• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Child's Play - portrait of an NT child

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I grew up in an SJ household. I got smacked around a lot. So, yeah... my antics weren't appreciated. But I got in trouble mostly for my constant stream of questions that they couldn't answer. At some point, they just gave up and stopped acknowledging me altogether.

I grew up in an SJ household, but I didn't get smacked around at all. Your parents just sound like assholes.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm growing up in an SJ familly!
I used to et smacked when i was really young like under 10 but then my dad realised it didn't make anylong term difference! Also i was taller than him by 12/13 though he would never admit it! oh and i developed a tendancey of using knives when angry!

Qre:us

Ha! I collected Pogs but never actually played the game ('cause I was the only one that had them, lol).

I loved that game! It was like-concept to marbles (used to love playing marbles too). Alas, when we moved, my mom threw away my MASSIVE (and I mean, MASSIVE, like a garbage bag full) collection of Pogs. :(

I'm growing up in an SJ familly![...]oh and i developed a tendancey of using knives when angry!

Um...okay. First time I'm feeling sorry for the SJs in the deal than the NT.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm growing up in an SJ familly!
I used to et smacked when i was really young like under 10 but then my dad realised it didn't make anylong term difference! Also i was taller than him by 12/13 though he would never admit it! oh and i developed a tendancey of using knives when angry!

Dude, try some other punctuation once in a while.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
My friends and I helped out a classmate in getting his broke down car home. 6 or 7 of us pushed an old buick 2 miles from school. We all rode on top of the car down all of the hills in town, two of my friends on the back, another friend and I up on the hood, my best friend steering, and the other relaxing in the passenger seat.

That's the best of times. Coasting at 25 mph down a steep hill, wind whizzing through your hair, and the radio cranked.:thumbup:

marmandahalf

I believe, that cardboard box thing he did - was straight up, child abuse! It's like, I can't fight fair, so I'll imprison you. Horrible asshole! The kids stayed away from me.

I used to get kicked out of the gifted and talented class every day for talking too much and being disruptive, so they put me on a paperclip system- I got three paperclips each morning, and got them taken away as I was disruptive. Once they were gone, I had to go back to regular class, which I couldn't stand.

This worked until they figured out that I was bringing my own paperclips.

What do you think they should've done with kids like us? I basically just learned to chill out and adapt for survival purposes, but I always fantasized about home schooling myself. I knew I would've learned a hell of a lot more.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
totally, MacGuffin - total assholes, which is why I tried to take the brakes out of their car... sick, right? oh well, you live and learn and keep moving...

juggernaut

Permabanned
There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

That pretty much sums up this NT's childhood. :smile:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good,
She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.

-- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

That pretty much sums up this NT's childhood. :smile:

As said by my primary school teacher;
"Trina is a mixture of a child – a real monkey at times, and totally kind, thoughtful and sensitive to other children at other times. She is capable of extremes of behaviour, and when she is being good it is usually for a long time (she is the original girl with a curl in the middle of her forehead)."

:D

I used to hurt myself a lot by always rushing without looking where I was going (ok I still do), when I decided to do something it had to be done straight away and potential broken bones wouldn’t deter me or even cross my mind.

lowtech redneck

MBTI Type
INTP
I would spend hours at a time making up and solving mathematical problems or creating make-believe baseball statististics by combining the partial season records of several baseball cards. I would also create dream teams out of the single-season records on the back of the cards, taking special care to ensure that the "runs scored" and "runs batted in" totals from all the players matched up. Other than that (and not including regular little kid stuff), I would pace around while blissfully daydreaming or thinking about random shit for hours at a time, or explore the neighborhood without any consideration for other people's privacy and property rights.

Strangely, I didn't really start to read for fun until the fifth grade-two years later I was reading Les Miserables because I liked the musical soundtrack. Even more strangely, I no longer liked math.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I'm a little freaked out here, but I just noticed that I can't seem to remember almost anything from my childhood. Just random snippets, none of them really relevant to the topic.

Hm.

Well, this might fit. Most of what I do remember is from when I was around ten to twelve years old. For some reason my father wouldn't trust me to stay in the house alone, so he would pick me up from school and dump me in the Auburn Mall for hours a day. The excuse he always gave was that he didn't want me to burn the house down. I don't know where that notion came from. I would probably have sat in my room, reading.

Most of my memories consist of wandering the corridors of the mall -- it was a single-story, narrow, dimly lit place -- soaking in the atmosphere. I would go to the arcade and watch people play, because I didn't have any money, or I would go sit in the Papa Gino's and absorb the '80s top-40 radio and red bricks and even moodier lighting, and the smell of mozzarella and oregano. I would go to the Kay-Bee and -- this being before mainstream game magazines, even -- ask to see one NES or Master System game after another, to pore at the boxes. I would wander into the Spencer's Gifts and gape at the neon and chrome and flashing lights.

