• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do I seem "grandiose?"

ygolo

My termites win
...or just ambitious?

What is Grandiosity? - Bipolar Disorder Symptoms

Question: What is Grandiosity?

Answer: Grandiosity is a symptom of mania or hypomania in bipolar disorder (aka manic depression). In the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual IV (DSM-IV), it is used in combination with several other symptoms to confirm a diagnosis of this disorder. This symptom also occurs in children with early onset bipolar disorder.

Roget's II: Thesaurus defines grandiosity as "boastful self-importance or display" and offers the words "ostentation," "pomposity" and "pretension" to further illustrate this definition. In short, it is an exaggerated sense of one's importance, power, knowledge or identity. It often has religious overtones. The term "grandiosity" is used to describe the larger-than-life feelings of superiority often experienced by those in a manic episode.

An Example of Grandiosity from our Community:
I am a committed mother and wife. Yet I found myself embroiled in an affair that I thought was the equal to Abelard and Heloise, Lancelot and Guinevere ... I'm so embarrassed and ashamed of myself now.

I am a reasonably good writer and poet ... I thought I was an amazingly talented poet and writer. I composed music, wrote songs, wrote poems, etc. I thought I could do ANYTHING.

I thought God was talking to me in visions. I felt I had a special connection to the universe. I thought maybe I was becoming a Buddha.

--Pendulumgirl on our Main Forum

by Kimberly Read

I thought my dreams, and long-term goals were merely ambitious, and perhaps a bit unrealistic. But I am wondering now if it is a symptom.

I am probably more candid here than anywhere else. So what do you people think? Am I grandiose? or merely ambitious?

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Only people who think big can dream big. ..when you dream the impossible, anything is possible.

wolfy

awsm
You don't come across as grandiose to me. Just smart and ambitious.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Grandiose people are often pretentious.

You do not seem pretentious, to me anyway.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
no, not grandiose.... you're just hunting for potentials

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Ambition needn't be pardoned, my friend. So long as your vision does not unfairly trespass upon your brother, you needn't feel shame for it's existence -- especially from a vantage point as energetic as your own.

I can't imagine strength of will without some degree of fictive momentum to add sharpness to my aim. What would be the point? Realistic goals are implied facets of everyday life. Passion gives reason beyond what is immediately tangible.

Shame is not shameful, ygolo, so long as you appreciate its point of origin....

Why do you feel shame?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
What is the fascination with bipolar disorder? Something going on?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Sounds like ambition to me. It's like in what you are doing, you are displaying or expressing genuine feelings of incredibly important achievement. If you actually thought your current actions were going to be valued as incredible contributions to humanity, that could be an issue.

Simply following some dreams in a search for self-actualization would seem to be pretty healthy to me.

What is the fascination with bipolar disorder? Something going on?

Is this specific to Ygolo or for people in general? For the latter, I've heard so many people references different ailments it seems it is becoming hip and "cool" to have something wrong with you.

Gamine

in-game
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
You are only grandiose if your plans don't follow through.

Stop reading the DSM Ygolo, will only make you paranoid. No looking that up either!!

:cheers:

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Having taken a limited course in abnormal psychology... You are, like, the opposite of bipolar, ygolo. And not grandiose (at least not in the DSMIV sense) either.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
No. And stop looking for "disorders" to belong to. You're just human. Human life is disorderly by nature. LIVE IT! :D

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Your sense for perfection tho jeff, is truly marvellous :D

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I didn't even realize you were ambitious. LOL. I haven't read you blog in a long time, though. No, you are not grandiose, you just spend too much time trying to label yourself. Peace!

ygolo

My termites win
Well, I am officially diagnosed as Bipolar II. But it is good to know I am not grandiose.

heart

heart on fire
I am probably more candid here than anywhere else. So what do you people think? Am I grandiose? or merely ambitious?

No, not grandiose. In fact, you seem more often like someone with timid visions who wants to push themselves to dare to dream and seek larger. I have admired your endeavors in this.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Try to enjoy things. I don't know you, but I do think we all have a tendency to overthink. When you're out in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere you realize that life is pretty simply. Birds do it, bees do it, etc. We just complicate it.