• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] sensor-type of music that you like

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I've always wondered what it is about Tom Petty that I love so much, since I can't stand most other pop music. And I wanted to know what types of S type music you all like to compare...

I'll list some:

David Gray
Tom Petty
Rush
The Ting Tings

If you think this is a bad thread, F you.

squibbles

MBTI Type
INTJ
What is "S-type" music?

For that matter, what is "N-type" music? I've never heard of that before...?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you think this is a bad thread, F you.

Boy, you're just a barrel of laughs, aren't ya!

Hannah Montana
The Fat Boys
Poison

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Not really sure what constitutes sensor music, but I adore Tom Petty, and I think he's a great songwriter. I always think about him being the same type of songwriter Johnny Cash was.

Shaula

Te > Fi > Ni
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Technically, isn't all music sensor music?

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
omg did you see Disorderlies??

Classic!

Sadly yes and unbelievably I have also seen Tougher than leather, Crush Groove and Beat Street.

In fact, the first rap tape I ever bought was Fat Boys first (the year it came out) cassette!

And yes, what is sensor music, is that like Brittany Spears or something?

fatboys.jpg

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
^ hey i like that song. however that video is not "if you seek amy", it is "do somethin".

britneyfan4lyfe

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sensor-type music to me is diatonic music, and is music that is enjoyed for reasons other than complexity. Beauty in simplicity. Music that sensors more often enjoy, and that intuitives more often dislike.

Different people see it differently, but my point still stays the same. Artists that are outliers in the pool of artists you listen to.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
I like minimalist compositions, my xSyz acquaintances do not. I don't think lack of complexity is grounds for classifying a kind of music as more to the tastes of sensate functions than intuition.

Actaully, I doubt it can be done at all.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Actaully, I doubt it can be done at all.

What, classifying types of music among S/N types?

Yeah, probably not. I remember the INTP profile mentioning Fe- and Si-stimulating music. I was going along those lines...

L

Lasting_Pain

I listen to rap so if I were to listen to s type music I guess that would be listening to music with catchy lyrics and a knocking beat.

But since I like N type music, I mostly listen to complex rhymes and extended metaphors stretched over 16 bars of masterful writing.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Strangely enough, a lot of INTPs seem to like electronica and death metal, both of which I can't stand. A lot of what I like isn't very deep, maybe, but there's a lot of complexity to the music itself, once you take it apart. A lot of classic rock falls into this category. What I can't stand about electronica is that they've standardized the drum and bass parts, therefore automatically removing a large chunk of the foundation of an interesting song.

One thing I love about the early Beatles stuff is that the songs were so seemingly simple (She loves you / Yeah, yeah, yeah), but they had a raw power and interesting chord progressions and fabulous high-third harmonies.

You mentioned Tom Petty earlier--most of his songs are just three or four easy chords, it's true. But he really is a master of language and telling a story in the most economical, but memorable, way possible. It's like he's having a conversation with his listeners, which is MUCH harder to do than it seems.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
What I can't stand about electronica is that they've standardized the drum and bass parts, therefore automatically removing a large chunk of the foundation of an interesting song.

I agree, especially when it's the standard 4/4 bass drum rhythm over and over again, I hate that. But electronic music is such a large genre, which has a bad excellent:crap ratio because it's so easy to make electronic music, but I really think there is something in there for everyone. The label really only refers to the method used to make the music. You might like something like Shpongle.

Just because it's in my head now:

Sensor electronic music:

Trance
House
Breaks
Drum'n'bass

iNtuitive electronic music:
Psytrance
Chillout
Intelligent Dance Music
Trip Hop
Downtempo