• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] INFP/ENTP?

Qre:us

wait a minute.
Isn't the entp the supervisee in the entp\infj relationship?

Yup!

INFj = INFP in MBTI. Supervisor = ENTp, Supervisee = INFj. So therefore ENTP supervises, INFP is the supervisee. INFp (INFJ in MBTI) and ENTp are Semi Duals apparently. Relations of Semi-Duality between psychological ("personality") types

Uh..nope!

Relations between Psychological ("personality") Types

Put in ENTp + INFj and click = RELATION

You will see it comes up that INFj is the SuperviSOR and the ENTp is the SuperviSEE

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i don't quite get the theory behind socionics. exactly how is an ENXp a beneficiary to a ESXj?

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For what it's worth, this was somewhat addressed in the "Who Wants ENTP Women" thread. I don't *personally* agree with what many of the INFPs said in that thread, but I only recently read it, and missed the party.

^Hmm interesting. Do you think there is something to what Black Cat has said (being INFP)... that he feels intimidated by certain ENTP? Hence, perhaps that prodding can feel... disrespectful or like an assault? Or as though you have to justify your ways to the ENTP? I'm just putting things together on the fly here.

I can see why he said he felt like certain ENTP intimidate him. For me, I'd say it's that I feel like I have more at stake than they do in any given interaction. Giving someone that key is difficult for me, especially when I don't feel like it's a mutual exchange.

Doesn't apply to all ENTPs, though. Some I can't help but to intrinsically trust. My friend in college was like that. Some of the ENTPs here are like that.

Whereas as an INFJ I don't feel intimidated at all. So, I regard their prodding and poking as well meaning but basically I don't feel obliged to explain myself or justify anything. It's odd, even when an ENTP is being 'abrupt' I just speak my mind and all is fine. And I don't feel assailed. But I am direct in a way that perhaps the INFP might not be with an ENTP? They don't seem to push the buttons that would make me upset or feel hurt. Totally making this up as I go along!

That's interesting.

I think the highlighted is the main thing. Tertiary (relief) Fe vs Dom Fi. Causes the INFP to close off and ignore the ENTP, which is pretty much the only way to really get to an ENTP's head.

nope, nevar.

Your secret crush on INFPs couldn't be more obvious. It's quite embarrassing, really.

i could go for an INFP GUY, but if i were a dude (or lesbian), i'm pretty sure we'd just have sex then go our separate ways*. one of us running faster than the other.

:laugh:

Going from casual to serious would be a difficult transition, I think. I still don't fully understand the nature of the long term relationship in the ENTP. My co-worker pretty much states that you can't get married for love, because it doesn't work. It's a business relationship. I've seen that sentiment echoed here. Yeah... not my cup of tea.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
:laugh:

Going from casual to serious would be a difficult transition, I think. I still don't fully understand the nature of the long term relationship in the ENTP. My co-worker pretty much states that you can't get married for love, because it doesn't work. It's a business relationship. I've seen that sentiment echoed here. Yeah... not my cup of tea.

can't get married based solely on love...

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Nope, not wise to marry solely for love. If I had, I'd be married to a carnie right now. And probably would be operating a ferris wheel in a state fair somewhere...

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

But... a life without love, that's terrible! Love is like oxygen!

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaqYgWc8-vs&feature=related"]All You Need Is Love[/YOUTUBE]

Seriously, I do agree. Your italicizing of solely makes it so I can't take personal Fi offense and get into a pointless argument with you. :(

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I don't think it was emphasized solely for you... :) and yes, you want to marry the one you love, but love isn't the only factor.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think it was emphasized solely for you... :) and yes, you want to marry the one you love, but love isn't the only factor.

Cute...

It's when it becomes a near irrelevant factor that I start taking issue with it. But, I'd be pretty foolish to base all ENTPs on my coworker, wouldn't I? Especially considering that I don't consider him the most respectable example of an ENTP.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
This is a bit OT, but I want to know: for those that say love is not the only factor that would induce you to marriage, do you mean:

(1) Love is the only thing that inclines you to marriage, but that inclination may be reduced by other factors besides love (e.g., not marrying a carny because he's not financially stable, even though you love him/her).

(2) Love is not the only thing that inclines you to marriage. Financial success, social status, some other pleasing factor are equal contributors to your inclination to marry a person (e.g., you would marry a person even if you didn't love them that much, but you loved their car or their money or whatever).

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This is a bit OT, but I want to know: for those that say love is not the only factor that would induce you to marriage, do you mean:

(1) Love is the only thing that inclines you to marriage, but that inclination may be reduced by other factors besides love (e.g., not marrying a carny because he's not financially stable, even though you love him/her).

(2) Love is not the only thing that inclines you to marriage. Financial success, social status, some other pleasing factor are equal contributors to your inclination to marry a person (e.g., you would marry a person even if you didn't love them that much, but you loved their car or their money or whatever).

I didn't marry the carnie because he was bat shit insane, not about the money. Money comes and goes and I don't factor that into my relationships...

For me, I would have to be in love with the person's character - this is a prerequisite. I would never marry someone I didn't love. But in addition, I need to feel that we are on the same path. Love doesn't guarantee understanding or compatibility. If I was in deeply in love with a man, and let's say he was adamant about having 10 children, I would have to pass. I love him enough to let him go and follow that path with someone else, but I love myself enough to not deny my own path. Does that make sense?

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I like the idea of INFPs, but I just don't enjoy their company. I'd rather have an INFJ.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What the INFP can bring to the ENTP... I have to admit I haven't figured that out yet. I don't mean that in an, "I'm so insecure I don't think INFPs are worthy" sense, but in a "I haven't pin pointed what ways I make their lives better" sense.

