User Tag List

First 12

Thread: MBTI and traits

MBTI
    ENTJ

I would say that my most dominant function is Ni. Not because I'm an introvert by nature, but because it's a habit. After that would be Es followed by the others.

So getting out of my last class on a Friday midday, I felt the usual pang of joy. I was in Es mode, and Ni was the last thing I'd want to be doing. But as I walked home alone, Ni stopped sounding like such a bad idea. So here I am.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Attentional wiring

From what I've seen, most people feel drawn to focus their attention on those who are more dominant than them or of a higher status. In order not to appear submissive, they will focus on themselves or challenge those above them.

Emotional wiring

From what I've seen, some people feel drawn to match their energy to those who are more dominant than them or of a higher status. In order not to appear submissive, they will focus on their own energy or show emotional aloofness to those above them.

I do not have the first issue, but I do have the second. I can't help it either, at least not easily. So I would say that I have good "attentional responsibility," but poor "emotional responsibility." You do not want to leave me in charge of the emotions of the group.

If I'm not "emotionally responsible," does that make me an F? But the thing is that I'm not really about feelings, I'm more about understanding the facts. So it depends on how you define T/F.

MBTI
    ENTJ

My previous post isn't quite right. I wasn't able to clearly explain what was lodged in my subconscious, because I didn't fully understand the concept. But now I do.

In the underground internet dating communities, there is a lot of talk about being an "alpha male" when it comes to attracting women. I thought they were wrong, because I saw myself as an alpha male, and I don't attract women. I mean, I'm a J--I socialize downward, seek responsibility, look for opportunities to lead. I can not truly feel comfortable when I'm just going with the flow, or following.

So what's the problem? The problem is how I respond when I'm in an uncomfortable position. What truly separates me from guys who are good at attracting women (whether it be J's or P's) is how I respond: instead of taking charge, I will either complain, suck it up, or go into my head.

Nearly all of my life experiences support this. There are videos of me as a toddler doing this. I'm wired this way, and I cannot change my behavior without fighting this wiring. I may consider myself as an "alpha male" when it comes to other people, but I am very much a "beta male" when it comes to my environment.

But if you were to take any guy who is truly good at creating sexual tension with women (and I'm not talking about "Mystery" or "David DeAngelo," I'm talking about J's like my Dad, Tucker Max, etc. And P's like the crazy kids you all know at your school.), you see that these guys instinctively take charge when they are placed in an uncomfortable position. Like Tucker Max said in his book, "When I am bored or unhappy, my behavior becomes akin to a crack-addled ADD monkey until I find something to occupy me." That may not be the best quote to support my argument, but you get the idea.

And women really look for this. How you respond when you're in an non-ideal environment determines everything. It's easy to act all cool online, because you're in the comfort of your own home. But how do you act when you're waiting for something with other people? What about when you order food or pay at a cash register. What about when you have to do something you don't want to? The examples are endless. This is where some people like my Dad really shine, and others like myself just suck it up or leave.

The good news is that when I'm in an uncomfortable position and I soldier it out to the end, I become good marriage material. This is how I got girlfriends during the second half of high school. I was miserable during the first two years, and then when things finally started coming together during the last two years, I suddenly found myself doing a little bit better with women. But their interest was never at all sexual. I only ended up dating girls who were looking for a relationship and were okay with just having a guy as a status symbol.

But way more interesting than me are guys who DO assert themselves in their environment and still fail. Take Officer Farve (sp?) on Super Troopers. He's a total disaster in the movie. He's the butt off all the jokes. But I would consider him both a J and assertive in his environment. So what's the problem? Well, he's also douche bag. He can't see past the end of his nose for more than like five seconds, and he's totally out of touch with the other characters. He is pretty funny, admittedly. But you also have be in touch with other people if you want to get respect from men and attraction from women. If you are in touch, and you take control of your environment, then almost nothing else matters. It doesn't matter if you're J, P, nice, or a jerk. Though from what I've seen, guys who are very good at "taking control of a non-ideal environment" tend to be less empathetic and understanding than guys who are at my end of the spectrum.

MBTI
    ENTJ

I think there are two kinds of people in the world:

1) People who believe humans are by definition above animals, and they feel pride in supressing animal instincts. May or may not be religious.

2) People who believe that humans are basically animals, and should follow what are genes program us to do. Our beyond-animal achievements are basically a subset of our genetic wiring, similar to ants. Temporarily suppressing animalistic behavior for the good of the colony is a subset of our genetic wiring.

I started out thinking that the truth lies somewhere between 1) and 2). But as I wrote 2), I liked it more and more.

MBTI
    INTJ

Your wiring and dominance posts are really interesting. I've thought about that kind of thing a lot in the past. I tend to think of professional and social dominance as seperate things, though. Some people are very effective and controlling when they are trying to get things done, but totally clam up when it comes to social situations. The reverse is also true.

just something to think about
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by Matt22 View Post
    What I lacked in natural dominance was completely made up for by official authority. People had to respect the rules that I enforced regardless of what they thought of me. This sounds uncool, but in general things ran pretty smoothly. It was an easy position for me to be in, and I saw that most people were fine with rules.
    I was in a similar situation. A commission I am on conducted an entry-level examination for patrol officer applicants. The then-chairman asked me, as she had before, to address the nearly two hundred anxious twentysomethings seated in the hall. Projecting my voice, I called attention.

I was amazed at how quickly the room went silent, and how rapt the attention of the applicants was. My address was short, but it was effective. By the end of the test, applicant upon applicant, passing me while leaving the building, referred to me as "sir."

The sense of authority was incredible, and wonderful.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    I was in a similar situation. A commission I am on conducted an entry-level examination for patrol officer applicants. The then-chairman asked me, as she had before, to address the nearly two hundred anxious twentysomethings seated in the hall. Projecting my voice, I called attention.

I was amazed at how quickly the room went silent, and how rapt the attention of the applicants was. My address was short, but it was effective. By the end of the test, applicant upon applicant, passing me while leaving the building, referred to me as "sir."

The sense of authority was incredible, and wonderful.
    I think we are inherently more comfortable when we are in control. It's when we care the least what people think about us and just do whatever the hell we want.

...and sorry for hijacking your thread...
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume