User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ENTP Ennui

MBTI
    ENTP

Default ENTP Ennui

Sure, there are challenges in life, but they're either like crosswords - pointless, gain nothing by doing them, or exams - you know you could pass it if you really wanted to, but don't care enough to do the work, and it's not worth bothering with the work because pwning it won't give satisfaction when you never doubted you could anyway.

Do you ever feel like ennui will utterly engulf you if you don't keep on "adding plates", to use Synarch's brilliant analogy? Do you yearn for something that will be able to force you out of autopilot? Stop this feeling of coasting through 'til you get to an important part that never comes?

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Haha. Yeah, it's like spinning a bunch of plates. The moment you have it working okay you add more. Occasionally you break them all.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

(I shall sow your fields with tares and salt! That should break the ol' routine! )

I think what you mean is something unplanned AND inevitable pushing you into a "forced march" - mentally, physically, emotionally. To loose control of that area but in a good way, a way that activates what can't be touched or actualized by you, but IS you at the same time. The removal of the hothouse flowers in favor of the unknown that could naturally erupt from primed but fallow earth.

Different things fall out when someone/thing else is doing the shaking.

It's hard when a Q needs something new. (Speaking of which, he was on tv late last night hounding the heck out of Picard, and we thought of you. lol)
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post

I think what you mean is something unplanned AND inevitable pushing you into a "forced march" - mentally, physically, emotionally.
    Yeah, that's it basically. But I can't remember ever feeling like anything did all of those. One, at most, so I stay on autopilot, just coast along. Though, it has to be something constructive, that I can see a clear point to, that benefits the greater good and not just me.

Just wondered if it was just me or a typical ENTP thing, and how other ENTP's deal with it.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm not ENTP, Sub, but I will say, I feel that way too. Like it takes something to light a fire under me or take things in a different but profound direction and I know to force that would be artificial and yet I wish for this mysterious energy to act. It has to just "happen" and that's hard to take. Autopilot is what gets me through most things, but I don't want to find I've gone X amount of distance and not recalled any of it, like semi-lucid dental surgery.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I feel like I will die if I stop moving, or get used to the motion.

MBTI
    INTJ

Not being an ENTP I can't commiserate but I can direct you to someone who is, can and has made music about it. Try listening to the album Hissing Fauna, Are You The Destroyer? by of Montreal. Here are sample lyrics:

Quote Originally Posted by A Sentence of Sorts in Kongsvinger
    I spent the winter with my nose buried in a book
    While trying to restructure my character
    'Cause it had become vile to its creator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronlandic Edit
    (The surrealists were just
    Nihilists with good imaginations)

I am satisfied
    Hiding in our friend's apartment
    Only leaving once a day
    To buy some groceries
    Daylight, I'm so absentminded
    Nighttime meeting new anxieties
    So am I erasing myself?
    Hope I'm not erasing myself

I guess it would be nice to give my heart to a god
    But which one, which one do I choose?
    All the churches fill with losers, psycho or confused
    I just want to hold the divine in mind
    And forget all of the beauty's wasted

Let's fall back to earth and do something pleasant
    We fell back to earth like gravity's bitches
    (Physics makes us all its bitches)

I guess it would be nice to help in your escape
    From patterns your parents designed
    All the party people dancing for the indie star
    But he's the worst faker by far
    But in the set, I forget all of the beauty's wasted

I guess it would be nice
    Show me that things can be nice
    I guess it would be nice
    Show me that things can be nice
    And here's an acoustic live version of a song about battling depression:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iuWPtiOLBI&feature=related"]Heimdalsgate Like A Promethean Curse (acoustic live version)[/YOUTUBE]

The original (zany) version of this song can be heard on the band's MySpace page (linked above).

MBTI
    ENTP

can't say as I relate to those lyrics at all Economica! It's like the total polar opposite of me!!! LOL your dude in the song feels overwhelmed by choices, thinks they're all bad, and so decides to do nothing and atrophy in a pit of self pity! OTOH, I feel like there's a lot out there that's good, i'm very optimistic and upbeat and my response to the frustration of not being able to REACH the worthwhile things is to go out and keep trying, keep looking. I resolutely REFUSE to feel sorry for myself.

Jenocyde - yeah you've got it there, you know what I'm talking about. Ever feel like you're a rolling stone, eh?

Pink - yeah it's a fucker ain't it?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Sure, there are challenges in life, but they're either like crosswords - pointless, gain nothing by doing them, or exams - you know you could pass it if you really wanted to, but don't care enough to do the work, and it's not worth bothering with the work because pwning it won't give satisfaction when you never doubted you could anyway.

Do you ever feel like ennui will utterly engulf you if you don't keep on "adding plates", to use Synarch's brilliant analogy? Do you yearn for something that will be able to force you out of autopilot? Stop this feeling of coasting through 'til you get to an important part that never comes?
    I'm going to plagiarize this for my autobiography. Nobody tell bananatrombones.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP

There have been a couple of times actually that I remember in my life, when I've emerged from something, breathless, grinning from ear to ear and feeling really alive, the only words I could say being "Fuck me, I really wasn't sure for a minute that I'd make it, I thought I was toast back there!"

edit - actually the unplanned part isn't as important to me as I thought when I first read Pink's posts. It could be something I deliberately plan to take on, but I've got to be able to perceive from the beginning that the difficulty rating is set to "almost impossible". ALMOST. Even better is "everyone else thinks it's impossible, but I can see a way".

MBTI
    ENTP

I actually long for the end of the world sometimes. My head seems to be there already. The clarity of survival. The pure adrenaline of the apocalypse. I'm stuck in survival mode with no crisis. So, I make my own. Life: the crisis of existence. In the end, we all approach our own apocalypse anyway.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."