The mall was always fairly empty; just a few people here and there. No one ever bothered me, or even, to my recollection, talked to me.

Those were pretty good times.

Last edited:

Rikka

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
-I would monkey climb up into to top of the closet, eat oatmeal cookies, and read anything i could find. (i'd even resort to the phone book).
-I would point my walkie talkie at my mirror, and on a few rare occasions pick up a phone conversation. One time i even got a couple talking dirty to each other. it was hilarious.
-Watching the documentaries on television, and space channel. alot.
-Playing video games obsessively. I'm an snes nerd to the max.
-reading anything nearby when i ate my meals. labels on containers, etc.

marmandahalf

I would spend hours at a time making up and solving mathematical problems

One time in second grade I was bored, so my dad told me to figure out the square root of 7 to 20 digits- without a calculator. I came back an hour later with several sheets of paper and the right answer.

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
-I would sit and watch other kids play in preschool, instead of playing.
-In 6th grade I read instead of interacting with other kids.
-My first words were screamed at my dad because he refused to stop and feed me. I was 9 months old. (After I screamed at him, he stopped to feed me.) Not particularly NT in itself, but my father's an unhealthy SJ...
-In second grade my reading level was equivalent to a 12th grader's, according to a test they gave me.
-I developed my own alphabet in 3rd grade.
-I have kept notebooks since before I was able to write in coherent sentences.
-I left my family (and the trail...) on a hiking trip in the woods to go lie down on rocks alone in a secluded area far from the place they hiked to. I wish I was there right now...

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
totally, MacGuffin - total assholes, which is why I tried to take the brakes out of their car... sick, right? oh well, you live and learn and keep moving...

Yes... my brother and I used to add extra sugar into our dad's tea, hoping it might make him get a heart attack... well, as we understood science at the time... if you saw what he did to us you'd sympathize.

I wouldn't way my family was particularly SJ - there are only two SJ's in my immediate family and one of those was my baby sister, so of minimal influence. I think I felt more hit by the fact I'm the only T in my family, and so pretty much grew up having everything I said and did demonized and judged... just normal T behaviour when I look back, but of course it was made worse by being also supposedly a girl, so it struck all the stranger that I behaved in T fashion... and it always strikes me very odd to this day, when I get people saying I'm kind, thoughtful, friendly, etc... I grew up being told I was cold, belligerent and inconsiderate. I guess that's why I find it hard to take compliments about the warmer side of my personality - I tend to think people are "just saying that", you know?

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
Um...okay. First time I'm feeling sorry for the SJs in the deal than the NT.

Hey i never actually stabbed anyone. I just threatened to. And threw a few delibratly missing!:devil:

Hey i never actually stabbed anyone. I just threatened to. And threw a few delibratly missing!:devil:

IMO, you're trying to 'earn your freedom/independence' from your parents through fear rather than respect. Physical fear is a juvenile tactic. As it's the easier and dullest of the two to invoke...no brain muscle need to be exercised. What's the challenge in that (a true ENTP would ask)? Earn respect....it's hella more of a deeper mind-game than you can ever imagine physical fear to be. Physcial fear works on animal instinct, respect needs human cognition.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
IMO, you're trying to 'earn your freedom/independence' from your parents through fear rather than respect. Physical fear is a juvenile tactic. As it's the easier and dullest of the two to invoke...no brain muscle need to be exercised. What's the challenge in that (a true ENTP would ask)? Earn respect....it's hella more of a deeper mind-game than you can ever imagine physical fear to be. Physcial fear works on animal instinct, respect needs human cognition.

oh yeah i don't do it anymore.
I'm working on the respect thing. Its working now i have uni and all that stuff sorted out much to the suprise of my ESTJ dad!

oh yeah i don't do it anymore.
I'm working on the respect thing. Its working now i have uni and all that stuff sorted out much to the suprise of my ESTJ dad!

Saweet! :nice:
Trust me, I also have an ESTJ dad, and growing up, we clashed....once the whole respect came about, I finally realized how much fun a conversation with the old man can be. ESTJ has tertiary Ne, like we do Fe. It's pretty hilarious when we feel comfortable around each other to get in our zone. SJs can rock hard too, ya just gotta wade through the other BS barriers first, being such opposites in types.

PS - congrats on the Uni.

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah he seems calmer now!

cheers though I actually didn't get in to my first choice of St Andrews. I'm either going to aberdeen or doing a gap year with the year in industry scheme which organize enginneering/science/IT internships, so by sorted out i mean i'm set to do either one! now i just need to get a placement!