• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTs take the MBTI more seriously than other types?

cogdecree

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
I've noticed this with INT's the most, that the MBTI becomes something like the bible. And what I mean by that is looking at the MBTI as more of a cookie cutter system, first and foremost than as a spectrum.

As seen by the INTJ forums, and the typology central INTP forums, it seems to be popular among INT's. And from sitting on both forums for a while, it seems to be a way to gather self worth (at least for a large minority).

Perhaps its just a field that more INTs feel attracted to? And that large masses of any single type will incur such behavior? I’m not sure.

Again, not every INT (I'm not even necessarily claiming the majority) but relative to other letter formations, this seems to be the case. (this isn't derived from typology definition, but just from what I've seen from others who knew about the MBTI)

Anyways, your thoughts?

Agree, Disagree? And why?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's probably true of certain really insecure INTs...but I've seen more INFs take it too far, personally. Some of them don't really understand its inherent limitations.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I love MBTI.

Actually, taking a look at the member stats for this site, it's not INTs, rather its INPs that are most interested, followed by INJs.

Likely because, INPs tend to be the most introspective, Ji leads them to try and figure themselves out, and typology is a tool to do that. INJs aren't as drawn to that it seems. But for both INPs and INJs, there are a slight bit more Ts. Probably because Ts are drawn more to the systematic elements, and less likely to resent the stereotyping and generalizing.

And stuff.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
I may be attracted to it because the INTJ description is the only place outside of the DSM-IV where my personality traits are compiled on a single page. I'm afraid that by taking it with any degree of seriousness at all, I'm taking it with more seriousness than it deserves.

I would agree with the OP's overall assessment, but I've seen several NFs and ENTPs on these boards who take the MBTI very seriously. Without any statistics, I have nothing but what I've seen here to go on.

The MBTI classification scheme is, by construction, unfalsifiable (it is said that we should expect departures from the listed behaviors by almost everyone, and there are several apologies made for the fact that people will frequently score differently upon taking the test a second time or even when they're in a different mood). There are some predictions about the classification scheme's types which are falsifiable however (predictions of relationship success or failure based on types, for example), but unfortunately they have been falsified. The MBTI is widely considered an unacceptable psychometric evaluation by psychiatrists, as well.

I wouldn't even go as far as to say that it is a good predictor of certain professions. It's true, for example, that you'll find an overrepresentation of NTs in mathematics departments, but this isn't a proper prediction since the test asks, sometimes explicitly, whether you work abstractly and in generality. It may as well ask "are you an abstract thinker?" and then, upon obtaining an answer of "yes" declare "People who are employed as abstract thinkers answered 'yes' on our test!" That's not a prediction.

The questions are context-free and the test is self-reporting, and this is problematic by itself.

I think the MBTI is good at telling you what your score is on the MBTI.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't really like how I've seen the other members regard the MBTI as the bible, especially how it seems people are stereotypically labeled into their type based off of every action they take.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
I would agree with the OP's overall assessment, but I've seen several NFs and ENTPs on these boards who take the MBTI very seriously. Without any statistics, I have nothing but what I've seen here to go on.

Yup.

I'm taking it with more seriousness than it deserves.
[...]
The MBTI classification scheme is, by construction, unfalsifiable (it is said that we should expect departures from the listed behaviors by almost everyone, and there are several apologies made for the fact that people will frequently score differently upon taking the test a second time or even when they're in a different mood). There are some predictions about the classification scheme's types which are falsifiable however (predictions of relationship success or failure based on types, for example), but unfortunately they have been falsified. The MBTI is widely considered an unacceptable psychometric evaluation by psychiatrists, as well.

Very Te perspective. ;) Which is one reason INTPs seem to like it more than INTJs. They put less emphasis on it being falsifiable, tested empirically, all that stuff. We care more about, "does it make sense to us?"

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't really like how I've seen the other members regard the MBTI as the bible, especially how it seems people are stereotypically labeled into their type based off of every action they take.
That's exactly right. I think the MBTI is fueled by subjective validation and, especially, the Barnum Effect.
Very Te perspective. ;) Which is one reason INTPs seem to like it more than INTJs. They put less emphasis on it being falsifiable, tested empirically, all that stuff. We care more about, "does it make sense to us?"
Yes, that's the subjective validation part. If it helps to organize your thoughts, that's alright. I've found that it can sometimes be helpful in negotiations with people to classify them by their type (or what I think is their type). But I'm really using this as a kind of abbreviation for whether they are likely to be so concrete as to become contemptuous of a theoretical approach to whatever problem we face, whether they're likely to be domineering or amenable, etc. The MBTI, lacking predictions, does still function as an abbreviation of those traits. But beyond that, I think it absolutely requires falsifiability. As I will probably say several times here, a statement which can't be countermined by the configuration of the world says nothing of practical use about it -- so a requirement of falsifiability isn't simply an arbitrary preference.

