• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Baffling argument with INTP

Typology

MBTI Type
epyT
Enneagram
I'm having visions of a shelf full of talking heads. :D

futurama_cartman.jpg

More or less?

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
More or less?

HAHA! Perfection. Although I'm sure you're all much better looking.

Additionally, I'm going to have to add Misty_Mountain_Rose to my collection of INTJ's. Her comments on the English Language are making me hyperventilate.

Thank you all for your thoughts. :)

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Today it was an argument over the word "stupid." The INTP said that someone is stupid because of an opinion that person holds. (The INTP says this person is being juvenile and forming sweeping opinions that do not make any sense based on the information available.)

I said the person is being stupid, but that we can't say he is stupid. To me, saying a person is stupid means they're 100% stupid, all the time. I think the person is just stupid in this particular case.

Good trees produce good fruit. Bad trees produce bad fruit. You can't say, that's a good tree, it just has bad fruit. Now, if the tree only produces a bad apple here and there with an abundance of good apples, then I agree with you in that it is just the particular apple that is bad, and not a reflection of the whole tree. But if there is bad apple after bad apple, then it is a bad apple tree.

Alrischa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
My INTP friend says that saying someone is stupid is the same as saying the person is being stupid. In typical fashion, he gave me this link to the dictionary definition of stupid. stupid - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

So, NT's, who do you think is right, and what did I say that was so frustrating?

All I can say is, the opinion one holds does not necessarily reflect the capabilities of their brain. So score one for OP.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
btw in german we don't have a generic word like "being" (that could be added to "are"). we would most likely make a distinction by talking either about the person "you are stupid" or about his deed "that was a stupid statement" ... naturally we chose the first quite often :D

ey, du bist ja bescheuert! denk doch mal nach!
dude, you are quite moronic! use your mind, for a change!

well, we could say: you are "talking" stupid, which is the closest thing to "being", but not as generic.

du redest dummes zeug. nimm deine medikamente.
you are talking stupid crap. take your medication

so in english you can say two words (you are), before you decide whether you want to insult the person or refer to his action. in german you have to rephrase the whole sentence

Du bist .... Du bist .... du bist im Irrtum :D

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
OK, Nanook, you are cordially invited to join my collection, though I don't know how to say it in German. :)

MBTI Type
ENTP
So, NT's, who do you think is right, and what did I say that was so frustrating?

If the INTP was me, I would be frustrated by the fact that you are pretending to argue definitions when really you're trying to police a particular phrasing of a word just because you consider it offensive. I doubt you apply the same standard to the word "nice".
"oh hey, you should say Joe is "being nice" not that he is nice. We all know he's not nice all the time. Just sayin'."

Wiley45

MBTI Type
INFP
If the INTP was me, I would be frustrated by the fact that you are pretending to argue definitions when really you're trying to police a particular phrasing of a word just because you consider it offensive. I doubt you apply the same standard to the word "nice".
"oh hey, you should say Joe is "being nice" not that he is nice. We all know he's not nice all the time. Just sayin'."

I don't think I was pretending to argue definitions, although maybe he viewed it that way. I was indeed offended, however, and trying to "police" phrasing. I felt it was morally wrong to call someone stupid without knowing that person. I also felt it was inconsistent, as the INTP was calling the INTJ stupid for making a sweeping judgement, while the INTP himself was making a sweeping judgement.