What my INFP ex brought me that I loved in him was the lack of pressure. He was laid back and not interested in drama, in that respect we were coming from the same place. I adore the INFJs in my life but I do feel judged by them at times, when I feel judged I hold back things in myself that I think they'd consider less than desirable. With my INFP there was never any expectations on me to be anything other than who I am, he wouldn’t do that to anyone, this meant I could be my quirky self without wondering if I was showing too much, meaning, I could let my Ne go crazy.

The main issue is the Fe relief function of the ENTP and how it can square off against the Dom Fi of an INFP. ENTPs poke and prod against the INFPs value system, trying to better understand it. I suspect this usually stems from a genuine curiosity in Fi. It's foreign, they want to know more, and INFPs are annoyingly persistent in keeping it hidden.

INFPs are distrustful and usually have a negative reaction to anyone forcing our values out before we are ready. We identify our values with who we are. So while we prefer to choose when to open up, ENTPs just want us to open up already.

That was a problem.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For me, I would have to be in love with the person's character - this is a prerequisite. I would never marry someone I didn't love. But in addition, I need to feel that we are on the same path. Love doesn't guarantee understanding or compatibility. If I was in deeply in love with a man, and let's say he was adamant about having 10 children, I would have to pass. I love him enough to let him go and follow that path with someone else, but I love myself enough to not deny my own path. Does that make sense?

That's actually a pretty awesome answer. I mean, hopefully you'd understand that I'd have to fluff that up with NFP gobbledygook (soulmates, existential connection, blah blah blah), but in essence, that's how I feel.

I like the idea of INFPs, but I just don't enjoy their company. I'd rather have an INFJ.

Hopefully you don't mind my asking, but why not? What is it about INFPs that doesn't work? What makes INFJs work where INFPs do not?

*genuinely curious*

What my INFP ex brought me that I loved in him was the lack of pressure. He was laid back and not interested in drama, in that respect we were coming from the same place. I adore the INFJs in my life but I do feel judged by them at times, when I feel judged I hold back things in myself that I think they'd consider less than desirable. With my INFP there was never any expectations on me to be anything other than who I am, he wouldn’t do that to anyone, this meant I could be my quirky self without wondering if I was showing too much, meaning, I could let my Ne go crazy.

In general, I tend to believe that ENTP/INFJ is a strong match, but in this regard I think INFP might actually be a better fit. If I trust your character, and you do something I disagree with, my reaction is to trust that you have a reasoning, viewpoint, or motivation I don't understand. My primary goal then becomes to understand why before passing judgement.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I didn't marry the carnie because he was bat shit insane, not about the money. Money comes and goes and I don't factor that into my relationships...

I actually wasn't referring specifically to you when I mentioned the carny...I just read it in your post and couldn't get the example out of my head.

As to your answer, I understand completely. I suppose, then, that your attitude technically falls under my (1) category, since love is a necessary but not sufficient requirement for marriage.

TheIdealIdealist

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm an INFP and I had a friend who was an ENTP I think the main problem was that he was just incredibly distracted all of the time, that unavailability was a rough spot, I take accountability for this too. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as much of an obstacle had I been more aggressive in trying to make the friendship work and being more extroverted when dealing with him and his schedule. But that being said it was hard to get a hold of him.

There were times when we had really good conversations, really thought provoking stuff about religion, scientific conversations about dimensions, relationships, etc. But I notice it was all rather random and all of these conversations happened at parties or random meetings around campus, nothing was ever planned. I kind of wanted something more concrete. In that matter I was always the one who had to extend myself and put myself out there and there were times when I felt rejected (which may just be my over sensitivity). But there were other times when he just disappeared and brushed off plans that were made. There was this one time when we were supposed to go to a party for my birthday that really hurt. But I hear that my be a common problem on the ENTP side.

There were times when I felt criticized just because I was unable to read him and I didn't understand the way he would communicate towards me, we actually got into an argument about that. I think that may have strained our communication because I often at times felt he was angry with me (when he probably wasn't) and I was under an impression that he didn't like me or didn't want me around, which is a problem with the INFP personality. So in that regard I can see how the power play comes in that was talked about in previous posts.

I always felt that he had all of the power in our friendship. I eventually stopped talking to him due to the power imbalance I felt. But there were a lot of good moments in our relationship as well. I remember there was one time when I had to go to the emergency room and he was there threw it all making jokes, he was with me in the room and I was extremely grateful for that, that's one of the reasons I tried for so long towards the end.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Of the extroverts, the ENTP is one of the most likely to give me space when I need or ask for it. I'd probably have less of an issue if I could just allow them to talk and not worry about if it will happen. Unfortunately I like to have some things to look forward to and so far I haven't found that anywhere near a strength in an ENTP.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
i like infps

they are unconfidant but they are smart. they just need to know that i wont put down everything they say. and if (when) i do, ill explain to them why i did what i did. i value infp opinions and ideas very much

theyd be the best people to work on a project with and then to out for a beer with afterwards....not so much when it comes to clubbing though

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Anything is possible, if you can dream it can become true. Love is endless... :wubbie:

----------

omfg, I need to go hit someone now FAST :D:D

:headphne:

atomisedmonk

Ahh I ceebs reading the thread so if I repeat some points... please forgive.

Okay, so. I've had my eye on an INFP for about a year, a year an half now. (Sidenote: is it weird for an ENTP to do this?) And though I find him incredibly sexy, his 'not giving anything way' annoys the fuck out of me. And is this with all INFPs but do they not use any smileys or exclamation marks? It's like they consciously choose to be cold or something... I don't care if it's to 'protect' themselves. (Sidenote 2: is Kristen Stewart an INFP?)

INFJs - now there's a generally warm, crackling fireplacey personality type. And now I can't be bothered explaining why. Probably come back to this tomorrow so stay tuned! :)