• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Child's Play - portrait of an NT child

Qre:us

Give your type, and a memory/story or habits and interests of your childhood that, with hindsight, was a clear example of what type you'd grow up to be.

marmandahalf

My friends wouldn't play American Girl dolls with me because it'd always devolve into research (which I found a lot more fun, honestly.)

Friend: And then my Kirsten drives away...
Me: They didn't have cars back then.
Friend: Yes they did!
Me: Let's look up when cars were invented...
*an hour of reading later, friend finally sulks home*

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
There was never any doubt...

On my 8th birthday, my mom got me one of those cabbage patch dolls that everyone else loved so much. I went on a hunger strike until she returned it and bought me the microscope set that I had been begging for.

Around the same age, I gave a detailed presentation of how babies are made to a group of boys who didn't believe me. I backed up my thesis with articles from Good Housekeeping and pictures from Playboy.

When I was 10, I was "grounded for life" for taking apart the piano. I did this to prove to my doubting friend that it was not only a stringed instrument, but also a percussive one.

That was also the year that I became a "mathlete".
That was also the year I started copywriting my original music with Library of Congress.

At 12, I hated my step father and quickly learned to take the brakes off of his bike. After his accident, he caught me while I was dismantling the breaks from his car.

When I was 15, I had graduated from high school. My mother said I was too young to go to college and that waiting a year or two at home would be the best thing for me. I promptly packed my bags and left while my parents were at work.

There was never any doubt...

On my 8th birthday, my mom got me one of those cabbage patch dolls that everyone else loved so much. I went on a hunger strike until she returned it and bought me the microscope set that I had been begging for.

Around the same age, I gave a detailed presentation of how babies are made to a group of boys who didn't believe me. I backed up my thesis with articles from Good Housekeeping and pictures from Playboy.

When I was 10, I was "grounded for life" for taking apart the piano. I did this to prove to my doubting friend that it was not only a stringed instrument, but also a percussive one.

That was also the year that I became a "mathlete".
That was also the year I started copywriting my original music with Library of Congress.

At 12, I hated my step father and quickly learned to take the brakes off of his bike. After his accident, he caught me while I was dismantling the breaks from his car.

When I was 15, I had graduated from high school. My mother said I was too young to go to college and that waiting a year or two at home would be the best thing for me. I promptly packed my bags and left while my parents were at work.

:wubbie: You're so badass I'd wanna test out your above-mentioned thesis if I was a dude.

EDIT: bolded: wow, thorougly impressed.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
:wubbie: You're so badass I wanna test out your above-mentioned thesis if I was a dude.

Awwww, :heart:

When I was 9, I ate an entire bottle of Flintstone's vitamins to purposely break out in hives, so I could avoid going to Sunday school.

Yeah, I'm an NT.

EDIT: I was avoiding going to Sunday school because I wasn't satisfied with the answer of why God gave Cain the mark on his forehead to protect him from other people, when clearly there were no other people. And if there were other people, they would be his siblings and wouldn't have wanted to kill him.

^ :laugh:

In Grade 5, I made a $5 bet with this boy on the playground that I couldn't jump straight and catch the last of the monkeybars.

I lost. And, subsequently got 10 stitches on my forehead to prove it. Which, I begged the doc to get me a mirror so I could see how stitching is done. Totally cool! And, I got a free popsicle at the end of it for being so 'brave'.

None of that hurt as bad as the gloating of the $5 richer boy.

So......I decided to start pimping my TOTALLY GROSS, DISGUSTING, STUFF FLOWING OUT wound during recess and lunch, for 25 cents a viewing (gauze off). I capitalized on the fact that those who wasted the money would totally hype it up (to not look like an idiot for wasting money), which got me enough customers that by the end of the week, I was triple the amount I lost in the bet.

My operations got shut down, when i didn't let my 5 years old cousin get a free viewing, and he complained to the teachers...which was an awkward call for my parents to receive. To say the least.

