User Tag List

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: NTs, just plain rude?

Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    I am an INTP and I have been called rude, many times, and inconsiderate of feelings, but only from people that I actually care about, I say things BECAUSE i care about them, because I want them to understand the Truth, as opposed to the people I dont give a crap about, who I don't talk to at all, let alone give criticism to, but of course because of their personality they dont understand, but i still love em.
    I like how he capitalized the T in truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    lol .. I spotted that one immediately. That's why i referred to his Truth with a capital and the truth which a little t.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    That's the thing tho, isn't it? What's funny to an NT is perhaps offensive to someone else. We are quite hard to offend. Sometimes, even if I do find something hurtful/offensive, I'll reason myself out of it. I'll conclude that I've no right to feel that way. But most people won't. They always believe their feelings are entirely valid.

It seems to me that "rudeness" is a pretty subjective thing. The things I find rude (e.g. asking too many personal questions, invading my personal space, expecting me to participate in meaningless social rituals, judging my lifestyle, asking stupid questions rather than doing a bit of research) might be considered normal or inoffensive by the prevailing majority so I just have to put up with it.

The things I do that others might consider rude (stuff like being late, forgetting appointments and anniversaries, zoning out, forgetting to return a phone call, sarcastic humour, honest criticism, not smiling or engaging in mundane pleasantries) either don't bother me, or actually appeal when I encounter them in others. Why should I embrace someone else's values about what is acceptable and what isn't?
    I don't think we're oblivious to the tone so much as oblivious as to the effect. In order to be aware of that effect you have to be able to empathise. But if what you are saying wouldn't cause you offense if someone said it to you, then empathy doesn't really work. Instead you have to learn a whole set of rules about how other people's minds work. It's like being mildly autistic.

Sometimes frustration and impatience emerge as rudeness/intolerance. We are known for not suffering fools gladly.

(c) is interesting. I hadn't thought of it as being a strategy for dominance. I like to shock (and be shocked, within reason) because I like novelty and hate cliche. Shock tactics can make you think about something in a new way, and I always welcome that. A lot of people don't though.
    amen to that.

Moved some posts here.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Senior Member Array therationaledge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    Haha. The reason is just that I hold truth in high regard, thus capitilizing it, not like I'm the Holder Of Truth or anything like that.