First 1234 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I looked up the word on wiki and got this:

So, given the very broad parameters and the fact that within them, non-religious stuff is contained, I dunno how meditation can be separated from ideas of mysticism of some kind, otherwise I dunno how it could really be meditation, as opposed to sorta "cogitation" or just having a bit of a quiet think lol

The ones I've bolded have been the main emphasis in my personal practice...
    It all depends on how you choose to explain the phenomena that encircles the practice of meditating. From a scientific point of view we have a fair handle on the general effects it has on the brain and one's cognitive functioning. We can assume that any sort of "spiritual" experience is a manifestation of physical brain phenomena, thus, from that perspective one separates the act of meditating and it's scientifically observed effects from any mysticism.

MBTI
    ENTP

yeah I suppose so. I just don't see why there has to be such a rivalry between science and things of the spirit. I mean I don't see why knowing how something happens automatically invalidates it or makes it any less, like, you know, special? Or why calling it one thing means you gotta sorta degrade the other words for it. So many of the definitions can exist side by side without contradicting each other, like I say, the science just explains "how", but only experience tells us "what".
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Some people get a lot out of meditation, and there are studies that help explain the brain changes that take place.

As an INTP, I'm practically meditating as I write this, so maybe extroverts stand to gain more from it.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I never found that the approach of trying to stick to a topic did anything for me. I found it more useful to treat my hyperactive brain like an overly talkative kid - let it ramble and then when it finally runs out of steam, my subconscious is like, "Right, have you finished?" and it shuffles its feet and says, sheepishly, "yes sir" and shuts up. That's when the good stuff happens.
    Damn Bro, if there's the chance MY hyperactive brain will run out of steam and "shut the fuck up" I am going to have to try this meditation thing out. I don't know the last time my brain turned off. Even before I go to bed I am scheming and imagining and trying to solve shit, and then the next morning I wake up and it starts all over again. It's a fucking curse I tell you!

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    It's a fucking curse I tell you!
    It's a blessing in disguise.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    It's a blessing in disguise.
    A very very good disguise, that during meditation has its dark glasses and false moustache brutally ripped off
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Wanted to share just in case it's of any use:

My favorite guy ENTP at work told me the other day I should be less stressed. He suggested I should try meditation. (This ENTP is well loved by most I work with for his deep sense of integrity and his kindness and ability to work well with others)

Later, remembering this thread, I stopped by his office and asked if he routinely meditated. It was funny as you could tell he was a little uncomfortable talking about it but still wanted to share, sort of ackwardly though.

He said that he meditates every day for about ten minutes. He had been doing this for about seven years since his career change. This confused me as he has always been a scientist.

When I asked about the career change, he said "My career change when I decided that my family was my career and that i wanted to give something back to the world. I was so busy trying to climb my way up the career path to become a tenured professor and I was not giving back to my family or society" He said this was a life changing moment for him and he really stopped and took a deep look at his life.

He is not religious in any organized or even deeply spiritual way. He is about 43 and has been meditating I guess for five years or so-ie life changing path at 36?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I once read about a concept from Japan, called pr0n meditation.

It basically needs a male and a movie. The male starts the movie then from the beginning and sitting there, watches... use your Ne know for further understanding

I heard real japanese gurus can watch 48 hours without even blinking
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I've never really been able to meditate. At least, not traditionally speaking. I find that I can't have a relaxed body and a relaxed mind at the same time; at least one of them has to be doing something, or I give up extremely early in the process. And ever since the incident when I was younger where I crashed my bike into my mailbox because I wasn't paying attention, I've mostly given up on it. Sucks, though, it'd be fun to actually experience some of the many stated benefits.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I started with Yoga last week.

It had the effect, that my mind all of a sudden, after 20 minutes or so after we start, shuts up. All the crazy mind spinning ideas whirling through my head normally are gone. But I don't feel empty, I can really embrace this state.

Part of the workout is deep, beneficial relaxation at the end. And what is funny and quite interesting to experience is, that during the relaxation part my body starts sleeping, but my mind is not. I could feel that my body was asleep wich is real weird.

Looking forward to next week!
    When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Video Challenge Question Video
    Race: Werepire
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    7w8 sx>so>sp
    Give me an E! E
    Give me a N! N
    Give me a T! T
    Give me a P! P
    What's that? Yeah right, that's me!

Always expect the unexpected! - Terry Pratchett