• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP "charm."

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
How To Be Charming - A Guide For INTPs:

1. Don't try to be charming. Do, or do not. There is no 'try.'
2. Use Ne. Say whatever random connection or idea pops into your head, no matter how ridiculous.
3. Utilise the "yes and" principle. Accept the information a person gives you, and add more. This keeps conversations going. Conversely, not adding more is an easy way to end conversations.
4. Actually like other people. I know, this will likely be difficult, but practice makes perfect.
5. Don't be afraid to look ridiculous, incompetent, stupid, irrational, or whatever. Embrace your inner arrogance.
6. Remember your goal is not to amuse yourself, but to amuse others.
7. Mix it up. When you find something that works, keep using it, but also keep trying other stuff until you find another thing that works, then switch to that. This way your act never gets stale.
8. Use your abilities as support, but only as support. Your intelligence, logical reasoning abilities, knowledge, intuition, etc. allows you carve out a unique and useful niche, but remember don't let yourself get subsumed in that. If you wanna be charming, that stuff has gotta take a back seat.
9. If you get called an ENTP, you know that it's working.
10. l2wit.
11. Change your name to Costrin.
12. Don't just take my word for it, try it yourself!

Costrin! thats exactly what i did when i became an eNTP! Lets face it for an INTP to become more charming you have to either become more ENTP or get the sympathy vote - though the latter does work quite well at times.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
then it is no longer a theory and thus not interesting
(of course we can be charming too, but not as a behavioural standard modus)

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Costrin! thats exactly what i did when i became an eNTP! Lets face it for an INTP to become more charming you have to either become more ENTP or get the sympathy vote - though the latter does work quite well at times.

Nah, we can still maintain our introversion. Just be selective about how we apply our charm to.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think most INTP charm occurs when we think of a witty observation to make. Once you think of something funny enough, it takes almost no social skill just to say it.

When I'm with a group of people that I have nothing in common with, it's basically all I got.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I find any attempts to be funny tend to fall flat, or at best summon a groan, yet people crack up at the most random things that I say.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Well, there are three things actually.

1. The INTP giggle. You gotta love that. Especially when you giggle at something in your head. That always cracks me up, it’s just so random.
2. The INTP walk. Walk is probably a bit too excessive, stroll is a better word. The INTP stroll. I catch my INTP bf strolling to work, even though he’s late!
3. The INTP bewilderment. “Where did I put the glass? I know I put it down somewhere… now, where did it go?” Takes a second lap around the apartment. “I was right here. What was I doing? Damn, I’m thirsty! Gonna get me a glass of water. Now where is my glass? ”

You guys brighten my day.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
Well, there are three things actually.

1. The INTP giggle. You gotta love that. Especially when you giggle at something in your head. That always cracks me up, it’s just so random.
2. The INTP walk. Walk is probably a bit too excessive, stroll is a better word. The INTP stroll. I catch my INTP bf strolling to work, even though he’s late!
3. The INTP bewilderment. “Where did I put the glass? I know I put it down somewhere… now, where did it go?” Takes a second lap around the apartment. “I was right here. What was I doing? Damn, I’m thirsty! Gonna get me a glass of water. Now where is my glass? ”

You guys brighten my day.

I plead guilty to all three. Just don't really get the difference between 2 and 3. I recognize it, but it remains hard to see when strolling becomes bewilderment... :)

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
meh, beats doing homework...

8. Use your abilities as support, but only as support. Your intelligence, logical reasoning abilities, knowledge, intuition, etc. allows you carve out a unique and useful niche, but remember don't let yourself get subsumed in that. If you wanna be charming, that stuff has gotta take a back seat.

gah, thats so highschool, so entp, so socially conscious.
give me the strange/mysterious/creepy/or i know its a stretch but night avenger (please?) title any day. lol.

hmm, i suppose i flip flop between costrins list and letting my freak flag fly at full middle height. (dont want to be put in a mental asylum... dont want to find out ill fit in better there, either)

lol @ costrins intp charm guide: try pretending your an entp. or embrace your NeFe rather. you've done well to describe my NeFe phases. whats the escape plan when you've run out of E energy? pretend your too sick to leave the house?

why would i want to make self less of an individual? i like intp more than entp anyway... that and pissing people off by breaking social norms.

13. be your natural insensitive high-standard self, people will strive/want to get on your good side.
14. study the behaviour patterns of a flock of sheep and apply to real life. Be this first to eat from untouched grass and the others will follow
15. pretend your a parrot and soon you'll be having long and meaningful conversations with SJs.
16. you're funny. be funny you funny bastard.
17. if you cant initiate a conversation open your body language and people will ambush you. but be prepared otherwise this could just be a self set trap.
18. dont be bitter like me
19. if youre like me and get impulses to occasioanlly shout out a random/funny/inappropriate but true things, go with it, it's hilarious
20. let your contempt for authority out. people will think your cool
21. if pretending to be an extravert is to tiring, just try pretending to be an SP. then later everyone can sign your cast
22. if your experience an stimualtion overload and cant come up with anything clever to say, just say something random, people will get confused and assume that its meaning is over their heads.
23. dont wear your role play costumes outside
24. do something stupid like wear a box as a hat. you'll make a social spalsh without saying a word
25. take a drama class
26. LEARN HOW TO LIE, you dont want people knowing your intp after all...

