• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The NT Prejudice Against Feeling

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
So often, 'reason' carries with it a list of subconscious presuppositions that are largely based on feelings. How else could two rational people come to completely different conclusions? Because that which is a priori to their logical assessment is based on an individual perspective, which is by nature irrational.

juggernaut

Permabanned
Ahhh... but now where do we draw the line between following your gut/intuition and following your feelings? Does that make an NF more ridiculous than an SF?

That's an excellent point. I would say there is a distinct difference between gut-level responses/intuitions and emotional states. I am far more inclined to pay heed to the former as I see it as an alarm, or early detection system. Emotions as Humean violent (strong, not karate chop inducing) passions, on the other hand, I tend to see as slightly less useful. They often cloud one's judgment and prevent us from seeing the most effective or efficient way to navigate daily life. The calm passions (goals, desires and aversions based on reflection, and brain-storming in its early stages) do keep us moving in the direction we want to go though.

Obviously reason is inert without the passions. There's simply nothing to motivate it. Nevertheless, if reason becomes entirely enslaved by the passions you could end up a serial killer (or worse).

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I don't think I have a prejudice against feelers. In fact, I wish I were an NF of some sort...I still kind of wish I were INFP. Emotional self-awareness is a good thing to have (and I don't have it :().

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Obviously reason is inert without the passions. There's simply nothing to motivate it. Nevertheless, if reason becomes entirely enslaved by the passions you could end up a serial killer (or worse).

you could say the same the other way round. if passion/emotion/empathy is held entirely in a headlock by reason... well, you can rationalize anything if you've a mind to, with no conscience, no values or compassion to stop you...

juggernaut

Permabanned
^ Yes but there's nothing that would motivate you to do anything in the first place if you're without any feeling or emotion. There's nothing that would require rationalization if you're already being completely rational. You have to have a desire/behavior to rationalize, and that starts with the passions. There would be no reason to kill, maim, steal, abuse, etc. if one is operating solely based on reason.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
^ Yes but there's nothing that would motivate you to do anything in the first place if you're without any feeling or emotion. There's nothing that would require rationalization if you're already being completely rational. You have to have a desire/behavior to rationalize, and that starts with the passions. There would be no reason to kill, maim, steal, abuse, etc. if one is operating solely based on reason.

+1

I don't usually agree with you, but I like when we do.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was just gonna say you had a point, but I wasn't really thinking of there being NO emotions, an either one or the other situation, just more if one dominated the other too much. But I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with one dominating the other a bit, in daily life generally.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I was just gonna say you had a point, but I wasn't really thinking of there being NO emotions, an either one or the other situation, just more if one dominated the other too much. But I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with one dominating the other a bit, in daily life generally.

Which is fair, because if we're talking about humans, we can pretty much assume the presence of a basic basis of emotion.

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
I have pondered this question myself ... interesting to me how many NT's believe they make decisions based on pure logic. Just because you can't necessarily find, label or otherwise define your emotional state does not mean emotions are not there.

There seems to be this idea that being an NT means cutting loose from emotional motivations or values, as if this is even possible. Rational sense must work in concert with emotional sense to achieve wholeness as a person. There is really no division.

Well said.

As if being dispassionate is a virtue ...

Wonderful oxymoron.

I think a better question is "Can you be human and be dispassionate?"

A great question; again, a great oxymoron.

There would be no reason to kill, maim, steal, abuse, etc. if one is operating solely based on reason.

Disagree; reason exists to prove or disprove theory.

Reason without emotion, or some sort of moral compass, carries as much inherent danger as unbridled emotional reactions devoid of contemplation.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
THIS is what I think is the negative side to MBTI/Typing/Socionics.

It diminishes the role of all these things in a person... feeling shouldn't be measured against thinking. Everyone uses both. People don't fit into these neat, little 16 boxes. It's sad that we try to reduce it to this. There are so many other aspects to personality than just E/I N/S T/F P/J.

MBTI/Typing/Socionics has been boiled down to a mere gaming science. How to land an ENTP. How to seduce an INTP. It's very sad, and overwhelmingly manipulative...

I'm sorry I did this in your thread, Synarch. I've become entirely disillusioned with this pop-sci-chology.

Even the hardest "thinkers" have the most beautiful and deep feelings. It's not accurate/fair/right to say that a certain person doesn't utilize something more than other - considering it's something as universal as FEELINGS and THOUGHTS.

MBTI/Typing/Socionics seeks to make something so abstract and personal into something concrete. It's inaccurate. It's become a tool for manipulation. It's... a poor classification tool. It does not do what it was intended to do. And has become something... strange.

Moderation in everything. We should all seek to balance ourselves. But not like this. No excuses for behavior. We are all unique individuals. Some of us share somethings in common, but a set of letters shouldn't be one of them.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
i pretty much agree; i've always jokingly stated that the universe was made by TJs.

personally, i know feelings are sometimes useful, and i can remember many a times where they have helped me out of what would otherwise be a sticky situation (P gets me in trouble). that being said, i think that "feelings" are perhaps a wrong label for this. there are some "feelings" that i would not put as traits to F, but rather as traits to, say, P or S/N. like passion for instance: i don't believe passion is derived from F, but from P. whenever i get inspired, i get extremely passionate. and with that passion, i can create something artistic.

besides all that, i think many people (including NTs) are either lying to themselves about their feelings or ignoring them. feelings work in the spur of the moment, but if ignored, they will pass (likely held in a suppressive state).

also, synarch, i strangely agree with the quote in your sig. it defines a part of me well.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
THIS is what I think is the negative side to MBTI/Typing/Socionics.

It diminishes the role of all these things in a person... feeling shouldn't be measured against thinking. Everyone uses both. People don't fit into these neat, little 16 boxes. It's sad that we try to reduce it to this. There are so many other aspects to personality than just E/I N/S T/F P/J.

Agreed. But, complexity is hard to distill and capture so we must generalize and in generalizing we lose sight of actuality. But we gain perspective on patterns. However, we must be aware that we are not describing actuality. It is easy to apply these generalizations too widely.

MBTI/Typing/Socionics has been boiled down to a mere gaming science. How to land an ENTP. How to seduce an INTP. It's very sad, and overwhelmingly manipulative...

I think you may have a point here. It is worthy of a separate thread. Is type used to manipulate interpersonal scenarios? Please develop!

I'm sorry I did this in your thread, Synarch. I've become entirely disillusioned with this pop-sci-chology.

Well, what were your previous illusions? Maybe you need more skepticism. :devil: MBTi is not reality. I see it more as a filter.

Moderation in everything. We should all seek to balance ourselves. But not like this. No excuses for behavior. We are all unique individuals. Some of us share somethings in common, but a set of letters shouldn't be one of them.

Agreed, but it is difficult to talk outside of generalities. Even the words we use are generalities. Blunt instruments bent to the task of precision and clarity. They fail as all generalizations fail, but we are not wrong-headed in making an attempt to systemize and understand. But, agreed, we are more than our "types" and it is helpful of you to remind us of such.

Ardea

o edward cullen!
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Thanks. :)

Why, oh why do you understand?

Last edited:

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
This is all speculation on my behalf.
MBTI presents someones preference in percentages up to a hundred with the potential of beeing all 100% in something. i see someones preferences up to 54% max in any preference except maybe judging/perceiving where i think it could be as high as 75%. The feeling/thinking preference is only maxed at 51.5% tops, one way or the other, for anyone imo.

The feeling, be it Fe or Fi, is surely there for me. The difference imo is that the 48.1% of the feeler i really think i am only accounts for roughly 20% of the decisions/choices i make.