• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs, do you have trouble falling asleep?

Do you have trouble falling asleep in an unmedicated state?

• INTP - Yes

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • INTP - No

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • INTJ - Yes

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • INTJ - No

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • ENTP - Yes

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • ENTP -No

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • ENTJ - Yes

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • ENTJ - No

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And let's assume an unmedicated state, for those who would take sleep medication. :)

Trouble falling asleep means it takes longer then 15 minutes, sometimes much longer.

No trouble meaning you are capable of falling asleep in under 15 minutes regularly.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
alcohol's medication, right? :mellow:

Ok then, the answer's no, I don't have trouble falling asleep once I actually go to bed. It's going to bed I have difficulty with. There is always, always something else I would rather do. Trust the ENTP to point out the omission of the "yes and no" option in the poll :cheese:

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
It takes me usually from 20 minutes to an hour.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alcohol is a medicated state yes, under influence I can fall asleep while I am trying to get into bed (Before I'm actually lying down). :p

And yes, after lying down.

Xenofile

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
5w4
It usually takes me around 45 minutes to an hour to fall asleep. In the last few years I'm not sure I've ever fallen asleep withing 15 minutes while in a sober state, and even when intoxicated there are times when it takes longer.

On a bad night (or week) it could take 2-5 hours for me to fall asleep. In these situations I generally just get up and do something productive for a couple hours before going back to bed and falling asleep in the 15 min - 1 hr window.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Same for me by the way, usually 45 minutes to an hour. The only times I fell asleep under 15 minutes was when I was either intoxicated, or when I hadn't slept for a very long time, or wore myself out physically to exhaustion without much sleep in the days before.

By the way, my hypothesis for this poll is that it is virtually impossible for NT's to fall asleep quickly on a regular bases in a sober state. Let's see if it holds any merit. :)

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have trouble sleeping if I'm not sleepy. This is why I'm often up posting at 4am during the week. I have to go till I just crash. I can't lie in bed waiting to fall asleep. Quiet, alone, darkness, unmoving. Everything I hate.

Mort Belfry

Rats off to ya!
MBTI Type
INTP
The worst is when you're really tired yet it still takes two to three hours to fall asleep.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The worst is when you're really tired yet it still takes two to three hours to fall asleep.

That happens when I have unfinished business and can't get my mind off of it. Or when I have some kind of problem on my mind.

I had a few times that I fell asleep thinking about a problem and waking up with the answer. Once I was 16 or so and busy programming bugfixes for a game; went to bed with a programming problem i couldn't figure out, early in the morning my mom woke me up and I remember clearly I had the solution, but she was asking me questions too. And I was just babbling incomprehensibly to her while trying to hold on to the memory of the solution. :D But that's for another topic.

I think that the reason for NT's to have trouble falling asleep is that lying down still in a dark environment is a very unnatural form for NT's and indirectly keeps us awake longer because of small levels of distress in how our minds work.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ah, after lying down?

Well, I usually read for between half an hour to an hour after I lie down, basically til my eyes get heavy, then I put the book down and fall asleep no problem.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah, after lying down?

Well, I usually read for between half an hour to an hour after I lie down, basically til my eyes get heavy, then I put the book down and fall asleep no problem.

Suppose you wouldn't read, would you still be able to fall asleep easily? Or do you need to do the reading too?

I think the half an hour to an hour of lying down reading, could be potentially seen as the time an NT would lay awake under 'normal' circumstances. Maybe.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Ah, after lying down?

I've tried that. I just end up reading in bed for three hours.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've tried that. I just end up reading in bed for three hours.

yeah that happens sometimes to me too. I just go with it, I don't worry. I know I'll be able to keep going the next day anyway, mental energy and willpower *shrug* never let me down yet. And eventually I'll be so shattered I'll fall asleep anyway. And if not, there's always beer... :D

Fluffywolf - no, if I read sitting up or any other room or position, sleep doesn't even cross my mind. I have to be in bed, cos I literally put the book down and go to sleep in the same position. Sometimes fall asleep with my face in the book lol Actually it gets more effective the more you do it, like Pavlov's dog sorta thing, you start associating reading with sleeping and then the ritual just sorta takes care of it.

Like I say, if it doesn't, I've a decanter of port here says I'll sleep well if I have to! But usually I don't really HAVE to, even if I lie there reading for hours, I'll still get a modicum of sleep eventually. But worrying about it doesn't help, so I don't :)

(by the way it's gone 2am where I am lol)

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I have problems going to sleep and also staying alseep. If I go and try to lie down in the dark, my brain races onto every conversation and thought I've had during the day. All the things I was supposed to remember (and had long forgotten) flood back in.

I can't shut it off. Reading just keeps me up. So I just work or bs online until I pass out wherever I happen to be sitting, head on the keyboard... every single night. Then I sleep for like 4-5 hrs at best. Any little thing will wake me up and it's impossible to go back to sleep. Needless to say, I get a lot accomplished.

I've been this way for as long as I can remember. I literally hate going to bed. I only go in that room if I have company.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I take ages to go to sleep because even if physically tired i'm hardly ever mentally tired which is more important. I just end up lying about daydreaming and thinking. Any fantasy fans at all? You know how almost all elves in fantasy have a "waking dream" well that kinda what i'm like.

The only exception is when i just get in from school, then i can just collapse and sleep for 2-5 hours easily. Its probably because i walk 2.5 miles home so by then i'm physically tired and i've had time to think through the day and let my mind calm down and use up my remaining imagination.

Drink helps but as i'm still under the legal age for another 7 months and my parents don't really drink its not really readily available.

Readings good as well. I used to read fiction almost every night when i was younger and never had problems sleeping.

I can never get up though. Once asleep i can wake up easily then go straight back to sleep just as easily.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
it takes me long. if i go too early i get the feeling i am wasting time, so i always go late.

ring the bell

I have a horrible time getting to sleep. I just lie there, thinking about all of the things that really don't matter but still come to mind. I have had bouts with true insomnia in the past as well, where I might go for 2 or 3 days with no sleep at all. I would get deliriously tired, but just not able to sleep. It's normally correlated pretty well with my level of stress. When all is good, I can pass out pretty quickly. Any sort of alcohol, stimulant or depressent even usually will keep me up. I can't even pass out with a normal doss of benadryl! It's been a curse for years..

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Right now, I'm dealing with massive stress and day 7 or 8 (???) of pure insomnia. I feel ya.

ring the bell

Right now, I'm dealing with massive stress and day 7 or 8 (???) of pure insomnia. I feel ya.

ick! I hate it when it gets like that. People don't quite get it when you say you are so tired and you just can't sleep. "Oh, just relax" is what I've heard so much.... not so easy when your mind is racing, even if in gibberish.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
I will fall asleep on the couch then awaken and go to bed where i can't sleep for 2 hours sometimes/50%. Often i think it's not so much the thinking that keeps me awake but more repressed feeling generating ahelluvalotof thought.