I love the hell out of you crazy weird bastards. I have one cousin who is INTP and he's my favorite person in the world. He's actually a bit more extroverted due to age and life's circumstances, and he's got creativity seeping out of every pore. We're probably the only people that can keep up with each other. Ideas fly and bounce all over the place when we are together. He shuts my hair brained schemes down with a quickness, detailing exactly how I will fail, but with such a fierceness and intensity that all I can do is laugh laugh laugh. He's got charm for days.

my entp friend has moments of profound confusion when people call me quiet/shy. she says im the/a crazy ring leader of the group. our relationship is freakishly similar to yours. my mind is creative too, and i think you're onto something there that i concur with, jenocyde. creativity is all about expression. i also think humour comes from the right side of the brain.

I love the hell out of you crazy weird bastards.
:wubbie: best compliment ever

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I plead guilty to all three. Just don't really get the difference between 2 and 3. I recognize it, but it remains hard to see when strolling becomes bewilderment... :)

Hey, I’m with you! I don’t know how you guys do it either.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Nah, we can still maintain our introversion. Just be selective about how we apply our charm to.

Maintain? It's biological. Anyone who is confused about E or I must be a very confused person.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
How to improve your charm:

Lie, bluff, exxagerate. make people believe what you say.
A good lier is always a good charmer.

Always practice public speaking, speak in front of large audiences without using any notes and reminders. Make random bullshit up as you go.

Be blunt, challenge stupid people's opinions.

Have courage, say things that people not dare to speak. Speak with force and aggression, and pound on the truth if you know you are right.

practice good body poisture, walk and stand upright.

Look up words in the dictionary that reflects on your personality. practice using these words everyday in your talk and stuff.

Write down your thoughts everyday, then find an opportunity to speak them out to people iimmediately the next day.

Be nice to people you hate. If you can't do it, at least fake it.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How To Be Charming - A Guide For INTPs
3. Utilise the "yes and" principle. Accept the information a person gives you, and add more. This keeps conversations going. Conversely, not adding more is an easy way to end conversations.
I lolled and lettuce came out of my mouth. It was quite charming.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Actually, Charisma can't really be taught. You either born with it or you don't have it.
Its like this force of character inside you.

But I know salesmanship and lying to strangers definitely can improve your charisma.
Becuase it really takes courage to lie to someone you don't know.

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
INTP charm.

Isn't that an oxymoron?

An ENTJ questioning an INTP's appeal is like Bill Gates questioning Einstein's charisma.

That's irony plus oxymoron right there.

And, advice to the person who created the thread.
The 1st post should have come with a punchline. It would have an achieved the needed effect.

Anyway, if you're an INTP that's close to Bluewing in reality, or you ever communicate like that in real life, you're kinda screwed.

Jennifer mode, however, gives you better chances.

An INTP's basic training ground for charisma (jacked up Ne), are female NFs. Testing charisma on male NTs is gay.

Best leverage for establishing ties are affinity to mediums that have an overlapping to both NFs and NTs (Neil Gaiman stuff, Star Wars, LOTR, etc.)

Establish ties through that, then go to flirt mode (Ne style). Then gather up NFs and flirt with as many of them as you can, and be confident enough that with this leverage, you have enough communication skills to hold your own with a bunch of extroverted sensor feelers.

If you're able to last interacting with them SFs in a day without making yourself look out of place, you're doing good.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyway, if you're an INTP that's close to Bluewing in reality, or you ever communicate like that in real life, you're kinda screwed.

Since when are INTPs like ISTJs????

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
The problem with trying to be charmful as a INTP is you don't know if its working or not. Its awkward and definately out of character and people will see right thru you. Of course you could just not care. You fall flat enough times you'll eventually catch on. I think perfecting the art of small talk and being social will help before practicing being charmful.

I know a guy at my work who try so hard to initiate a conversation (he's our superviasor and everyone hates him, not to mention he has almost zero social skill) with people and its just feel awkward whenever he jumps in peoples conversation and tries to be friendly. And when he jokes at you, you kind have that deer in the headlight look, cause you don't know wheather he's serious or not. I'm guessing he's a INTJ or ENTJ.

And I agree that charisma can't be taught, its definately a inborn trait.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd be surprised if most of us have any interest in being charming. I've never tried to charm anyone in my life. But I've been told I am charming more than once. Of course I've also been told I'm a total bitch. Opinions are just that.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd be surprised if most of us have any interest in being charming. I've never tried to charm anyone in my life. But I've been told I am charming more than once. Of course I've also been told I'm a total bitch. Opinions are just that.
Maybe you're just a charming bitch!