User Tag List

123 Last

Default Do I seem "grandiose?"

...or just ambitious?

What is Grandiosity? - Bipolar Disorder Symptoms

Question: What is Grandiosity?

Answer: Grandiosity is a symptom of mania or hypomania in bipolar disorder (aka manic depression). In the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual IV (DSM-IV), it is used in combination with several other symptoms to confirm a diagnosis of this disorder. This symptom also occurs in children with early onset bipolar disorder.

Roget's II: Thesaurus defines grandiosity as "boastful self-importance or display" and offers the words "ostentation," "pomposity" and "pretension" to further illustrate this definition. In short, it is an exaggerated sense of one's importance, power, knowledge or identity. It often has religious overtones. The term "grandiosity" is used to describe the larger-than-life feelings of superiority often experienced by those in a manic episode.

An Example of Grandiosity from our Community:
    I am a committed mother and wife. Yet I found myself embroiled in an affair that I thought was the equal to Abelard and Heloise, Lancelot and Guinevere ... I'm so embarrassed and ashamed of myself now.

I am a reasonably good writer and poet ... I thought I was an amazingly talented poet and writer. I composed music, wrote songs, wrote poems, etc. I thought I could do ANYTHING.

I thought God was talking to me in visions. I felt I had a special connection to the universe. I thought maybe I was becoming a Buddha.

--Pendulumgirl on our Main Forum

by Kimberly Read
    I thought my dreams, and long-term goals were merely ambitious, and perhaps a bit unrealistic. But I am wondering now if it is a symptom.

I am probably more candid here than anywhere else. So what do you people think? Am I grandiose? or merely ambitious?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Only people who think big can dream big. ..when you dream the impossible, anything is possible.
    The fear of poverty turns people into slaves of money.

"In this Caesar there are many Mariuses"~Sulla

Conquer your inner demons first before you conquer the world.

You don't come across as grandiose to me. Just smart and ambitious.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Grandiose people are often pretentious.

You do not seem pretentious, to me anyway.

MBTI
    INTP

No, I don't think so.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

no, not grandiose.... you're just hunting for potentials

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Ambition needn't be pardoned, my friend. So long as your vision does not unfairly trespass upon your brother, you needn't feel shame for it's existence -- especially from a vantage point as energetic as your own.

I can't imagine strength of will without some degree of fictive momentum to add sharpness to my aim. What would be the point? Realistic goals are implied facets of everyday life. Passion gives reason beyond what is immediately tangible.

Shame is not shameful, ygolo, so long as you appreciate its point of origin....

Why do you feel shame?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

What is the fascination with bipolar disorder? Something going on?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Sounds like ambition to me. It's like in what you are doing, you are displaying or expressing genuine feelings of incredibly important achievement. If you actually thought your current actions were going to be valued as incredible contributions to humanity, that could be an issue.

Simply following some dreams in a search for self-actualization would seem to be pretty healthy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    What is the fascination with bipolar disorder? Something going on?
    Is this specific to Ygolo or for people in general? For the latter, I've heard so many people references different ailments it seems it is becoming hip and "cool" to have something wrong with you.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w2

You are only grandiose if your plans don't follow through.

Stop reading the DSM Ygolo, will only make you paranoid. No looking that up either!!

"Beware Those Who Are ALWAYS READING BOOKS" - Bukowski