• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What am I? ENTP gone INTP?

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hi all,

I'm quite new to MBTI and all this typethingy.
I have taken 3 different tests so far and all showed me as an ENTP so far.

But I really don't seem to be very ENTPish.
When I read the INTP descriptions they seem to fit so much better and then again not.

I love to read. I can sit hours in front of the PC and surf the web using stumble upon or jumping from one interesting topic to another, or gathering in depth knowledge on one particular topic, unwilling to stop till I figured it out completely.
Could this be a weird expression of regarding the web as "the outside world"? So it would again fit ENTP by gathering all my ideas from outside rather than inside?
I also have no problems in social situations. I enjoy them and like to be the center of attention as well. I was a cheerleader for 6 years, can speak in public about any topic you want me to without any preparation at all and all this stuff.
But then however I really love to be alone because I think it's not worth it to deal with the people and rather like being alone with my thoughts, as it seems that I'm the only one who really understands me.

All in all I seem to be pretty borderline and rather an NTP than any of those specific types.

I also think I didn't found my place in life yet. I don't know what to do with it and sail through life without any plan. It often seems that life has a plan with me but I'm unable to grasp it. It has not turned out bad yet. Indeed I can consider myself very lucky and blessed by life. Not really on topic but seemed to fit somehow.

*shrugs*

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think you're introverted. (An introverted is perfectly capable of extraverted behaviour, but it's more about what comes most natural to you.

Anyhow,

It often seems that life has a plan with me but I'm unable to grasp it.

Don't count on that. Unless you're lucky, believing that usually gets you nowhere. :)

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That's the point, both seem to come natural to me :)

And for the lifeplan. Not having a plan by myself does not get me anywhere, too...

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, be glad. Chewing on both sides. :p

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Nothing you've said goes against the ENTP description. Why do you think you're INTP not ENTP?

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I don't think I'm not ENTP. I think I'm INTP as well and to an equal part.

It is totally dependend on the answers I give to the E/I questions. The point is, I can relate to both answers equally.

E.g. on this test here: Personality test based on Jung - Myers-Briggs typology

37. Often you prefer to read a book than go to a party
I can answer Yes and No to this, as it is totally dependend on my mood. I enjoy both.

24. After prolonged socializing you feel you need to get away and be alone
This is a clear No.

17. You spend your leisure time actively socializing with a group of people, attending parties, shopping, etc.
This is a No aswell.

So it seems that I have both I and E tendencies and depending on what I pick on the situational ones I turn out I or E.

Is there another way that indicates my true type better?

I remember reading something about showing your true type under stress.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Years ago, when I was extremely depressed and in the middle of an identity crisis, I thought I was an INTP and I did act, it seemed, like an unhealthy INTP.

Years later now, I find that when I get stressed I act more like an ENTJ than anything else. Bulldozing, insensitive, but relentlessly "getting things done", probably because it's knowing there are lots of "to do" things hanging over my head, appointments, deadlines and shit, is what MAKES me get stressed out, so The General gets wheeled out of my subconscious somewhere to take care of it all, get it all out of the way so I can relax and go back to my easy going self again.

I think the difference between then and now is that before, it was internal stuff that was depressing me, and it somhow made me clam up and avoid people and social interaction, so I passed for an introvert. Whilst now, it's external stuff that gets me stressed as I'm quite happy within myself, so introverting myself doesn't present much of a solution to the problems, instead, just extraverting in a different way.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
37. Often you prefer to read a book than go to a party
I can answer Yes and No to this, as it is totally dependend on my mood. I enjoy both.

24. After prolonged socializing you feel you need to get away and be alone
This is a clear No.

17. You spend your leisure time actively socializing with a group of people, attending parties, shopping, etc.
This is a No aswell.

So it seems that I have both I and E tendencies and depending on what I pick on the situational ones I turn out I or E.

I'd answer those questions the same way you have.

I consider myself to be ENTP although I did go through thinking I was INTJ then INTP. I adore my space and alone time, I'm energised by external things but not necessarily people so being alone is never boring.

This may help, I clearly fell on one side, doesn't work that way for everyone though.

Besides that I'd say quite a few ENTPs go through thinking they're INTPs like subby and me. There's a few threads here on that topic if you do a search, you can check out this to see how other ENTPs consider themselves in terms of being outgoing.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm definitely an ENTP, and I can be outgoing if I have to be.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I relate perfectly!

My theory is that Ne is not a 100% extravated function but actually a very introverted function at times thus why ENTPs often think their INTP.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
As a comment, I think it is possible to be ambiverted.

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
OP sounds like an ENTP to me. Also, his profile pic has the facial expression all of my ENTP friends give me at the bar.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The most simple explanation to the ENTP thinking to be INTP problem is that interaction with the real world always forces you to use a rational function. So if you even want to take a cup out of the cupboard you have to use a coordinated rational approach.

Given that the entp rational function is Ti, its no wonder they are introverted sometimes. I even find it ultra taxing to read in forums. Every poster in a thread resonates a different frequency, so if I would read em all, one after another, I would go totally nuts cause I have to align every new perception I get from a post, with my own introverted thought system of the world.

The ultimate solution will result in headaches, feelings of near madness, insomnia and coffee abuse. Furthermore Ne + Ti will make you either real quite, avoiding contact, cause you feel one more thought and your brain is gonna leave you for good or it will let you appear weird, cause noone got the relation you just draw in your own mind between two unrelated things.

My prescription as a solution to the problem would be, let the Ti rest. Take off your pants and let the Ne + Fe combo out. Its incredibly horrible + weak at best, but at least it will save you from going nuts :D

Willkommen, nebenbei ;)

Qre:us

Hi all,

I'm quite new to MBTI and all this typethingy.
I have taken 3 different tests so far and all showed me as an ENTP so far.

But I really don't seem to be very ENTPish.
When I read the INTP descriptions they seem to fit so much better and then again not.

I love to read. I can sit hours in front of the PC and surf the web using stumble upon or jumping from one interesting topic to another, or gathering in depth knowledge on one particular topic, unwilling to stop till I figured it out completely.
Could this be a weird expression of regarding the web as "the outside world"? So it would again fit ENTP by gathering all my ideas from outside rather than inside?
I also have no problems in social situations. I enjoy them and like to be the center of attention as well. I was a cheerleader for 6 years, can speak in public about any topic you want me to without any preparation at all and all this stuff.
But then however I really love to be alone because I think it's not worth it to deal with the people and rather like being alone with my thoughts, as it seems that I'm the only one who really understands me.

All in all I seem to be pretty borderline and rather an NTP than any of those specific types.

I also think I didn't found my place in life yet. I don't know what to do with it and sail through life without any plan. It often seems that life has a plan with me but I'm unable to grasp it. It has not turned out bad yet. Indeed I can consider myself very lucky and blessed by life. Not really on topic but seemed to fit somehow.

*shrugs*

ENTPs have sometimes been described as the most introverted extravert. I find this statement true for me. I value alone-time greatly, and given circumstances, would much rather prefer 'my own world' than interacting with the 'outside'...it will depend on, again, the situation. Do I most often prefer the former or the latter? It will depend on what place I am at in my life, the environment, etc...so that doesn't help much.

And, another thing that muddled me up when I was trying to determine INTP or ENTP was that when I was in middle-school to early high-school, I was very much so an INTP, but, that's because I found my surroundings quite pathetic/distasteful. Finally, it also depends on how highly your preference is for the thinking function (if you are an ENTP)....because, it is afterall, the judging function, i.e., the function whose face is 'seen'.......and if there is a strong preference, in an ENTP, it may look like an INTP because INTPs do indeed lead with Ti, in theory. I have gotten waay better, but there were a lot of bridges I burned in my adolescence, over my cantankerous attitude of having no patience for logical contradictions in others. In anything...be it talking of lunch, or theory or philosophy.

"How can you say this? And then believe/do that? They're contradictory!! You don't make sense!!! How can I give value to the rest of what you're saying?!! Move yourself and stop wasting my time"

^ I have long ago retired that nasty attitude, as I fully embraced my ENTP-ness (although, it's still there, and I do go at others for it, my Fe balances me out so I'm nice about it in my RL interactions: hundred way to say one thing...and I realized there's much in what people say without just noticing the words that they say)

That's just a case study of me, I'm giving. You may have other issues muddling up your quest to figure out the X-factor of xNTP. Maybe ask yourself if you like to primarily figure out the world around you and then think on it? Or, do you figure out how you think of the world first and then see if it matches with reality?

Fluxkom

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ok, after checking Trinitys link I'm quite convinced that I'm indeed ENTP.

Now for the million dollar question: What to do with my newly found out superpower? :D

und was genau meinst du mit hosen runterlassen entropie? ^^Hai auch.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
sagt ich doch, nicht drüber nachdenken :)