User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Default ENTPs how do you stop yourselves being assholes

I realised today that most people either think i'm a complete asshole or a really nice guy or most commonly both.

I realized that while - i think - i can be a really nice genuine friendly guy i can also be a complete and utter asshole and be really cheeky and generally cruel.

I think this is an ENTP thing but it might just be an NT thing. But i wanted to know from other ENTPs especially the older mature ones how you keep you nasty side in check?
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

There are NF's who are asshole extraordinaires.

Lots of times I just don't say what I'm thinking out loud.

Seriously, though, just cultivating a better understanding of other people's POVs and how they think and trying to learn to respect that helps a lot. For example, I've learned this year with an ISFJ roommate that I use words primarily to play and discover truth, while words for her carry a lot of emotional import. So knowing that and not roughhousing with her has been key.

Then I found an ENTJ to roughhouse with instead!

It's all just about knowing your audience.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

How about older unmature ones? If you took a pole in here of who likes stain and who doesn't, it would turn out with absolutely no middle ground. The thing about an entp though is an entp will still like someone even though the someone doesn't like the entp. i think because the entp thinks *at least they're consistent at being an asshole/or not, and that makes them not boring*. Hell, i don't even think an entp would go so far as thinking someone was a complete a-hole because of a potential disagreement that provoked the entp (to only appear to be) an a-hole in the end. i even think it would be kinda nice to get a complementary reach around with a-hole qualities/overtones that are at the same level as what is perceived to be mine. Maybe just that accusation of being an a-hole is that reach around i needed. idk.

You do bring up a good point about the whole NT realm of possibly having these (what are speculated as) a-hole qualities. Except ENTJ. They can be an a-hole and still come to the conclusion that it was the other who was really the a-hole. i surely don't understand their logic with this.

Come to think of it, i think maybe only ENTJs can come off as either complete a-holes or genuinly friendly.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm not nasty at all, but I am honest. A lot of people think that honesty is nastiness, and that's their issue not mine. I think being dishonest is the worst trait a person can have. Dishonesty for the sake of harmony. Ick.

To survive in this world, I've learned when it is appropriate to speak up and when it's appropriate to let things go. This has not been easy, it involved a serious study of body language over many years. I don't offer opinions unless directly asked for one. I have learned (or am still learning) how to cushion my words to be gentle but still direct. Every day is like walking a tightrope. Every single day.

And if I am going to let something go, I have to physically remove myself from the situation. I can't sit there with something on the tip of my tongue and not say it, so I really do have to get up and leave as quickly as possible.

My only advice is to pay attention to people's reactions. I know how difficult this is, as your mind probably races a mile a minute like mine. But I try to say a phrase and then wait and watch. If it goes over well, then continue. If not, apologize right away for your lack of tact.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I'm not nasty at all, but I am honest. A lot of people think that honesty is nastiness, and that's their issue not mine. I think being dishonest is the worst trait a person can have. Dishonesty for the sake of harmony. Ick.

To survive in this world, I've learned when it is appropriate to speak up and when it's appropriate to let things go. This has not been easy, it involved a serious study of body language over many years. I don't offer opinions unless directly asked for one. I have learned (or am still learning) how to cushion my words to be gentle but still direct. Every day is like walking a tightrope. Every single day.

And if I am going to let something go, I have to physically remove myself from the situation. I can't sit there with something on the tip of my tongue and not say it, so I really do have to get up and leave as quickly as possible.

My only advice is to pay attention to people's reactions. I know how difficult this is, as your mind probably races a mile a minute like mine. But I try to say a phrase and then wait and watch. If it goes over well, then continue. If not, apologize right away for your lack of tact.
    +1. i'm still quite deep into the tough love sea though. Tact=dishonesty
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    There are NF's who are asshole extraordinaires.
    There are people who are asshole extraordinaire, so I don't see how this commentary is in any way revealing or helpful to the questions raised in the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by marmandahalf View Post
    Lots of times I just don't say what I'm thinking out loud. (1)
    Seriously, though, just cultivating a better understanding of other people's POVs and how they think and trying to learn to respect that helps a lot. (2)
    Like she said, (1) learning to curb one's thoughts. Before I said anything and everything that came to mind, now? Less so, but, it's still quite strong, this inclination to share my inner world/thoughts...however, now, I do a quick mental analysis of possible ramifications of the thought, and decide, irregardless of it, my desire to share the thought (so as to spur further thought) is worth more than decorum or something. So it basically comes down to doing a quick value-evaluation of one's own thought before spitting it out.

(2) is paramount......and a cool gift that I think ENTPs have, to put self in other's shoes. Perspectives. Try to harness this maybe while keeping the thought of respecting that person's personhood at forefront. It'll be quite insightful in social dealings.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    I realised today that most people either think i'm a complete asshole or a really nice guy or most commonly both.

I realized that while - i think - i can be a really nice genuine friendly guy i can also be a complete and utter asshole and be really cheeky and generally cruel.

I think this is an ENTP thing but it might just be an NT thing. But i wanted to know from other ENTPs especially the older mature ones how you keep you nasty side in check?
    I think one thing some of us on this forum forget is, we're not our type first. We're us, who, just happen to be X type. So, don't try to be ENTP. It will do more harm than good. Don't look at the world with the knowledge of MBTI if it does harm. E.g., I don't really need to respect SJs because they're boring and not as smart as me, an NT.

Let go of all this. Be you, and if you so happen to fall into the category of ENTPs, so be it.

Personalities cannot change, but, behaviour can be modified.

Hence, as much as I will admit to a 'nasty' side, I know that with time and effort, I can actually kill that nasty side. Or put a lock on it. I do this through my actions. I can have a thousand and one terrible thoughts in my head, but, ultimately, whatever I put out to the world (i.e., my action), will be the only thing of merit and significance.

Meaning: challenge your inner asshole to a duel and know that what's at stake is finding more doors opening up for you, people willingly wanting to open those doors for you, which will allow for success in this world.
    (as an extravert)

You will attract more bees with honey that poison. Respect is the honey for most of us.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I like people. I find that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    There are people who are asshole extraordinaire, so I don't see how this commentary is in any way revealing or helpful to the questions raised in the OP.
    I didn't realize I had to state the obvious: being an asshole is an equal opportunity job.
    It's not an ENTP thing or an NT thing. An NF or an ABCD
    can be an asshole extraordinaire.

If someone is an asshole to the core, asking how to stop being an asshole
    is as ridiculous as looking up at the sky while asking how to stop the rain from
    falling to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I didn't realize I had to state the obvious: being an asshole is an equal opportunity job.
    Hence, no need to state it as a specific either, esp. one whose category is irrelevant to an NT's own behavior....NF.

If someone is an asshole to the core, asking how to stop being an asshole is as ridiculous as looking up at the sky while asking how to stop the rain from falling to the ground.
    Not really. Most people can recall moments of being an asshole. Very few people out of the population will proclaim they are an asshole. To the core is a subjective matter that only that person can figure out. Not you, nor I can call that shot. (maybe psych professionals, and they may give it a fancy name, btw are you one?)

As I told the OP, personality cannot be changed, behaviour can be modified. It is the nature of humans, we can nurture inclinations within us. Rain, unfortunately (fortunately?), is only bound to the strictest whim of nature.