• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How do you Develop Extroverted Intuition

Tanvir

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm highly interested in developing my Extroverted Intuition and am looking for some guidance.

on the post here, SolitaryWalker gives some advice on cultivating the extroverted intuition in an INTP personality:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/3295-intps-life-3.html

Is this information valid in your opinion? Would you add anything?

How does one know that reading certain author's writings will help me (an INTP) develop this intuition?

What exactly IS extroverted intuition? Is it linked to our imagination?

Will developing the Extroverted Intuition enable me to nurture and develop relationships?

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm assuming your talking about learning to develop social interaction with people?

whimsical

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
just learn to open your views about things. anything can happen. think outside the box. a lot of it will come from your imagination.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I think you shouldnt think about such things. If you typed intp your perception style is already connecting dots between things + extroverted, meaning taking in a variety of seemingly unrelated topics.

Dont concern yourself with such things, its stupid and wont help you but make you a freak.

Try and focus on what you miss in life. Like for example: "I want people to think of me that I am humourus." Then go in the world and try out different humor. Watch how they receive it and learn from the experience. Experiment, ask people and find out what you miss.

But dont start with things like "developing your Ne" that will just bring you straight to the asylum :D

Qre:us

But dont start with things like "developing your Ne" that will just bring you straight to the asylum :D

But if you're ready for the asylum, it's a good indication that you've succeeded in developing your Ne. :devil:

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
The best advice is to learn small talk. You know talk about the weather, popular TV show, etc. Don't force the conversation into a intellectual one unless it goes there, people sometime hate this.

Always greet people, its very very weird if you had a good conversation with someone the day before and completely ignore them the next. I had this problem when i was younger, you will look like a snob to their eyes. Of course if you wanna form a friendship with said person, you can try starting a conversation even if its a short one.

Never over analyze a person behavior, it just gives you paranoia and it gets harder to talk to that person the next time you see him/her.

A few advice from a fellow INTP based on experience.

lastrailway

Ne is taking advantage of opportunities as they arise. So just do that.

That's more Se. Ne is less active, is mostly contemplating on the opportunities that and the possible scenarios that would arise if you did take advantage of them - or so I understand, at least.

VagrantFarce

That's more Se. Ne is less active, is mostly contemplating on the opportunities that and the possible scenarios that would arise if you did take advantage of them - or so I understand, at least.

I should say...

Ne is taking advantage of your curiosity, rather than mulling ideas over and over inside your head and never really going anywhere with it. I think the whole contemplation-loop thing is what keeps INTPs from really participating in life, so if any of this "develop my functions" malarky has weight to it, it's to do that.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Are you trying to develop Ne?
Or just develop relationships?

The latter I could give a few simple suggestions on
the former you're on your own.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Go surf wikipedia.

ConchShell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Good question - I mean how to actually develop it. I just sort of naturally interpret and find meanings to everything I see and hear (and bump into a lot of furniture at the same time). Sometimes I wish I had a slighly better sensing function to help me live and cope in a practical way.

I'm not sure how extroverted intuition could be developed though. Rehearse interpreting and finding the hidden meanings behind everything you see?

Maybe one way would be to learn more about body language. Developing this type of Ne would definitely help with relationships.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, as an INTP it should come naturally to you. Just extravert more. Talk more, do random stuff, basically lessen your inhibitions on doing things. Think less, act more.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think you shouldnt think about such things. If you typed intp your perception style is already connecting dots between things + extroverted, meaning taking in a variety of seemingly unrelated topics.

Dont concern yourself with such things, its stupid and wont help you but make you a freak.

Try and focus on what you miss in life. Like for example: "I want people to think of me that I am humourus." Then go in the world and try out different humor. Watch how they receive it and learn from the experience. Experiment, ask people and find out what you miss.

Ha, amusing that your answer to the dude here seems to be "use your Ne" :laugh:

Lemme see:

- go out into the world
- try different stuff out and see how it goes
- get feedback from around you to figure out how it went
- try again with an adapted version

Yeah that seems to be what you're recommending. Sounds like Ne to me! :)

Re. learning smalltalk - it seems screamingly obvious to me that before an INTP can "learn smalltalk" they've got to first internalize the value of smalltalk, stop seeing it as a necessary evil or shallow/stupid or whatever they typically do see it as. Open your mind to the possibility of it being a vehicle to pick up on things about a person, to learn their general MO and get an impression of them without having to risk going into personal areas or boring each other with pet subjects, thereby enabling you to go into deeper conversation another time, with less chance of causing offence and a better idea of how to communicate with that person. And they also, thereby, have a better idea how to deal with you too.

The more you give them, the more they give back, the more you can give etc etc... but if you sit there like a wall with a face while they futilely search for something that will get you talking and you silently opine to yourself that they're shallow and pointless because they're trying to engage you in smalltalk, then you're not giving them the feedback they need and nor are you going to get the feedback you need.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
to you yes, but to him it could sound different. And to Qre:us it surely sounds different aswell. And thats the point. You cant develop Ne, just live your life

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
to you yes, but to him it could sound different. And to Qre:us it surely sounds different aswell. And thats the point. You cant develop Ne, just live your life

And just living your life might mean those things to you, but it sure doesn't to everyone... ask a typical INTP what living their life means and it's like "well, sitting in my room reading books, going online, hanging out with one or two friends now and again, reading some more books, occasionally having to visit my parents, going online at their house while everyone else is talking and catching up..."

Well, there's nothing wrong with that at all, but it won't pimp up your Ne :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Sure, but to give to let an intp out in the world with the advice "develop your Ne" wont help him at all either. I know I didnt find the right words to tell him what to do, but thats basically because I dont know him. Therefore I could only say: never say "develop your Ne", cause then people will think you are a freak