• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Ambiguity in NTP Attitude

ChanD

MBTI Type
ENTP
I have been perusing some of the online descriptions of the NTPs recently, and I have noticed that the line between introversion and extraversion here is extremely blurred. For example, in almost every description I have read of the INTP, they are described as being mostly introverted but very extraverted when given an opportunity to speak about a topic that they are interested in. Similarly, ENTPs are described as primarily extraverted but with a sort of second inner identity which only they and their closest friends glimpse. Why is there so much ambiguity here?

I have a theory, but I am interested in any other possible explanations.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Extraverted - focused on external world.
Introverted - focused on internal world.

Related to how much one talks, but not the same thing. Plus, it's a tendency, not "an INTP will always act this way."

Basically it's related to the functions. ENTPs and INTPs have the same functions, but in different order. ENTPs have NeTi, INTPs TiNe.

ENTPs primarily work by Extraverted Intuition. They primarily gather new ideas in the external world, and secondarily internally analyze that information with Introverted Thinking.
INTPs primarily analyze, and secondarily gather information.

It's all a matter of priorities and degrees. ENTPs prioritize the external world, INTPs prioritize the internal world.

Also, this applies for all E/I pairs.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I have been perusing some of the online descriptions of the NTPs recently, and I have noticed that the line between introversion and extraversion here is extremely blurred.

Believe me, the dividing line is not that blurry. E/I is usually one of the most obvious differences.

The ENTPs I know are wildly different than the INTPs, and when I say "wild", I mean it literally! :banana2:

The striking difference is the use of Fe that allows the energy of the Ne to be directed outwards.

There's no way I'd ever wish to be an INTP one day, considering the sample we have here on Typology-c. While I can understand some, overall they seem a very alien type, according to me. INTPs are the ultimate rationalists, devoid of almost any emotion. They are very cold, and often slightly masochistic (INTJs being the cold sadistic ones).
ENTPs aren't like that, they repress less what they really have in mind, they seek potential audiences everywhere.

---

But anyway. What is your theory?

It could be interesting to hear it.

ChanD

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, I have just realized that my theory is flawed, as it was based on introversion and extraversion in terms of how much one talks. However, Costrin has reminded me that it is based on ones focus; the world or oneself, regardless of interactions.

Anyway, the theory was basicly that, being Ps and thus somewhat adaptable, that an INTP placed in a social enviornment which emphasizes extraversion as a positive quality will become more social, with the opposite holding true for the ENTP. I thought that this would draw a connection between the "chameleon" quality of the INTP and the "Inner-self" quality of the ENTP, but I have since realized that both tendencies have different causes and different purposes.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTPs are the ultimate rationalists, devoid of almost any emotion. They are very cold, and often slightly masochistic (INTJs being the cold sadistic ones).

Wow! Not much ambiguity in that statement !

At least we aren't evil narcissists.

duende

MBTI Type
INTP
As you seem to have already figured out, your OP displays a misunderstanding of what it means to be extroverted or introverted.

Its true, as an INTP, I can "do extroversion" when given the proper motivation, such as discussing an interesting topic, but because I am an introvert, as soon as the discussion is over I need a significant period of mental isolation to recover from the effort. Similarly, in my experience, ENTPs can "do introversion", given sufficient reason, but will need to recharge with a hefty dose of extroversion, afterwards.

I sometimes view it in electrical terms: When introverting, I'm on direct current and can keep going indefinitely. When extroverting, I'm on battery power and will soon run dry. The opposite would be true for an extrovert.