* now I carry over 50 stitches on my face (and weirdly enough, nowhere else on my body, and not a single broken bone...). :D

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
My older brother used to piss me off so much, so I would spend an inordinate amount of time designing and building traps for him. Favorite ones included wires suspended at random places, so when he would run, he would trip on them and fall face first in a pool of ink. Also enjoyed loosening the screws on his bedframe, and stuffing his mattress with lobster shells.

I also set my closet on fire (and almost the house) trying to find out if the chemical make up of plastic changes when burned (I burned a plastic teapot set).

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
* now I carry over 50 stitches on my face (and weirdly enough, nowhere else on my body, and not a single broken bone...). :D

That is CLASSIC! Love it!!!!

I unfortunately have too many broken bones to count. I've broken everything, including my nose - twice. (once from walking into a mirror, no less!!!)

marmandahalf

^ :laugh:

In Grade 5, I made a $5 bet with this boy on the playground that I couldn't jump straight and catch the last of the monkeybars.

I lost. And, subsequently got 10 stitches on my forehead to prove it. Which, I begged the doc to get me a mirror so I could see how stitching is done. Totally cool! And, I got a free popsicle at the end of it for being so 'brave'.

None of that hurt as bad as the gloating of the $5 richer boy.

So......I decided to start pimping my TOTALLY GROSS, DISGUSTING, STUFF FLOWING OUT wound during recess and lunch, for 25 cents a viewing (gauze off). I capitalized on the fact that those who wasted the money would totally hype it up (to not look like an idiot for wasting money), which got me enough customers that by the end of the week, I was triple the amount I lost in the bet.

My operations got shut down, when i didn't let my 5 years old cousin get a free viewing, and he complained to the teachers...which was an awkward call for my parents to receive. To say the least.

I made $45 in third grade selling Baby Bottle Pops on the playground because commercials were running for them, generating hype, but only one store in town sold them- and nobody else bothered to figure out which store that was. I was similarly shut down by a whiny next-door neighbor.

marmandahalf

My older brother used to piss me off so much, so I would spend an inordinate amount of time designing and building traps for him. Favorite ones included wires suspended at random places, so when he would run, he would trip on them and fall face first in a pool of ink. Also enjoyed loosening the screws on his bedframe, and stuffing his mattress with lobster shells.

I also set my closet on fire (and almost the house) trying to find out if the chemical make up of plastic changes when burned (I burned a plastic teapot set).

My little sister was bothering me, so I set up a video camera, convinced her that she was on TV, and locked her in her room from the inside, then crawled out the (very high) window. She couldn't scream or freak out or anything because, duh, she was being broadcast, and *that* would've been embarrassing. My parents figured out she was missing a few hours later, but she couldn't unlock the door (she was 3), so they had to call a locksmith to remove the doorknob. I got in huge trouble, because they didn't see my need to read uninterrupted as a valid excuse for a $60 locksmith bill.

Now that I type this out, is this particularly NT, or just evil?

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I love your stories, you guys! NTs, ftw!!!!!

In 5th grade, I went door to door pretending to be a girl scout, lugging a big suitcase of my mother's books for sale so I could afford to go to space camp. When that didn't work, I convinced my best friend to cut off all her hair so we could sell it to a beauty salon. Needless to say, I got in a lot of trouble and never went to space camp (my biggest regret to date).

- Elementary school (can't remember age, prolly 10), I rearranged this crokety old neighbourhood lady's front lawn decorations, especially her gnomes and fairies (and she had this one baby cherub [?] that peed as a fountain)...to put on an XXX show. She had yelled at me for running on her lawn.

- I used to love climbing trees as a kid, and, there was this one that was my favourite, where I would climb up, and with mayo packages, let a dollop drop on the head of pedestrians walking below. Their reactions for what they thought happened were hilarious. That tree was sadly cut down because, again, of me.

