret being single? Are there partnered ones that have regrets about being in a couple? I'm just trying to figure out if happy long term relationships for this type can really happen or if I'm just kidding myself...
    Likes GavinElster liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ

Get yourself a girl so you could settle down!

Sure, mom, I settle down with a nice girl every night, then I'm free the next morning.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm a girl and am interested in men... But I'll take your idea to heart.

MBTI
    ENTP

Being in a relationship does not necessarily rule out freedom. I've been married for many years and I think there is a different kind of freedom in that.

See my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Fiver is correct, it is freeing to not have to impress someone, to be accepted for who you really are.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 sx/sp

One ENTP I'm pretty close to is in a relationship she says she's happy in.
    It's exclusive but they don't see each other that often and have their own lives.

And the man is 20 years older, for some reason my friend believes that the age gap makes the relationship sustainable.
    Close your eyes, clear your heart,
    Cut the cord.
    - The Killers

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I know that marriages have compromise and offer a different kind of freedom, but I mean it in the most literal sense. To come and go as you please while answering to no one.

20 years older? I can see how that could work if I was younger, but I don't think I could date with such a huge gap now. I'm not sure I would be able to date a man in his 50s.

Oh well, I guess it is what it is. I don't expect anything more out of life than what I already have anyway.

I wonder sometimes if I will end up old and alone. Where that used to have a negative connotation to it, it just doesn't anymore. Alone is okay! I can be happy and alone. I think I've spent so many years of my life trying to fit with my families ideals, societies ideals, and my own jaded ideals. Some people just think there must be something wrong with you if you are past a certain age and haven't settled down with one person. I feel as if I battled my own self for so incredibly long that I never really got a chance to see who that really is! It's a great thing to realize, actually.

I see it like this... that I am a highly unique individual. I'm special, great, amazing in my own right. Not just anyone will do. Someone has to be absolutely as stellar as I am if I'm going to even think of being in a long term relationship, or even, marry him. That can take time. OR it might never happen if I spend so much time looking for some specific that I don't see the big picture. So, instead of spending all of my time looking, I will just take comfort in who I am and live life as fully as I can. I've really met some amazing guys along the way but I just don't look at it with regret for not having settled down with any of them. Obviously, if it were meant to be, it would have been. I won't look for love, but I will welcome it if it comes along. I am, quite honestly, all I ever need! But who knows.. maybe I will be one of the ones lucky enough to find my better half

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by RuffledINTP View Post
    I see it like this... that I am a highly unique individual. I'm special, great, amazing in my own right. Not just anyone will do. Someone has to be absolutely as stellar as I am if I'm going to even think of being in a long term relationship, or even, marry him. That can take time. OR it might never happen if I spend so much time looking for some specific that I don't see the big picture. So, instead of spending all of my time looking, I will just take comfort in who I am and live life as fully as I can. I've really met some amazing guys along the way but I just don't look at it with regret for not having settled down with any of them. Obviously, if it were meant to be, it would have been. I won't look for love, but I will welcome it if it comes along. I am, quite honestly, all I ever need! But who knows.. maybe I will be one of the ones lucky enough to find my better half
    I'm the exact same way. I work in a city that is overflowing with young professionals who have had it hammered into their head that the key to life is to seek any form of companionship at any turn. It's not uncommon to hear of women getting very aggressive towards men in bars who won't acknowledge their flirting. I just can't get my brain wrapped around such an obsessive need for companionship; be it instant gratification or some loveless long-term "business deal" just so your peers don't look at you like some kind of outcast.

But then again, all of the women I've ever had serious crushes on in my life were characters in books, so that very much creates near-impossible-to-attain standards since if people like that really existed I probably wouldn't read so much.

(takes his INTPness elsewhere)
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I feel ya. I've always known that I would always be single and I am ok with it. Actually, more than ok with it.

But hearing about all these supposed great relationships are making me wonder what it's like, so I'm just curious if it's even possible to be satisfied and happy with another person... at least as much as I am happy being alone.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Jen, I just went shopping. THAT I can be in a long term relationship with. Shoes? Body Shop? Mac? Tristan? Heck yes.

But people? I'm not sure. I'm not even sure why guys would want to date me. Yes, when I'm truly into someone I will do my best to give them everything, but I still need my independence. Their trust is a crucial part of this scenario as well. Why would someone want to be in a relationship with another person who desired more autonomy? And then if you are lucky, you end up with guy who wants to "tame you" or "make an honest woman out of you." Yuck.

But yeah, shoes are awesome. Let's go shopping.
    "Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski