User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Humour is also a veiled attempt at domination. It's like how guys say if you can get a woman to laugh, you can get her into bed. It's also part of the reason why men don't like funny women. I've been analysing everything back to fundamentals lately. It's kinda depressing.
    If this were actually true I'd be rubbing it raw all across town...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    I think the real problem is that I'm insecure about what I'm feeling, which leads me to a certain ironic detachment. I mildly jab at the object of my insecurity, using the tools more comfortable to me -- the thinking and the intuition -- to probe out the nature of the threat. See what response I get. Mine for information, so I can figure out what to make of the situation.

There may be some other aspect as well. A certain element of showing off. Here, I'm interested enough to think about you. Here's an origami swan made out of your flaws. I notice them, and that's fine. They don't bother me; they entertain me. You're human, and that's cool.

I don't know. There's a bunch going on here, it looks like.
    omg that is ridiculously hysterical!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I was conceding there was something to it, though there was a bit more nuance than you were suggesting. The distinction is between the intent and the content. Ultimately this isn't about control over the other; it's about control over the self. Though the method is indeed aggressive.

I must wonder why you're fixated on the idea, but you're not completely barking up the wrong tree.
    I wouldn't say it was fixation, more fascination. I like making sense of seemingly senseless behaviour. You're resisting because you don't like the implications. But all interactions between social animals involve negotiation/reinforcement of power/status.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    If this were actually true I'd be rubbing it raw all across town...
    I'll have to take your word for it that you make people laugh ( intentionally). But I would have thought your lofty principles forbade behaviour so crude.

You are one conflicted dude.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Thing is, so far as I can tell I'm approaching this pretty dispassionately, yet you keep hammering this point with a certainty that, to me, raises more questions about your motivations than mine. You start off with a flat declaration, then you highlight any half a sentence I write that supports it, while ignoring the surrounding context. It's a bit puzzling.

Your implication, if I understand you correctly, is that on some level I'm intent on invading her territory, and imposing my will on her. I'm willing to entertain this notion, but so far I'm not seeing it and you're not doing much but declaring back at me.

What I'm seeing, on my end, is just an attempt to declare independence; to say "I'm not afraid of you," and chase the barbarians back across the border. Then once things are at an even keel, proper diplomacy can begin across that border.

If there's something more ominous going on, I'd like to hear your explanation. What precisely do you think is the end goal here, and through what process?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^ Why, a home run, of course!

I always come off way more certain than I am. But you started out saying you had no idea about why you behave as you do around women you like. And I had an idea, which I shared. I don't see any of this as ominous. You're colouring it with an intent that simply isn't there. Of course I'm gonna seize on anything that supports my argument.
    Kick the idea around, not the poster.
    No time to expand, might post more later.

Overall, the reflex -- we'll call it "white insults" -- seems more defensive than offensive; it's not out of a direct intent to impose on the other party.

That said, pacification and placation are kind of what I fall back on when I'm feeling very overwhelmed, and I like to avoid that if possible, as it means I lose some feeling of control over myself -- a control that is really hard-won for me.

Jabbing out like this is an attempt to respond to the threat, while retaining some self-possession. Though again the intent of the communication isn't to impose, the content of the message is one of possession over her -- "look, I can do this to you if I want to".

I think the overall message may translate to a playful "See; you screw with me, I can screw with you. If I want to. So watch out, unless you want more of this. And if you do... er. Well, then we'll figure that out later."
    What is the expected response to these sorts of jabs? For instance I told an INTP I missed my flight and via email he made funny jabs at me about not being able to read and then asked if I had brain damage. At first I was taken aback for a few seconds but then swooped in with crazy Ne-Fi and told him that illiteracy combined with brain damage was what made my career in marketing so successful, then made fun of myself a bit longer.

Does the INTP expect a joke, a witty reply in turn or will self depreciation (in a good way of course) be okay? Not sure what the expectation is here.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

In my experience, they've done crazy, off-the-wall, INTP-specific things like say "I like you."

I... suppose. Yeah!

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    What is the expected response to these sorts of jabs? For instance I told an INTP I missed my flight and via email he made funny jabs at me about not being able to read and then asked if I had brain damage. At first I was taken aback for a few seconds but then swooped in with crazy Ne-Fi and told him that illiteracy combined with brain damage was what made my career in marketing so successful, then made fun of myself a bit longer.

Does the INTP expect a joke, a witty reply in turn or will self depreciation (in a good way of course) be okay? Not sure what the expectation is here.
    I'd go the old-fashioned route: blame it on him.

I... suppose. Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    I'd go the old-fashioned route: blame it on him.
    Well it was his fault. He kept me rather preoccupied and distracted...