- I had tried, and was succesful in selling my little cousin for this game I can't even remember now.

- Many stories of me making housemade bombs, and seeing how combining fireworks would look.

- Once, around age 7, I did a self-inquiry type project on different animal dung and why they differed (hypothesis: bigger animal, always equals bigger dung size?) Whereby, I collected different animal dung (very accessible when I went to visit my grandma who lives in the country - goat, duck, cow, etc). My teacher was not pleased when I brought that presentation to school (bless my INFP mama for indulging me, might I add!)

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Ladies, let's just cut to the chase... We can seriously make our own babies and start our own tribe. Come on!!!!

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
- Many stories of me making housemade bombs, and seeing how combining fireworks would look.

Don't even get me started on the bomb making... I can't believe how many hours I spent in the library doing bomb research in elementary school. I think I'm in love with you. :hug:

Ladies, let's just cut to the chase... We can seriously make our own babies and start our own tribe. Come on!!!!

Word. Though, I'm wondering, where are the little INTP, INTJ and ENTJ kiddies?

HELLOOOO?????

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think that anything about my childhood would've given any clues about who I'd grow up to be, except to maybe a world class psychiatrist... :unsure:

As a kid I seemed like a dead ringer for a pretty strong introvert, for starters.

I guess my invention of snakeboard basketball in my teens and the coopting of enough people into playing it, as well as my continuing to play it despite injuries... might've been a small clue.

I do have a feeling I relate to the money making schemes and disregard for generally accepted protocols... but since in fact I don't relate to much about my life before about 7 years ago (it literally feels like watching a movie of someone else's life), I can't really remember any specific examples...

Oh, except that when I got kicked out of home when I was uh, 15 I think or maybe 16, and found that the person who'd said I could live with them (which prompted my lack of caution in standing my ground with parents who had already threatened) had lied, rather than go back home and beg, I just went and lived in the woods. Built my own bivouac and lived there for almost a year, very happily TYVM. Passed the time by building contraptions to make the daily grind of finding and cooking food easier. When I was alone that is, since I often wasn't - come on, if you were a teen and had a friend living in the woods, wouldn't you go and visit them at every opportunity to chill and hang out away from parents and the law, and take them burgers and cans of beer? Had a good thing going there... :)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh yeah, and your door to door thing jenocyde, reminds me of when I used to go door to door offering to wash people's cars, targeting the rich neighbourhoods, naturally. After a while I figured they'd give more if they thought it was for charity, so I'd send off for sponsorship forms and official cans and stuff from a popular charity and go round rattling them, then just keep the money for myself and return the forms saying I didn't end up doing the event, or didn't make anything.

People tut at me for that, but whilst I'm not proud of it - I'm not ashamed either. I was just surviving; my parents were criminally negligent and I had to eat somehow. And feed my little sisters.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I read nearly the entire encyclopedia, in random order. Just flip to a page and start reading.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Oh, except that when I got kicked out of home when I was uh, 15 I think or maybe 16, and found that the person who'd said I could live with them (which prompted my lack of caution in standing my ground with parents who had already threatened), rather than go back home and beg, I just went and lived in the woods. Built my own bivouac and lived there for almost a year, very happily TYVM. Passed the time by building contraptions to make the daily grind of finding and cooking food easier. When I was alone that is, since I often wasn't - come on, if you were a teen and had a friend living in the woods, wouldn't you go and visit them at every opportunity to chill and hang out away from parents and the law, and take them burgers and cans of beer? Had a good thing going there... :)

BADASS!!! :worthy:

I also had a home away from home in a bomb shelter that I found behind the high school. I pimped it out and had homemade alarms set up. Man, is this only an ENTP thing????

I tried to motorize my rollerskates by using the parts from my parent's brand new VCR and the blender. It would have worked if I had just had more time before getting busted... damn parents!

(And the dictionary was my favorite book. I'm a nerd)