5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    A recent conversation with my ESFP sister:

Me: [stubbed my toe] Goddammit!
    Her: You shouldn't say that...
    Me: Why not?
    Her: Because you just shouldn't.
    Me: You haven't given me a reason.
    Her: Just don't. You don't know what will happen.
    Me: What do you mean "what will happen?" Do you mean to say that something bad will happen to me if I say it? That God will punish me?
    Her: I'm just saying that you don't know in what ways God may be protecting you. So don't say it.
    Me: So God will punish me by ceasing to protect me if I say "goddammit?"
    Her: No, not punishing, just removing protection. God doesn't punish people like that.
    Me: But that *is* a form of punishment. Do not parents often punish their children by removing their privileges?
    Her: I know what you're doing. You just want to be rebellious. What have you ever suffered at the hands of Christians to make you so bitter?
    Me: Huh? What does that have to do with the conversation?
    Her: Because you just think that you're so smart and that you know everything. You don't know everything, so you shouldn't take risks by taking His name in vain. You're just being a pseudo-intellectual.
    Me: I quit.
    Her: That's because you have no point [insert exasperated half-laugh].

I don't think that this is necessarily typical of all Feelers, but it's what annoys me most about the ones that I've encountered. Also the constant vigilance that you need to practice in order not to hurt their feelings is annoying. Even with the healthy ones, their powers of interpretation tend to work on overdrive when it comes to discerning whether or not something said or done was meant as a personal insult.
    LOL. I've so had that conversation!
    Although the SF exasperation usually ends up in tears in my case. And I'm like WTF just happened here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Ah he caught the bait. Sweet
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    Provisionally ignoring the total irrelevance of your personal opinion on the state of psychology, it's worth pointing out that whether or not psychology has an "atomic" or "subatomic" model of the brain is an extremely poor gauge of that state.
    ow, do you mean that the brain and the rest of the universe are in another realm and that physical laws don't apply to it because it's 'too complicated'?
    Meet Descartes, you two should be great buddies.
    I'd like to point out that this flavor or (bad) logics is basically the main argument of young earth creationists, that the metaphysical and the physical are just on other planes, and that while the metaphysical God is supposed to have created and rule\influence the universe it's irrelevant to use our empirical science to judge statements on said deity.

Details aside, if your intent was to suggest that psychology can't be a science because it does not have a complete model, then not a single one of our so-called sciences is a science either. And we certainly don't need a complete theory of the brain to call a bogus psychometric "bogus" -- typology fails on its own merits.
    Well of course, science is never exact, I merely stated that most of psychology's methodology is just too culturaly relative to satisfy our own standards.
    Ultimately, by the way, you do need a complete theory of the brain, and by our own 21st century standarts anything else is bound to be unsatisfying. We wouldn't be researching the brain and neural networks if we were satisfied by our current models, they are forced upon us and often lead to or come from quasi mystical ideas and our tendency to categorize the world into categories of things when we obviously lack knowledge to make such statements.
    We label the unknown on a scale going from general concepts and mental objects to notions of a creator god.

Do you ask someone to justify his reasoning when he says the sky is not pink? No. It's easily settled by direct observation.
    Actually I would, and do.

And I did mention the word empirical, which implies I don't believe any science can be exact or based on some kind of truth.
    And I never openly supported typology, so i don't even see why u'd bring it up.

Ur just defending yourself by getting all legal on me,
    been there, done that.

What you're doing is like reading a legal document and saying 'this is a legal document', then considering you just won the case or something.

You're being all passive aggressive on everybody, then state u don't like passive aggressive people (on another thread).
    If 'attacked' you just throw legal talk on people.
    It's just that I haven't seen you expressing any opinion in a way that could leave you open to any sort of criticism, ever.

It's like poking a turtle that confuses its shell with the universe
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't believe you read my post carefully. Please try again, and then write a coherent response.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

I don't believe you read my post carefully. Please try again, and then write a coherent response.
    I did leave openings in what I said so U'd take a risk and actually argue, but you didn't.
    Thanks for confirming what I just said.

been a pleasure.

Turtle!
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    eNTP

They're worth being around because they're really fun. But really, long conversations with them can be a bit much. They don't often talk about interesting things. Well, no, there are exceptions. I can get very into a conversation with an ISFP, for instance, even though they usually don't know what they're talking about.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments. He concluded that There is more than one way of doing good science.
    It was Watsons form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA. It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

Enneagram
    9w8

I think diagramming people based on what you think they are (type-wise) generally doesn't lend well to actual interaction.

As for the people we're speaking of, my thoughts are the same as with all others: as long as they are not a nitwit, self-centered or purposefully ignorant, I try to meet them halfway... and if they don't do the same it can't work. It doesn't really matter if they are a F or T on the scale we sometimes use too much.

However, people more focussed on feeling do tend to remind me that it's okay to be emotive and experience that a bit more often, which is pleasant. I try to remind them that sometimes, thoughtful action is really necessary to complete the experience of life, and wallowing in any negative emotion simply burns further and further into one's soul.

MBTI
    ENtJ
    Enneagram
    8w4
    Socionics
    ENTj

Most of my really good friends are F types. Maybe even all of them. :/
    I like Fs because they're more spontaneous in a way. Also, although my emotions are mild and I rationalize them often, I find F's free emotions to be contagious. When one of my F friends get excited or melancholy, it brings out the emotional side in me too, and I consider that an interesting part of life.
    While I like F emotional moments occasionally, I don't like it when they're too sappy or emotionally philosophical. I also don't like how many of my F friends have highs and lows where their self-confidence fluctuates. It bothers me to have to reassure them all the time.
    However, I lean very heavily towards my F side. The only time I've actually tested T, it was only by 1%, even though there's no doubt that I'm ENTJ. That may be why I get along with them so well.
    "Yet, the right act
    Is less, far less, than the right-thinking mind.
    Seek refuge in thy soul; have there thy heaven!"

MBTI
    ENTP

I tend to get along well with F's assuming they're guys. Girl F's though?

**runs far far away**

I think it's because guys my age, regardless of type, tend to be less inclined to share their feelings, which works out just fine for me. I tolerate their very mild Fness and they tolerate my random theoretical tangents. One of my best friends for example, is an ENFP, and we both like shaking things up, value uniqueness, and enjoy discussion. When he does bring up his feelings he does it in a way that let's me respond with thought instead of with feelings of my own.

Eg.

Him: I feel awkward around those people.

Me: I wonder if awkwardness serves some sort of evolutionary purpose?

NF girls are generally far too extroverted-feeling for me though, I have trouble with group mentalities, community values, and generally trusting NF's conclusions. ENFJ girls I've been friends with tend to get frustrated or find me boring when I respond to their feelings with thoughts. Most of the time we both end up very tired of each other.

They also seem to be more spiritual? Something I have a huge problem trying to accept let alone relate too.

My mom's an NF and she get's upset a lot because whenever I try to discuss an idea with her, or debate, she believes I'm angry with her, or attacking her when really some part of the conversation has caught my interest and I want to explore it.
    Sleep late for a better tomorrow.

Extraverted - 58%
    INtuitive - 73%
    Thinking - 71%
    Perceiving - 66%

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I find Feelers to be extremely interesting. They're emotional investment in their lives and the expression there of is both refreshing and strange. I tend to keep my emotions in check, but most things don't stimulate a response.

my only problem with F-types is that I can hurt their feelings quite easily and not be aware of it. but, that's my problem, not theirs.

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I like feelers. They take me to a place I don't usually venture. Always an exciting phenomenon.
    Embrace the possibilities.