User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram

Default INTs take the MBTI more seriously than other types?

I've noticed this with INT's the most, that the MBTI becomes something like the bible. And what I mean by that is looking at the MBTI as more of a cookie cutter system, first and foremost than as a spectrum.

As seen by the INTJ forums, and the typology central INTP forums, it seems to be popular among INT's. And from sitting on both forums for a while, it seems to be a way to gather self worth (at least for a large minority).

Perhaps its just a field that more INTs feel attracted to? And that large masses of any single type will incur such behavior? Iím not sure.

Again, not every INT (I'm not even necessarily claiming the majority) but relative to other letter formations, this seems to be the case. (this isn't derived from typology definition, but just from what I've seen from others who knew about the MBTI)

Anyways, your thoughts?

Agree, Disagree? And why?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

That's probably true of certain really insecure INTs...but I've seen more INFs take it too far, personally. Some of them don't really understand its inherent limitations.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

I love MBTI.

Actually, taking a look at the member stats for this site, it's not INTs, rather its INPs that are most interested, followed by INJs.

Likely because, INPs tend to be the most introspective, Ji leads them to try and figure themselves out, and typology is a tool to do that. INJs aren't as drawn to that it seems. But for both INPs and INJs, there are a slight bit more Ts. Probably because Ts are drawn more to the systematic elements, and less likely to resent the stereotyping and generalizing.

And stuff.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INTJ

I may be attracted to it because the INTJ description is the only place outside of the DSM-IV where my personality traits are compiled on a single page. I'm afraid that by taking it with any degree of seriousness at all, I'm taking it with more seriousness than it deserves.

I would agree with the OP's overall assessment, but I've seen several NFs and ENTPs on these boards who take the MBTI very seriously. Without any statistics, I have nothing but what I've seen here to go on.

The MBTI classification scheme is, by construction, unfalsifiable (it is said that we should expect departures from the listed behaviors by almost everyone, and there are several apologies made for the fact that people will frequently score differently upon taking the test a second time or even when they're in a different mood). There are some predictions about the classification scheme's types which are falsifiable however (predictions of relationship success or failure based on types, for example), but unfortunately they have been falsified. The MBTI is widely considered an unacceptable psychometric evaluation by psychiatrists, as well.

I wouldn't even go as far as to say that it is a good predictor of certain professions. It's true, for example, that you'll find an overrepresentation of NTs in mathematics departments, but this isn't a proper prediction since the test asks, sometimes explicitly, whether you work abstractly and in generality. It may as well ask "are you an abstract thinker?" and then, upon obtaining an answer of "yes" declare "People who are employed as abstract thinkers answered 'yes' on our test!" That's not a prediction.

The questions are context-free and the test is self-reporting, and this is problematic by itself.

I think the MBTI is good at telling you what your score is on the MBTI.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I don't really like how I've seen the other members regard the MBTI as the bible, especially how it seems people are stereotypically labeled into their type based off of every action they take.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    I would agree with the OP's overall assessment, but I've seen several NFs and ENTPs on these boards who take the MBTI very seriously. Without any statistics, I have nothing but what I've seen here to go on.
    Yup.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleph-One View Post
    I'm taking it with more seriousness than it deserves.
    [...]
    The MBTI classification scheme is, by construction, unfalsifiable (it is said that we should expect departures from the listed behaviors by almost everyone, and there are several apologies made for the fact that people will frequently score differently upon taking the test a second time or even when they're in a different mood). There are some predictions about the classification scheme's types which are falsifiable however (predictions of relationship success or failure based on types, for example), but unfortunately they have been falsified. The MBTI is widely considered an unacceptable psychometric evaluation by psychiatrists, as well.
    Very Te perspective. Which is one reason INTPs seem to like it more than INTJs. They put less emphasis on it being falsifiable, tested empirically, all that stuff. We care more about, "does it make sense to us?"
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    I don't really like how I've seen the other members regard the MBTI as the bible, especially how it seems people are stereotypically labeled into their type based off of every action they take.
    That's exactly right. I think the MBTI is fueled by subjective validation and, especially, the Barnum Effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Very Te perspective. Which is one reason INTPs seem to like it more than INTJs. They put less emphasis on it being falsifiable, tested empirically, all that stuff. We care more about, "does it make sense to us?"
    Yes, that's the subjective validation part. If it helps to organize your thoughts, that's alright. I've found that it can sometimes be helpful in negotiations with people to classify them by their type (or what I think is their type). But I'm really using this as a kind of abbreviation for whether they are likely to be so concrete as to become contemptuous of a theoretical approach to whatever problem we face, whether they're likely to be domineering or amenable, etc. The MBTI, lacking predictions, does still function as an abbreviation of those traits. But beyond that, I think it absolutely requires falsifiability. As I will probably say several times here, a statement which can't be countermined by the configuration of the world says nothing of practical use about it -- so a requirement of falsifiability isn't simply an arbitrary preference.

[Edit]: I have adjusted my type accordingly. Now I must make a careful assessment of what brought me to this forum in the first place, since it was clearly an act of hypocrisy or neurosis. This will not do.
    Aleph-One, you look like the kind of person who would spend his spare time building a giant robot to hold the government for ransom. -Some Guy on the Internet

Banned

I don't think the MBTI should be viewed as anything more than a very rough taxonomic system. There are no natural kinds involved here, just fuzzy sets.

I think it just plays to their strengths more. Theoretical, analytical, self examining etc... Just like I'm sure you would probably find more SJ on cooking forums, SP on sports or mechanical forums or TJ on business, investing forums.

I don't think though that many take it as a bible or anything close. I think for most here it is viewed as an imperfect but interesting tool to better understand yourself and others.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I "utilize" MBTI because of all the different things ive studied in psych throughout the years, its the ONE thing I'd say really gives me a "one up" advantage in the real world. Learning how to "act and talk" sensorish has been one of the most valuable lifelong discoveries for me, and I wouldn't have understand WTF that is w/o the theory.