• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs and employment skills!

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Hello!!!

I need your help as on thursday i've got an job interview for my first job. Its with BVT which are basically the only UK manufacturer of aircraft carriers and a lot of other naval boats. Its called cost engineering which i figured from the description is like finance and accounting and marketing all mixed in one strange bundle.

The reason i need help is because it being my first job they can't exactly talk about past job experience so i'm guessing they will talk a lot about personal strengths and weaknesses as well as hypothetical situations. So i figured that i could use typology to help me think of all my strengths and weaknesses and how i'd react in hypothetical situations.

So i wanted ask what are the strengths and weaknesses of an ENTP (or INTP) employment wise?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
entp and employement skills = awesome. I never never got a job.

For my current job I went drunk to the job interview with a lot of parfume to cover the stench from last nites birthday party and I ruuuuled !

Dont worry, piece of cake !

sculpting

entp and employement skills = awesome. I never never got a job.

For my current job I went drunk to the job interview with a lot of parfume to cover the stench from last nites birthday party and I ruuuuled !

Dont worry, piece of cake !

dont listen to him, this will never work at all.

why are u going to work in finance for gods sake that sounds agonizing.

Talk about how much u love to do the same stuff over and over and over and over and over again and you should be okay.

sculpting

But it worked !

i think it was a lfike, a fluke.

I mean he is going into finance where all the SJs live. fuckin loons I tell you.

Run away!

my god i looked again, it's cost engineering. fuck the poor person will end uup accounting for savings of like screws anbs shit and trying save pennies on pink highlighters.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am currently in finance too. SJ world, that's the advantage :)

But you are right the job sucks, I am just there cause it pays alot

Qre:us

Um...what's the position you're applying for specifically?

sculpting

I am currently in finance too. SJ world, that's the advantage :)

But you are right the job sucks, I am just there cause it pays alot

you poor soul my god have mercy upon you.

The finance department is my worst painful chunk o company.

Are you trapped and surrounded by the SJs? They have such value in such little black and white boxes. so neat, so well defined.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The thing is they dont know jack about computers and I am working basically for my town which wants to boost business in the town in general. Most of the business is engineering which the SJs again know nothing about. I have got a lot of jokers to play :D

sculpting

ah, you are the key to the system.

they require you and thus the whole system functions.

some of our oracle folks are like this, pure entps who hide out to themselves but keep the whole cluster running.

do you get mostly independnt fuunctioning?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Hmprf, ok you got me, I totally suck and only follow orders... Thanks for picking the bubble...

sculpting

Hmprf, ok you got me, I totally suck and only follow orders... Thanks for picking the bubble...

no no silly, do you get to be independent? That's what I see entps in these types of groups doing. They step into niches that no one else can fill and then get to make progress and change as they are the only ones who can do the job correctly. the vision is mandetory sometimes...

if not you should consider consulting of some sort. Sjs love consultants and the best ones I have seen are all entps. You get to step in and tell them what to do and they love to follow a knowledgable expert.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Wait til I get into your lair, I am gonna kick their arses and be your first prime :D

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Hello!!!

I need your help as on thursday i've got an job interview for my first job. Its with BVT which are basically the only UK manufacturer of aircraft carriers and a lot of other naval boats. Its called cost engineering which i figured from the description is like finance and accounting and marketing all mixed in one strange bundle.

The reason i need help is because it being my first job they can't exactly talk about past job experience so i'm guessing they will talk a lot about personal strengths and weaknesses as well as hypothetical situations. So i figured that i could use typology to help me think of all my strengths and weaknesses and how i'd react in hypothetical situations.

So i wanted ask what are the strengths and weaknesses of an ENTP (or INTP) employment wise?

Like entropie, I've gotten every job I've ever applied for, often with no experience. But I'm a genius at faking it till I make it - that's my one talent. I don't know what kind of advice to give you other than to be confident and sound competent. I smile a lot and always engage my interviewer.

In this stage of my life, I hire (and fire) a lot of people. Whether good or bad, I look for people who give answers that I have given in the past, or exhibit the following behavior:

-make direct eye contact with the person who asked you the question. At least for the first few seconds of your response. To me, that shows you have nothing to hide.
-always admit right away if you don't know something. But phrase it that you don't know it yet
-state that you are not afraid to ask for help if you are stuck.
-stress that you are eager to learn and that you learn things very quickly (which I'm assuming you do). Come prepared with examples, but don't offer that information unless asked - it seems arrogant, which leads to next point...
-don't be arrogant or smug!! Never laugh at a question or feel you are too good to answer it.
-tell them about your work ethic and how that, at the end of the day, it's not the amount of money you made, but your pride in a job well done.
-I always say that I work well in teams, but I excel when given an independent task.
-my weakness is being a bit of a perfectionist, but not at the expense of missing a deadline
-that you are not a clockwatcher and will stay until the job is complete
-that you are friendly and congenial

At the end, they'll ask if you have any questions. Make sure you have some. The Q&A should last no more than 5-7 mins on your end. Briefly hit the following topics:
-research the company and ask relevant questions. Questions should include the overall industry - don't go in there acting like you know how the biz works - be humble. Ask questions about the company's atmosphere and ask very specific questions about the team that you'll be working with (how many people, how long they have been there...) Make sure you find out what the team's goals are.
-ask the interviewer how long he's been with the company and if he started his career there.
-ask what they are looking for in a teammate, and what your responsibilities will be, if he hasn't told you already
-and by all means, take notes (even if you are just scribbling) it makes the person feel that you are paying attention.

I don't know if this will apply for you, but this is how I've gotten jobs and this is what I look for when I'm hiring. Good luck!!

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
-my weakness is being a bit of a perfectionist, but not at the expense of missing a deadline

say that without using the word 'perfectionist'

using perfectionist as a weakness is an interview cliche now...avoid it all costs if you dont know what your talking bout...though you should mention it at the end when they ask you if theres anything else you wanna say

other than that, yeah pretty much what she said

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Thanks, ThisGuy - you are definitely correct. I was trying to be succinct, but please use your own words in your own voice and avoid cliches....