[Edit]: I have adjusted my type accordingly. Now I must make a careful assessment of what brought me to this forum in the first place, since it was clearly an act of hypocrisy or neurosis. This will not do.

juggernaut

Permabanned
I don't think the MBTI should be viewed as anything more than a very rough taxonomic system. There are no natural kinds involved here, just fuzzy sets.

Frank

I think it just plays to their strengths more. Theoretical, analytical, self examining etc... Just like I'm sure you would probably find more SJ on cooking forums, SP on sports or mechanical forums or TJ on business, investing forums.

I don't think though that many take it as a bible or anything close. I think for most here it is viewed as an imperfect but interesting tool to better understand yourself and others.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
I "utilize" MBTI because of all the different things ive studied in psych throughout the years, its the ONE thing I'd say really gives me a "one up" advantage in the real world. Learning how to "act and talk" sensorish has been one of the most valuable lifelong discoveries for me, and I wouldn't have understand WTF that is w/o the theory.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yes, that's the subjective validation part. If it helps to organize your thoughts, that's alright. I've found that it can sometimes be helpful in negotiations with people to classify them by their type (or what I think is their type). But I'm really using this as a kind of abbreviation for whether they are likely to be so concrete as to become contemptuous of a theoretical approach to whatever problem we face, whether they're likely to be domineering or amenable, etc. The MBTI, lacking predictions, does still function as an abbreviation of those traits. But beyond that, I think it absolutely requires falsifiability. As I will probably say several times here, a statement which can't be countermined by the configuration of the world says nothing of practical use about it -- so a requirement of falsifiability isn't simply an arbitrary preference.

Well, I think it has more validity beyond just the 4 dichotomies. The functions really aid in understanding. But how to prove that? It obviously makes sense to me. The data fits the theoretical construct I have in my head. But it's not an easily externally explained model.

Even that of course, is explained by my model. A Ti vs Te difference. But do these things actually exist? Doesn't really matter. It explains and reveals patterns that do exist in the world.

Course, note that my model isn't really MBTI, it's a conglomeration of a bunch of different sources, including large part personal observations.

imo

[Edit]: I have adjusted my type accordingly. Now I must make a careful assessment of what brought me to this forum in the first place, since it was clearly an act of hypocrisy or neurosis. This will not do.

Heh. My type was ARSE for a while.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Cuz INTs are capable of taking it seriously.

Aware of the limitations.
Can understand the questions.
Can answer the questions appropriately.
Can see it playing out around them.

It's an intellectual model with some degree of expressive depth.

And INTs got that crappy F side. Gotta have something recognisable to take that place.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
Even that of course, is explained by my model. A Ti vs Te difference. But do these things actually exist? Doesn't really matter. It explains and reveals patterns that do exist in the world.
Mmmm. Instrumentalism. :heart:

Really, my demand isn't that they are real (I couldn't justifiably demand this of many objects in science), just that we have a way of quantifying those predictions in a way that will let us put them to controlled experiment.

I've decided that it was neurotic introspection which drove me here. I've been under a lot of stress lately, and if I have to work seven day weeks for more than a month and a half, it causes an emo episode :emot-emo:. I must have latched on to the MBTI as a result. But I'll stick around because I like some of you people. :chillpill: :headphne:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
With me, it was first: AHA! I am not a complete anomaly freakshow, and there are others like me, and I am not lazy and snobbish because I don't act like the people that surround me. Then it opened up and became a way that is kind of a shorthand for helping me understand people. I do know that there are variations and people are unique, but having a baseline helps me to accommodate others' way of operating. Systems like that are a great value to the INTP way of thinking.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
INT like because there the loners of society and to find out that your not "thinking wrong" and that there are others like you is great!

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
And INTs got that crappy F side. Gotta have something recognisable to take that place.

Good point! For an INT MBTI is the nearest thing to a systematic explanation of feeling which there dream!

L

Lasting_Pain

I find and use the MBTI as a basic foundation for approaching situations, communication, and understanding and predicting behavior. It is but the outline of a larger system. If something better comes along the way then I will be proud to switch, but till then the MBTI is a source of knowledge and understanding no matter how subjective it may be.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think it quite possible. Not all, of course, but I think trends show that the more serious forum members here are INT's. It makes sense, too. Good topic, it's interesting.

edit: and not only more seriously, but I think, in general, that INTs have a far better understanding that a lot of other types. Some of the smartest forum members here are INTs.

L

Lasting_Pain

I think it quite possible. Not all, of course, but I think trends show that the more serious forum members here are INT's. It makes sense, too. Good topic, it's interesting.

edit: and not only more seriously, but I think, in general, that INTs have a far better understanding that a lot of other types. Some of the smartest forum members here are INTs.

Yeah I have noticed that. But I do see a lot of intellectual INFPs and INFJs too.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I love the MBTI as a means of understanding and celebrating the differences and the unique strengths of all kinds of people. The understanding that all people can contribute something of value even though that might be different from you and the fact that we aren't "broken" if we don't fit into the perfect ES_J mold.

Beyond that it's just a plaything.