User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 119

  1. #41
    Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,123

    Default

    I have mixed feelings about F's, probably because no one is the same, they're all different.

    Some of them I can have a great time with, like my sisters for instance. There are some though that I seem to constantly clash with, but I'm not sure if its 'F' related or just 'asshole' related.

    I do find though that the people I do clash with (there aren't many, I'm pretty easy going) are most often F's and not T's.
    Embrace the possibilities.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    well of course, behavioristic reinforcement is partially linked with the pleasure centers, and pleasure is rooted in things that help us survive, so, in general terms eating, having sex and problem solving.
    When i say problem solving I mean whatever gives us the means to get ressources (as evolution is all about differencial access to ressources).

    But then metacognition comes in, and we draw pleasure from concepts. This ability to conceptualise is directly related to our success as a species (let's not get into defining success ).

    where was i?
    Yeah so anyway, it then all depends on how horizontal or vertical your prefered neural\information pathways are. [right\left cortex chatter via corpus callosum in relation to each brain's vertical cortex\limbic ]
    I'm simplifying as always, it's about ratios and the order of passage of informations etc...but I lack information and I'm too lazy to go on
    Psych nerds ftw. We should be friends.

  3. #43
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmandahalf View Post
    Psych nerds ftw. We should be friends.
    I'm not a psychology nerd, or a nerd at all.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  4. #44
    Lasting_Pain
    Guest

    Default

    They are so fluffy and cute. If you poke them, emotional goo comes out. I keep a few in my closet for comic relief.

  5. #45
    Systematic chaos Cenomite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    623

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    A recent conversation with my ESFP sister:

    Me: [stubbed my toe] Goddammit!
    Her: You shouldn't say that...
    Me: Why not?
    Her: Because you just shouldn't.
    Me: You haven't given me a reason.
    Her: Just don't. You don't know what will happen.
    Me: What do you mean "what will happen?" Do you mean to say that something bad will happen to me if I say it? That God will punish me?
    Her: I'm just saying that you don't know in what ways God may be protecting you. So don't say it.
    Me: So God will punish me by ceasing to protect me if I say "goddammit?"
    Her: No, not punishing, just removing protection. God doesn't punish people like that.
    Me: But that *is* a form of punishment. Do not parents often punish their children by removing their privileges?
    Her: I know what you're doing. You just want to be rebellious. What have you ever suffered at the hands of Christians to make you so bitter?
    Me: Huh? What does that have to do with the conversation?
    Her: Because you just think that you're so smart and that you know everything. You don't know everything, so you shouldn't take risks by taking His name in vain. You're just being a pseudo-intellectual.
    Me: I quit.
    Her: That's because you have no point [insert exasperated half-laugh].

    I don't think that this is necessarily typical of all Feelers, but it's what annoys me most about the ones that I've encountered. Also the constant vigilance that you need to practice in order not to hurt their feelings is annoying. Even with the healthy ones, their powers of interpretation tend to work on overdrive when it comes to discerning whether or not something said or done was meant as a personal insult.
    I can REALLY relate to this, I've had many conversations that went exactly like it.

    The ending of that conversation inparticular is familiar to me. I always say "I'm done" or something like that because the conversation is stupid, and they take it as a sign of victory and keep doing what they're doing.

    I also hate having to practice emotional vigilance to make sure I don't hurt them. I have to do this with pretty much every obviously-F friend I have. I've gotten the silent treatment thrown at me for things I didn't even know I did / didn't mean to do, or other random passive-aggressive acts.

    I usually can't fully be myself around big F types, because they end up taking my brand of humor personally and get hurt.

    I have one friend that I actually need to emotionally-baby in social gatherings, or he gets depressed on me for a week after (ie: making sure I throw some comments directly to him, not being too harsh with joking around with him like I am with my other friends, keep him included, etc).
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

    P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

    P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......


    Eh, I'll finish it later.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Aleph-One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I'm not a psychology nerd, or a nerd at all.
    My guess is that there are as many reputable psychologists in this forum as there are reputable biologists in a young-earth creationist forum.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    My guess is that there are as many reputable psychologists in this forum as there are reputable biologists in a young-earth creationist forum.
    I'll be a reputable psychologist...eventually...*sniff*

  8. #48
    Senior Member Galusha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7?
    Posts
    204

    Default

    from "why do NFs think they understand NTs?" in the NF forum:
    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I guess the theory is that since NTs are emotionally handicapped, NFs are able to empathize and understand our feelings better than we can understand them ourselves.
    what's not to hate? thinking we're emotionally crippled for having some restraint or the superior, "you poor thing, you just can't understand" attitude?

    though once they get over these, I really don't have much of a problem with them. that's not true. but I can deal with it without getting too irritated to finish a conversation.

    seeing them use logic is like watching a cat playing with legos. that's always fun. especially if they build something out of it.

  9. #49
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    My guess is that there are as many reputable psychologists in this forum as there are reputable biologists in a young-earth creationist forum.
    Yup, that's for sure. but then again define a good psychologist, psychology's "hardly a hard science" if it's not mixed together with biology\physics.

    Interpretation of empirical results based on highly socialy relative data isn't really science enough to be (post)modern science.

    So yeah we can observe behavior, but then it's not psych-ology, it's behavior-ism\ology.

    Then we can observe the brain and link it to behaviors but that's not really what psychology does most of the time.
    We can hardly, at the present time, point to a physical data patern in the brain and say 'that's the general concept of apple, and it can link itself to this that and that other process in this, that and that way'.

    For now on, we don't have enough data. So psychology's a broken science, using very incomplete data and saving too much computations, rounding up the maths too much to be called exact or even acceptable.
    At the present time we're far, far, far from having the computation power to simulate a human brain or even more than a few neurons at the atomic and subatomic scale.
    We do not have the knowledge to model a brain either.


    But at the moment what I notice is that you, Aleph, tend to comment negatively on things without ever giving even one word that could make one think you're actually in a position to pass judgement on others, that you do have an understanding of things and do not confuse bookish knowledge with actual knowledge. Everybody can be a parrot, but parrots never changed the world, well, except they've made pirate movies really cool.


    I mean, when I comment, I rarely say everything that's on my mind, with all the details, because it would just be too long and i'm a geniunely lazy person. In fact I don't really give a damn about most people here because I do not consider this forum to be enough of a real place for me to really implicate myself.
    Then there's the fact that in alot of fields I just lack data and cannot hope to construct a working model+ That I too consider most of the talks here to be simply idiotic and not worth wasting my time explaining things, but I do not barge in and call them stupid either. If I'm too lazy to get into a conversation then I also have to accept giving up the pleasure of crushing people's egos.

    So, please, give us your opinion or i'll end up believing you're one more bore confusing social displays of pseudo intellectual superiority with actual intellectual or\and personnal worth.

    Go on, don't be shy
    btw, i did like ur joke (and doctor who), don't take me wrong.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  10. #50
    Senior Member Aleph-One's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Provisionally ignoring the total irrelevance of your personal opinion on the state of psychology, it's worth pointing out that whether or not psychology has an "atomic" or "subatomic" model of the brain is an extremely poor gauge of that state. The processes of the brain are a thousand times too large and ten orders of magnitude too slow to be modeled by that kind of physics. I wonder why you would bring it up, since it is not merely an irrelevant requirement, but an unachievable one as well.

    Details aside, if your intent was to suggest that psychology can't be a science because it does not have a complete model, then not a single one of our so-called sciences is a science either. And we certainly don't need a complete theory of the brain to call a bogus psychometric "bogus" -- typology fails on its own merits.

    I am not, in any case, going to run through the reasons that I think this, there are already several posts in this forum and papers elsewhere which are readily available, and it isn't a good use of my time to regurgitate them here.

    There is also no reason to resort to personal musing when we can make an evidential case. I have no need to defend my position that reputable psychologists do not make a habit of posting here on any grounds other than the fact that there do not seem to be any reputable psychologists posting here.

    Do you ask someone to justify his reasoning when he says the sky is not pink? No. It's easily settled by direct observation.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

Similar Threads

  1. what do you guys think about these?
    By INTP in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-18-2010, 04:26 PM
  2. [NT] NTs, what do you honestly think about other temperaments in relation to yours?
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 149
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 11:35 PM
  3. [MBTItm] Feelers: What Do You Really Think About Thinkers?
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 125
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 09:43 PM
  4. What do you guys think about this?
    By INTP in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 11:33 PM
  5. [MBTItm] NFs...What do you honestly think about other Types/Temperaments?
    By Nyx in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-31-2009, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO