First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ravana View Post
    so i am right. yipeee
    Impressive research skillz.
    Still, I wouldn't give up the day job just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INTP

I remember being more the encyclopedia type when I was a kid/teen. But as I gained more social awareness, and saw how the walking encyclopedia thing wasn't exactly social gold, I toned it down a lot. These days, I don't really store information the way I used to. I devour information, but then I just kind of have a vague sense of it, and I remember where to go to look it up again if I need to. Sometimes it's frustrating, because someone will bring something up, and I'll remember that I read something about that, but I won't remember any of the details.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I remember being more the encyclopedia type when I was a kid/teen. But as I gained more social awareness, and saw how the walking encyclopedia thing wasn't exactly social gold, I toned it down a lot. These days, I don't really store information the way I used to. I devour information, but then I just kind of have a vague sense of it, and I remember where to go to look it up again if I need to. Sometimes it's frustrating, because someone will bring something up, and I'll remember that I read something about that, but I won't remember any of the details.
    This is exactly my experience. In middle school I used to spout off different facts that I knew (I used to store up random information about animals...then I got hold of a Gray's Anatomy), but then this tactic ultimately got me shunned and disliked, so I stopped. Nowadays, I get the gist of something but have a hard time in discussions because I don't remember the details. I compensate by bringing notes with me.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Enneagram
    9w8

I did it when I was younger, and still do now, to a certain extent - I am and will be involved in the academic world for some time, where it is slightly more acceptable. My mind for facts is very reference-oriented: someone mentions one thing, I remember eight different facts related to it, begin speaking on one of them and then remember more and more as I share information about the subject.

It's not a matter of showing off, or gaining validation - I just love teaching, and learning. I'm very animated when expounding on subjects that fascinate and excite me, but very dry and monotone when it comes to humor. Often is the experience had of me laughing to myself about something, a person querying about it, and me responding with a "Oh, it's nothing. ...*turns away & smiles to self*."

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    This is exactly my experience. In middle school I used to spout off different facts that I knew (I used to store up random information about animals...then I got hold of a Gray's Anatomy), but then this tactic ultimately got me shunned and disliked, so I stopped. Nowadays, I get the gist of something but have a hard time in discussions because I don't remember the details. I compensate by bringing notes with me.
    you carry notes about random topics?

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Impressive research skillz.
    Still, I wouldn't give up the day job just yet.
    it's too late.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Not really. If it was a natural history encyclopedia, then sure.

I'm just a reclusive joke-dispenser, really. It gets tiring.
    Um, yeah.

MBTI
    INTP

I know a lot(in my opinion, ha. compared to my peers...) but I don't generally talk about it.
    People come to me and ask questions about random things, and I'll answer them, though.
    Example: I was reading a copy of Frankenstein that happened to be a "SAT-score raising" thing with definitions on the side. My irritating friend thought I was doing this to raise my score, and I replied, irritated, "No, I know all those words already. I'm reading this because I got it in exchange for volunteer hours."
    He didn't believe me and quizzed me on the words in the book. I knew them all.
    So, if you give me the chance, I will be a shameless info whore. >>

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Ultimate definition of a personal computer.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ravana View Post
    or maybe they do have it but doesn't have the instant recollection ability or not willing to contribute?
    As Orangey and lulah have pointed out, it's not a particularly socially acceptable thing to do. Also, I usually don't feel the need to share what I know with others. I do occasionally do the rattle-off-everything-I-know-about-a-topic at work (in relation to my projects, which I'm genuinely interested in) and then belatedly realise the person's gone blank on me. It's fun if the other person is actually interested, but that's rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentium View Post
    My mind for facts is very reference-oriented: someone mentions one thing, I remember eight different facts related to it, begin speaking on one of them and then remember more and more as I share information about the subject.
    This. If it's something I haven't thought about for a while, then sometimes it can take several days or a week for everything attached to that particular reference word to bubble up.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.