User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Silentium View Post
    I consider you to be right, though the argument seems overly focussed on semantics. Colloquial uses of phrasings and verbs mildly change the meanings, at times, though not if you look at them from a technical, grammatical point of view.
    This is one of the reasons my friend gets annoyed with me - semantics. He is always throwing that term around and saying that my arguments don't count because they're just semantics. How do I improve this problem? Just try to focus less on getting into the fine details of what words mean to individuals?

My apologies to those who are annoyed by this thread, because I know it's a little trivial, but I'm trying very hard to learn how to argue intelligently and be better at talking with thinking types. I've learned a lot about logical fallacies, etc. and have learned not to make emotional appeals or talk in circles, but sometimes I still frustrate NT's and get a little baffled as to what I said that was incorrect or poor arguing.

Lasting_Pain

Actually after contemplating on the matter being stupid and is stupid can be one in the same. Both are accounting for the state of time.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Pffft. I agree with you on that distinction. And I disagree with the dictionary all the time. I'm always right too.
    You agree with me, so you must be right.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    Sometimes I have these baffling arguments with my INTP friend.
    Well, imagine that!

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Well, imagine that!
    Yeah, INTPs love to have arguments. Especially pointless arguments.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    Yeah, INTPs love to have arguments. Especially pointless arguments.
    No we don't.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

Yes we do.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Yes we do.
    No we don't and your stupid.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

And you can't punctuate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelchild View Post
    Today it was an argument over the word "stupid." The INTP said that someone is stupid because of an opinion that person holds. (The INTP says this person is being juvenile and forming sweeping opinions that do not make any sense based on the information available.)

I said the person is being stupid, but that we can't say he is stupid. To me, saying a person is stupid means they're 100% stupid, all the time. I think the person is just stupid in this particular case.

My INTP friend says that saying someone is stupid is the same as saying the person is being stupid.

So, NT's, who do you think is right, and what did I say that was so frustrating?
    *rofl*

I think the argument's sort of stupid, and your friend sounds like he's going through typical immature INTP hair-splitting in social situations where his views are being challenged unexpectedly and so he responds in pseudo-rational fashion so that he won't feel like he lost face.

However, he could also think that you are hair-splitting. The deal here: He was upset, his intellectual sensibilities were offended by what this other person had done, and so he was emotionally venting (although it sounded like a rational judgment, because that's how emotions get expressed)... and instead of taking it in that vein, you started hair-splitting with him. (I'm guessing his criticalness irritates you, and so you sort of starting splitting hairs with him as your own way to vent, even if you didn't quite think of it that way.)

This frustrated him even more, and since he had already started this emotional cycle under the guise of pseudo-rationality, and you had followed it up that way in how you challenged him, he now was stuck responding intellectually (while actually just being exasperated) and then got pissed and left.

Next time, if you want to give him what he REALLY wants, you should say something more along the lines of, "It sounds like this person really upset you by how they approached this issue," or some other sort of confirmation of how he's feeling. Or not. Yeah, he might irk you by his complaints and judgments, but if he's your friend, maybe a different approach would be more suitable.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Yes we do, and you're stupider than I am.