• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP and meditation

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I hate meditation and I hate the zone. I can't keep my mind quiet enough to meditate. I can quietly focus on some other activity, but sitting there trying not to think about anything in particular is torture. It just makes me angry.

Don't get me started on yoga.

Kungpowish

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
two
I've never really been able to meditate. At least, not traditionally speaking. I find that I can't have a relaxed body and a relaxed mind at the same time; at least one of them has to be doing something, or I give up extremely early in the process. And ever since the incident when I was younger where I crashed my bike into my mailbox because I wasn't paying attention, I've mostly given up on it. Sucks, though, it'd be fun to actually experience some of the many stated benefits.

Interesting fact, the word meditate come from the sanskrit word for familiarize. So a meditation is just familiarizing your mind with a state or idea. We meditate on objects of desire all the time. So a breathing meditation is becoming familiar with the mind that just watches your breath go in and out. And if you can only do one or two, keep doing it, you will become more familiar the more you familiarize. Makes sense yeah?

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Interesting fact, the word meditate come from the sanskrit word for familiarize. So a meditation is just familiarizing your mind with a state or idea. We meditate on objects of desire all the time. So a breathing meditation is becoming familiar with the mind that just watches your breath go in and out. And if you can only do one or two, keep doing it, you will become more familiar the more you familiarize. Makes sense yeah?

Right. Meditation isn't really about making your mind go blank. It's basically a poor man's biofeedback mechanism, consciously utilizing the brain's abilities to whatever desired effect.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
I read about the tao te ching and I thought Lao Tzu's teachings really work
But I was wrong.

Meditation does not cleart your mind. Your brain is thinking no matter what happens. If your brain really cease to think, time cease to exist. Consciousness is always active.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I read about the tao te ching and I thought Lao Tzu's teachings really work
But I was wrong.

Meditation does not cleart your mind. Your brain is thinking no matter what happens. If your brain really cease to think, time cease to exist. Consciousness is always active.

Maybe that's why your type is "FAIL" ;) . J/K. Again, the purpose is never to really clear your mind of all thoughts, that's an ignorant western interpretation of the teachings and techniques. To "clear" the mind is to exercise control over the mind. Taoism is one of the greatest root teachings I've come across. It's evolution into the internal arts of China is particularly fascinating, both in its history and in the arts themselves (including the healing arts).

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
could be...but i lost faith in it.

I meditated 6hrs in my house, and after a that 6hrs , I was so depressed, from afternnon to evening. I did it again the next day, and it got worse,I was completely dull and listless.

Now I rather take a run or play a sport instead.

When you meditate, what do you see? I see infinity and death.

sculpting

Right. Meditation isn't really about making your mind go blank. It's basically a poor man's biofeedback mechanism, consciously utilizing the brain's abilities to whatever desired effect.

I think there are a variety of types of meditation. In some you focus on an empty mind, in others an object os some sort (Si?), others on feelings of love (Fi?), or perhaps more interesting is mindful meditation where you are "mindful" of everything you are doing-in the moment (Se?).

In mindful meditation you pay attention to the details of activities you are doing, observe your thoughts, then reframe the thoughts into a more positive light, rtaher than looking forward to the next event, focus on the event at hand?

I'd google it though as my descriptions have likely got it all screwed up. Also I dont think six hour sessions are the way to start-I think you start very slowly-a couple of minutes here and there and slowly build up perhaps?

There are also some breathing excercises that can supplement yoga and meditation.

ADISCIPLE

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I usually meditate when I break at work. It usually results in a 30 to 45 minute cat-nap. Is this a form of meditation? I've been working on it for about a month now, but I do feel amazing afterwards.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Damn Bro, if there's the chance MY hyperactive brain will run out of steam and "shut the fuck up" I am going to have to try this meditation thing out. I don't know the last time my brain turned off. Even before I go to bed I am scheming and imagining and trying to solve shit, and then the next morning I wake up and it starts all over again. It's a fucking curse I tell you! :violin:

I try, badly, to just make my mind quiet by slowing down. Looking around. To focus on calmness.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i meditate while doing menial tasks. i meditate while i sit and write. my mind is always adrift.

i think if you try to schedule or appoint your meditation to certain areas or certain timespaces, then you've missed the point of meditation.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
yeah, I find as I said, the key is not to force it, can't stress that enough.